Sublime Forum

No Package Control after updating to Sublime Text 4?

So, excited as I was, I installed Sublime Text 4 on a machine that some time ago had Sublime Text 3 installed, and… I just can’t wrap my head around how I’m to install Package Control.

Now, in my command palette I have Preferences: Package Control Settings, and that’s it. I can’t neither open or install it. What do I do?

0 Likes

Sounds like you have it installed already.

0 Likes

Yeah well uh, I’d love to be able to use it then :grimacing:

I don’t remember what the folder structure used to be, but now I do have some files in Packages/User, like Package Control.last-run, Package Control.merged-ca-bundle, Package Control.sublime-settings, but I can’t open Package Control from inside of Sublime Text.

I should probably add that I’m using Mac

0 Likes

When you open the Command Palette, there should be an entry called “Package Control: Install Package”. Is that entry not present?

0 Likes

It’s not. Anyways, I fixed it by deleting system cache files for Sublime and re-installing it

1 Like

I have the same issue on my Ubuntu system.
On the first start after upgrading to ST4 there was warning message that LSP plugin is not supported and should be deleted and reinstalled. So I went to command palette and tried to search for package control - nothing found.
I definitely have package control installed and it worked in ST3.
Any clues how can I delete LSP manually? (Package Control is absent in command palette).

0 Likes

Have you checked your ignored_packages setting to see if Package Control is not accidentally ignored ?

0 Likes

Thank you. Package Control was in ignored packages list. But I didn’t put it there. Looks like it was added to ignored packages by ST4 installation.

0 Likes

ST4 doesn’t mess with packages. There was a bug at some point with package control that could cause that though iirc

0 Likes

It’s a known issue Package Control to put itself into ignored_packages sometimes. Several changes were made to avoid it, but it seems to still happen occationally. It is mainly caused by the way dependencies are handled, which should be fixed with PC 4.0 which is under development.

0 Likes

I also had some issues after upgrading to ST4, and went for a fresh start: Renamed the old ST3 config folder to ~/.config/sublime-text-3 to be able to reference my old settings, let ST4 create a fresh ~/.config/sublime-text and re-installed Package Control, and packages.

The only problem I have found so far is the awesome Compare Side-By-Side open up the two tabs in the right hand side …

0 Likes