Sublime Forum

No toolbar available?

While I appreciate that you might be a text writer, there are a lot of different use scenarios. For one, I’m not a “writer”. I take vast gobs of a lot of text, then grind it out in various ways and toss it off to be consumed by another program. It just depends on what you do as to whether a toolbar and mouse serves better than all keystrokes. There is absolutely best use cases for mice and menus.

0 Likes

0 Likes

When reviewing code I like to use a mouse right click to goto definition and in most editors I can jump back by clicking on “navigation” buttons in the tool bar. I can do all this very quickly without touching the keyboard. But with sublime I keep having to let go of my mouse to press alt ‘-’ every time I want to jump back. I understand people who are fast with the keyboard liking key bindings but what is the argument for NOT ALLOWING a choice? There is none. Last time I checked toolbars don’t prevent anyone from using key bindings. Just default a toolbar to be off so it won’t bother people who don’t like them but leave an option to turn it on for the rest of us.

Nice editor by the way!

0 Likes

I guess it’s just a question of priorities. Why waste resources for a feature 99% of the user base won’t use?

Those 99% of users alway complain vise versa. They don’t want to keep their fingers from keyboard as moving the mouse around is said to be slow.

With an overall look at how GUIs are changing those concepts of main menus or general purpose toolbars seem to be some legacy stuff from the 90s.

You could easily add a context menu item next to your “goto definition” to go back. If context menu is good enough for the one why not for the other function, too?

0 Likes