Sublime Forum

ST3 crashes frequently since Build 3124

@addons_zz

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime_text.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: sublime_text.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 57e31520
Hang Signature: 31b0
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1046
Additional Hang Signature 1: 31b087541955550a442d554b711a9642
Additional Hang Signature 2: f615
Additional Hang Signature 3: f615bfc75c2af4cd2f8f249282927cb9
Additional Hang Signature 4: 31b0
Additional Hang Signature 5: 31b087541955550a442d554b711a9642
Additional Hang Signature 6: f615
Additional Hang Signature 7: f615bfc75c2af4cd2f8f249282927cb9

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 750c6593790669f8463b55d20b796540 (129223705224)

Just so you know that today it hasn’t crashed once yet, and I don’t know why.

0 Likes

@wbond Portable version seems fine!

So, might be a windows problem…

Thanks anyway.

At home I use Linux, but have not tested the new version yet.

Cheers!

0 Likes

I have the same issue since the update.

However i was able to trace the issue on to the new feature of show_definitions.

While it works on my custom functions, sublime crashes as soon as i hover over a mocha or chai function.

A simple fix to stop it from crashing was to disable the setting.
Hope this helps someone.

0 Likes

If this happens again, you may start playing with the Sublime Text Program folder access restrictions on those folders bellow:

With these folders, if they exist:
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Sublime Text 3
%APPDATA%\Local\Sublime Text 3
C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sublime Text 3\

I am not sure if only this setting I am setting will be enough, so you may see the other tabs.

1 Like

Hi,

Also having issues since the update.
It starts out fine but gradually grinds to a halt.

Don’t know if it’s relevant but opening up Task Manager shows Sublime.exe starting out with 1 instance. Over time, even if I’m not using it at all, the number of instances grows.
After about 4 or 5 instances it becomes sluggish. Beyond that, it’s practically unresponsive.

0 Likes

Please try dev build 3125 and see [Solved] High CPU Usage in Beta 3124 for more info.

0 Likes

Thank you sir!
Back down to 1 instance and running smoothly.

1 Like

@wbond

For me here kept the same thing… on the dev version asked the license first and I did not even had the chance to add it:

0 Likes

We haven’t yet reproduced the issue you are seeing, so dev build 3125 doesn’t address that. 3125 deals with the JavaScript syntax interactions with the MarkdownEditing and Jade packages, along with tweaks to the indexer processes.

It seems as though there is something going on with Windows 10 and sublime_text.exe. It seems as though it is some sort of a permissions issue since running as Administrator seems to fix it, and running a Portable install helps. I’ve tried to reproduce the issue on my Windows 10 VM, but have not been able to yet.

If you don’t mind doing a little legwork, you could try stepping back through the releases on https://www.sublimetext.com/3dev until you find one that doesn’t freeze. That may help us in determining what could be causing the issue.

0 Likes

@wbond thanks for the reply! I am already using the old version, I will keep around just to help test if it’s needed. Cheers!

0 Likes

Which dev build version is working for you?

0 Likes

I have stable version wokring as below, dev version, just tested the one you post it here, 3125 which is not working.

Stable versions working fine are:

1. 3114 (regularinstalation)
  2. 3124 (portable)
  3. 3124 (installed under root drive c: (windows)
0 Likes

Here are some other versions of Windows x64 if anyone wants to take the time to see if a specific build is when the issue started (installing within Program Files):

1 Like

After updating to 3124, I wasn’t able to start it anymore, unless I do it with admin privileges. Although when I use admin privileges, I have trouble accessing files outside of C:.
I’ve also tried other versions, but none of them will work. It ends up crashing after placing the mouse over the window, no matter which version I’m using.

0 Likes

It looks like a problem on the Sublime Text Updater, which is not setting the new files permissions correctly. So, to solve this problem, do not use the auto-updater. Manually download the portable version, go to C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\, backup and delete everything, unzip the portable version contents there, and delete its ‘Sublime Text 3\Data’ folder after it. Now you are done, and your Sublime Text is manually updated.

While doing this, the Windows will complain about file access permission, then click on request access and continue.

0 Likes

This isn’t universally true. I’ve tried to reproduce the error by using the updater to upgrade from 3114 to 3124 and everything seems to run fine.

Can anyone who is having trouble with this error confirm that wiping the folder C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\ solves the issue for them?

0 Likes

I did this and other similar tries many times - none of them resulted in success.
I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, cleaning user data, but nothing resulted in having it working.
It doesn’t seem to be a files permission problem, as Sublime crashes only after moving the mouse over it on a non-admin session.

0 Likes

It did not solved the issue for me…

0 Likes

Could you perhaps try a couple of the dev builds I linked to and see if any of them work? I’m trying to determine when during the past few months of development this bug may have been introduced.

0 Likes

I could not understand correctly. What is a non-admin session? Could you show all packages you got installed?

May you reproduce it (the crash) on a vanilla install?

0 Likes