Sublime Forum

No toolbar available?

Hi,

I’m new to Sublime, but an experienced user of many other code editors like Notepad++, Textpad, and many more. Something I miss with Sublime is an actual toolbar for common file operations, bookmark operations, UI preference toggles, etc. I don’t see this in Sublime and can’t find any reference on the Web about it. In short, where can I find a toolbar? Do I have to create my own? How can I create a toolbar?

Thanks,

– Daniel

2 Likes

Optional top icon bar

The trick with ST2 is to learn the command palette… Ctrl-Shift-P (Win) will open it. From there you can start typing any of the menu commands (and hidden commands) that are available. I came from a background of heavy Notepad++ use as well and after using ST2 for awhile now, key binds and the command palette are where the magic is.

For example, when I want to start writing a new CSS file: Ctrl-N (duh), Ctrl-Shift-P, CSS, Enter. This runs the “Set Syntax: CSS” command. It sounds easier to click on a menu, or toolbar button, but once you get used to this its so much faster.

Also, if you haven’t already, open up the key binds file and peruse through it - try to use as many as you can so you see what they do. It helped me a ton. :smile:

But to answer your question, I don’t think there’s a toolbar at all. I believe ST1 had one, but it appears to have been ditched along the way.

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply SeanWcom.

I guess I’ll have to memorize the key bindings like I did with VI and EMACS back in the days where I was heavily into UNIX.

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Likes

IDEA: I prefer no toolbar, if at some point a toolbar is added, please add it as a vertical toolbar! :bulb:

0 Likes

I don’t see anything bad in having a toolbar at hand. If it’s made optional those who want to use it could activate it in the options. I see the power in keyboard shortcuts etc etc, but I would love to have a customizable toolbar where I can add what I want and place it wherever I want it to be situated; vertical, horizontal and auto-adjusting to window size. I often use a combination of keyboard shortcuts and the toolbar.

0 Likes

Sublime text 2 DOES have a toolbar!

Just press the ALT key on your keyboard and it will pop up =)

0 Likes

[quote=“fatalentity”]Sublime text 2 DOES have a toolbar!

Just press the ALT key on your keyboard and it will pop up =)[/quote]

By definition that is not a toolbar. It’s a menu control.

0 Likes

I know this thread is a bit old but didn’t see any recent discussions… ^ Ditto and I agree with above quote.
Is there a good reason why a toolbar isn’t allowed to be turned on/off from View menu anymore (ST2)?
If you want it off, just allow it to be turned off in View ala ST1. Or even default it that way if it is so bothersome to some ppl…
I like being able to single click to Save File and Undo/Redo in particular. imo you can’t beat a single mouse click for any keyboard mapping.
Is this available in ST3?

0 Likes

What?! This is an editor, so you have your hands constantly on the keyboard. And you want to tell me that moving your hand away from keyboard to mouse and targeting a small icon is actually faster than hitting Ctrl+S? I doubt it. There is a reason for vim still being popular these days. Nothing beats keyboard handling in efficiency and productivity.

I like Sublime without toolbar because it encourages you to learn keyboard shortcuts, which makes you much more productive in the end!

Nope.

0 Likes

That’s your opinion and I respect it., but I have my reasons just like you have yours.

But that wasn’t my point:
I use keyboard shortcuts, too. But, I also happen to use toolbar frequently (click for new file/etc) during the course of my 12 hour days…
Still don’t know why the option was removed from View menu.
As I said (and I will repeat): keep it defaulted ‘unchecked’ under View menu, then. Is that so painful??

As aside- I also love how I have to use SHIFT-ALT-W to wrap a html tag now. Just don’t use CTRL in that combo by accident.
(You use to be able to ’ “tag” + tab ’ to wrap most any tag. Not any more … because it is ‘improved’. Shift+Alt+W gives you a

. Joy.)
Guess I will just stick with ST1 - don’t see a good reason to ‘improve’ it right now.

0 Likes

I totally agree. It’s not true that just because you are using a text editor you have to keep your hands on the keyboard all the time. For example, last night I was using pen and tablet on my lap, with the laptop some distance away, and the on-screen keyboard. But even when I sit at my desk, sometimes I find myself aiming for the save button, and when it’s not there I have to click on File and then on Save, which is two clicks instead one. Also, icons are visual, which means you don’t have to read a menu to pick the right command, so they are easier to use and ideal for very common tasks.

I know typing Ctrl-S is very easy, but it requires the left hand and I use the mouse with my left hand.

0 Likes

Doesn’t this helps? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15850#p59615

0 Likes

github.com/titoBouzout/Toolbar not good font is weird, but welll…

would be amazing to use font-awesome there

0 Likes

[quote=“kileytoo”]

and Undo/Redo in particular. imo you can’t beat a single mouse click for any keyboard mapping.

I know typing Ctrl-S is very easy, but it requires the left hand and I use the mouse with my left hand.[/quote]

So you wiggle your mouse and suddenly decide to save? You’re not doing text editing right… but at this point you should remap ctrl+s to a single function key. Toolbars are always wrong.

0 Likes

Im sorry, I drink mate and coffee, I also can scratching … so I don’t have my both hands available. A Toolbar is helpful to press the button “Save”. It is you the wrong one, assuming everyone works like you. I’m not going to throw my mouse and move my hand to the keyboard to hit the keymap, just because you said so.

And I would preffer a vertical toolbar because in the wide portion there is lot of room. If you don’t like a toolbar just hide it.

0 Likes

That looks like a nice workaround… thanks, will look into it.

0 Likes

Looks good, thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“JacobWille”]

and Undo/Redo in particular. imo you can’t beat a single mouse click for any keyboard mapping.

I know typing Ctrl-S is very easy, but it requires the left hand and I use the mouse with my left hand.

So you wiggle your mouse and suddenly decide to save? You’re not doing text editing right… but at this point you should remap ctrl+s to a single function key.[/quote]

You mean that you save your text right after typing it, so your hands should be on the keyboard rather than on the mouse? I guess you you’re right. The thing is that I was trying to figure out why some people needs a toolbar and some don’t, and then I realized that if I was using the mouse with my right hand I would have no problem at all using Ctrl-s all the time, so it must happen because I use the mouse with my left hand. Now, I am not sure exactly when or why does it happen that I need to save while using the mouse… maybe I save too much, I think sometimes I do it two or three times, just to be sure… especially with programs that do not gray out the icon after a save (and light it up after you did some editing)…

…wait! That’s another advantage of having a proper toolbar button! Now I wonder if there is a similar visual clue in ST…

P.S. I don’t want to remap Ctrl-S because it’s standard in other applications I use.

0 Likes

+1 for an iconic Toolbar to be added to ST3.

0 Likes

[quote=“schlamar”]

What?! This is an editor, so you have your hands constantly on the keyboard. And you want to tell me that moving your hand away from keyboard to mouse and targeting a small icon is actually faster than hitting Ctrl+S? I doubt it. There is a reason for vim still being popular these days. Nothing beats keyboard handling in efficiency and productivity.

I like Sublime without toolbar because it encourages you to learn keyboard shortcuts, which makes you much more productive in the end!
Nope.[/quote]

That’s great for you. Others may not want to work exactly the same way as you do. It’s not a zero-sum game.

0 Likes