Sublime Forum

ST3 Freezing up on anyone else?

problem not solved, i have been experiencing this issue for the past few released versions. i do not have any packages installed other than the ones that come with st3.

0 Likes

OH sorry, Mark4. Just meant it had stopped for me! This issue will remain live here, I am sure. Have you still been experiencing crashing?

0 Likes

Hello all,

I’m having the same crash with the spinning wheel, but it’s on launching Sublime Text 3. The freeze occurs when the latest build message (3103) appears. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled ST3 and restarted my system several times, but it keeps freezing. I have the full error report, but it’s a bit long to post here.

Up to now, ST3 is my primary editor and IDE. I’d love to see a fix. Thanks!

0 Likes

I’m having the same freezing problem on Ubuntu 64bit. I downloaded the evaluation version and was considering to register the software, but this constant freezing is a show stopper for me. Looks like a process called plugin_host is consuming 100% of cpu time.

0 Likes

I think the same happens to me, but only while using one specific plugin SideBarEnhancement…
so far i noticed, and only if operations on the folders are done that involve a refresh of the folder diplay, for ex 4-5 items removed,
created an issue on the plugin developers github, so far no respons…
https :// github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarEnhancements/issues/312

also created a topic in hopes of getting more help investigating the problem:
https :// Sublime_text 3 freezing if a large project is loaded

Issue can be reproduced, using Ubuntu15.10 and Subl 3103 or the new B3111

0 Likes

I think i might have a solution… check out the conclusion on this thread:

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 was freezing at me right off the bat, no matter how many times I tried removing it and installing it over again. I uninstalled Wamp (Apache, MySQL, PHP) and Git - same problem. Then I tried installing Sublime Text 3 32-bit (x86), and IT WORKED. Apparently it was a x64 problem for me. Now Sublime and everything else are running just fine. I hope this helps someone else!

0 Likes

Had freezing problem in sublime text 3 on its startup in Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04. Removing of ~/.config/sublime-text3 directory with all contents fixed the issue. So looks like the problem was in some plugin.

0 Likes

There was an issue between the built in JavaScript syntax and the third-party MarkdownEditing package when viewing or indexing some markdown files. Dev build 3125 added a workaround for this and added some functionality for inspecting the indexer.

Edit: Beta 3126 is out also.

0 Likes

Probably you are right. Mr. prubini87
I´m still doing some tests, but it seems that the 32bit version is work fine now on win10 64bit.
i will come back late on after some other tests done.

0 Likes

I still have the issue and I’ve already removed the MarkdownEditing plugin.
Lately the main process of the sublime (subl) take 100% of a core and the GUI becomes unresponsive.
After a while, 1 to 5 minutes, all return normal until the next freeze.

Fedora 25, Sublime Text 3 3125 Dev.

1 Like

Same problem here. Have gotten rid of the plugins noted. Opening a 600 line compiled CSS file is almost impossible and takes a good 20-30 seconds. The same with a 74 line Sass variables file. PHP and js files are normal. I am using the 64 bit version. If the Sass file is open when I open ST3, it will take 20 seconds before its usuable.

Can I uninstall and install the 32 bit without losing all my plugins and settings?

0 Likes

On Mac.
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Sublime\ Text\ 3/Local
ls -ln
rm Auto Save Session.sublime_session

This will create a new session and eliminate whatever was causing the app crash. I would also disable and enable plugins one by one to check if that’s causing any crashes.

1 Like

Tried with a fresh install (moved the Sublime Text 3 folder elsewhere) and the problem is still present.
Downgraded to an older version and in two weeks I had no freeze.
my problem is not plugin related.

Thanks,
Frank

0 Likes

I followed what artem328 did and moved my ~/.config/sublime-text3 to ~/.config/sublime-text31 then started sublime again…Still frozen…So I deleted the new ~/.config/sublime-text3 directory and copied ~/.config/sublime-text31 back to ~/.config/sublime-text3 AND IT WORKED

0 Likes

Same exact thing happens to me.

0 Likes

It may be a problem with circular symbolic links. I just started having the freezing problem so I added my build folder to the "folder_exclude_patterns": in the Sublime settings and it seems to be ok now. I think it was causing circular indexing that would never end. Somehow, over-night, my build structure must have added a symlink that completed the infinite symlink loop when I built some package or something from source.

0 Likes

Confirmed! If I open up that project and comment out the excluded folder, then resave my settings, I get instant freezing again in the very moment I click the save button. The indexer must be stuck infinitely indexing.

0 Likes

I couldn’t even open Sublime Text after this. I had to force kill it by running xkill from a terminal then clicking the window to close, then I had to manually go to ~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings and open the file in an alternate text editor to fix it. I then had to restart my computer and open up Sublime again. Now that I have excluded the culprit folder again in this settings file Sublime Text 3 opens and works just fine!

Perhaps there is some way for the developer to identify circular symlinks and not follow them indefinitely?

PS here’s my Sublime settings file now:

{
	"color_scheme": "Packages/Color Scheme - Default/Monokai.tmTheme",
	"folder_exclude_patterns":
	[
		".svn",
		".git",
		".hg",
		"CVS",
		"build_folder_with_circular_symbolic_links*" //THIS IS IMPORTANT! OTHERWISE THERE ARE CIRCULAR SYMLINKS OR SOMETHING AND SUBLIME WILL CONTINUALLY CRASH!
	],
	"ignored_packages":
	[
		"Vintage"
	],
	"rulers":
	[
	],
	"tab_size": 4,
	"theme": "Default.sublime-theme",
	"translate_tabs_to_spaces": true,
	"word_wrap": "auto",
	"wrap_width": 0
}
0 Likes

We currently do this by checking the inode information of a folder, and we don’t catalog the contents if we’ve seen it before. The reflection of this in the UI using the Default theme is a folder with a chain link on it.

The question is, what is going on with your machine that a symlink is resulting in different inode numbers so that we are infinitely cataloging a recursive structure. That is, assuming what is going on.

0 Likes