Sublime Forum

Sublime Merge

This is awesome! I’ve been using SourceTree for some time, and I’ve been starting to get frustrated with some of the bugs I’ve run into and how slow it runs.

One thing I will need for it to be my daily driver is worktree support.

One thing I would love to have, is tabbed repos instead of one window per repo. I have 5 at work that I work with on a regular basis, and that means 5 windows.

But otherwise, I’m extremely excited for the future of Sublime Merge. So incredibly fast compared to the tools I’ve used in the past. Thanks for all your work!

0 Likes

This threw me off as well. If you try to change the font_face setting you’ll notice it is wrapped in double quotes.
It seems to me that the Preferences interface is a shortcut to editing the underlying JSON file, so if a setting would be a string in the JSON file it should be wrapped in double quotes.

0 Likes

The value that you’re entering in there is being converted to JSON, so you need to ensure that you double up on the path separators, like C:\\Program Files\\Git\\Bin for example.

0 Likes

That would be nice, being able ‘solo’ the branch of the selected commit would be great as well.

I’m seeing some inconsistencies with how .gitignore files are being handled as well, even when git_binary is set to system.

1 Like

In my opinion, the editor should be doing this translation for me. Also, it should provide feedback of some kind to indicate an error (and ideally, why the error is occurring). I shouldn’t have to know how things work under the covers.

That said, thanks for the info. I’ll give it another try.

0 Likes

Is Sublime Text EOL now ? Please confirm.

With Regards
Gagan

0 Likes

[https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18031067](ofc not)

A new build of Sublime Text shouldn’t be too far off, there are some nice thing’s that we’ve added into Sublime Merge (e.g., an update theme system), that I want to roll into Sublime Text.

3 Likes

I’m probably not the target audience since I actually really like Git’s command line tooling, but…

Basically what gets me very interested in smerge is the potential for it to drive a three-way merge with SublimeText’s syntax highlighting and keybinds. Literally, I want to be able to use it as the editor that I have set for git config --global merge.tool. Unfortunately, as per @jps’s comment from earlier, it appears this isn’t possible.

So consider that feature requested! That alone would be worth me paying money, and that’s probably the only feature I would care about. Beyond that, this is shiny and cool, but doesn’t actually help me (especially without worktree support, but even with worktrees, I’d probably just stick to the command line).

2 Likes

I’m seeing an issue with a .gitignore file like this:

!.gitignore
!/sub_directory/

The files in sub_directory are being shown as untracked, but when running git status on the command line the working directory is clean. The only reason I discovered this is because my .gitignore file is wrong.

I was attempting to include the files in sub_directory like Sublime Merge is showing, but according to how gitignore is supposed to work (and how git on the command line is actually working) is that the * on line 1 affects the directory of the .gitignore file as well all sub directories as explained here in the last example.

If I change line 1 to /* or add /sub_directory/** to the end, command line git will include the files in the sub directory.

0 Likes

This is possible already; if you select a line, the stage button changes from Stage Hunk to Stage Lines.

1 Like

I’ve just been trying out Sublime Merge and it looks great! I love the speed & how easy it is to bring up the history and blame for a file. Coming from GitKraken I also really appreciate that I can see my entire commit message instead of just 3 lines that I have to scroll!

It doesn’t seem to have any built in support for private repo key management yet. Is this on the roadmap? It’s something I’ve found really useful in other git clients because configuring automatic SSH logins via pageant or MingW’s ssh-agent on Windows can be a huge pain (especially when you have more than one key to deal with).

0 Likes

Also, is there a discount (my apologies for being cheap) for paid ST users ? :slight_smile:

Thanks
Gagan

2 Likes

Just a (meta) thought: maybe would be better to create a sub-category to #technical-support for sublime merge? :slight_smile:

(and while we’re at, maybe announces are made in a new category, called… well, Announces?)

3 Likes

I mean on displaying the text :fire: nearly everything I use every day does this, although each with their own quirks.

0 Likes

Missing for me, in no particular order:

• a way to specify some special option to standard command: one stuff I do all the time is the the merge --squash for example
  • A quick link to open sub-repository
  • Tab for multiple repo
  • In the view tree, a context menu for the file history

And a question: In the blog post sublime merge is supposed to use the custom syntax highlight from Sublime: is it already implemented, and if yes is there a way to have it working for portable installation ?

0 Likes

Yes it is implemented. We look in the standard config path on your OS for a Sublime Text install and load .tmLanguage and .sublime-syntax files from there. If you wanted to add from a portal install, you’d probably have to copy the syntax definitions into the Merge Packages folder.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Someone will just write a python package for it. As there’s pretty much no point since it’s non-standard string-to-character conversion

shit just works fam

0 Likes

[sidenote] wait wait wait. What are you using to lookup those emojis? I must have!

0 Likes

unpinned #62
0 Likes

pinned globally #63
0 Likes