Sublime Forum

Sublime Merge

We’re pleased to announce Sublime Merge is now available - https://www.sublimemerge.com

Let us know if you have any questions!

Resources

19 Likes

pinned #2
0 Likes

Cool. Just downloaded it. Does it need a local git binary or will all be handled by Sublime Merge itselfs? I wanted to try it out on a Windows PC without git and I don’t get any error message but cloning also didn’t work because of time outs.

1 Like

We bundle Git on Windows and Mac, so you shouldn’t need git installed there.

FWIW there’s a git_binary preference that you can set to either a full path, or “system”, to use the system Git, if any.

0 Likes

Hi! I’m really digging the speed of Sublime Merge, but I’m having issues with git-lfs at the moment.

I have installed git-lfs via Homebrew on macOS and specified my homebrewed git binary via git_binary, but that does not seem to help, I keep receiving the following message whenever I try to push to a repository that has Git LFS enabled serverside:

This repository is configured for Git LFS but 'git-lfs' was not found on your path. If you no longer wish to use Git LFS, remove this hook by deleting .git/hooks/pre-push.

Obviously, I’d like to keep using git-lfs, so deleting the hook is not an option (for this particular repository). Is there any way to get this working?

Thanks!

EDIT: Solution below as per Homebrew FAQ:

sudo launchctl config user path "/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

A reboot afterwards is required.

0 Likes

Husky pre-commit hook failing in Sublime Merge

It sounds like we are running the git binary you asked (Help|Debug Information will help to confirm that), but perhaps not with the PATH that it needs to run successfully.

I’ll take a proper look into what the options are later (I’m a bit swamped right now!), but if it is a PATH issue, then the best option is probably editing environment.plist, which is where Mac applications get their PATH from

1 Like

Could you share a sample editor configuration for VSCode, please?

0 Likes

Yes, I can confirm via Help|Debug that the correct version of git is being used.

I figured it out and got it working. According to the Homebrew documentation, you need to run:

sudo launchctl config user path "/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

and then – after a reboot – your apps can use your homebrewed binaries (including git-lfs). Hope this can be useful for someone else who has the same issue.

0 Likes

This is amazing!! excellent would this work inside Sublime.

0 Likes

Just downloaded, I love it already!

One question, is there a way to bookmark repositories? I work with several repos and it would be great to have a way to quick switch between the ones I use the most instead of going to “Open Recent” every time.

– Never mind, I just found the “Select Repository” and “Switch Repository” windows.

1 Like

Try Switch Repository - you’ll get a Goto Anything style dialog to open a repository

2 Likes

I cant figure out how to switch the default pull strategy.
I would also like to completely disable push --force, so I don’t run it accidentaly, and only have --force-with-lease available.

is it possible?

Thanks!

1 Like

SourceTree is able to use plink.exe and the keys from pageant. Is there a way to do the same with Sublime Merge?

0 Likes

Thanks @jps this looks sweet. Couple of things:

• How does it handle git-hooks?
  • “Enter Full Screen” seems like a weird option under the Tools menu, maybe it fits better under the Windows menu?
  • Is this thing going to be extensible with python plugins, too?
  • When I scroll all the way down, I get a blank screen with three dots above.
  • The “from” operator is not documented when you open the search panel. i.e. when I click on “Hunk History” there’s this “from:” string in the search query but it is not documented and I don’t really understand what it is doing.
1 Like

https://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-merge

We have a custom implementation of Git for reading repositories, which drives a lot of our high performance functionality. However we defer to Git itself for operations that mutate the repository (Staging, Committing, Checking out branches, etc).

so hooks are handled by Git as normal I guess

yes, https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18030933

1 Like

"editor_argument_format": "-g ${file}:${line}:${col}",
"editor_path": "c:\\some_path\\VSCode\\Code.exe",
0 Likes

I am not able to answer if Sublime Merge can do that natively but if you have git installed locally(normal) it can be setup to use plink:

If you do not see the screen during the install of git, make sure you have at least one session stored in putty, then try to install git again, it should now give you the option to use plink as the SSH executable

1 Like

Just installed and started playing around with it. Really cool!

Found a bug: It doesn’t seem to be respecting my .gitignore_global file. It’s located in my home directory but is symlinked to a copy in a dotfiles directory. Let me know if more details are needed.

0 Likes

How can I install the smerge command?

0 Likes

ln -s /Applications/Sublime\ Merge.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/smerge /usr/local/bin/smerge did the trick for me

0 Likes