Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

Can we get a .icns version of that?

0 Likes

Just wanted to share the .icns-file I built using the file Squiggle provided. The ā€œSā€ wasnā€™t my cup of tea, so I removed it. Been using the one from natebeaty before, but I like this one a lot better. :smile:
Sublime Text 2.zip (80.7 KB)

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œaparajitaā€]

Can we get a .icns version of that?[/quote]

Itā€™s back on page 6: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1558&start=50#p9365

0 Likes

Are there plans to add file type icons?
Embedding just a few in the main exe might be worth the small effort.

I use the portable version of ST2 and a script that associates all the sublime preferences/settings files with ST2.
And I made this quick icon just to help me distinguish between these files and others.

file_sublime.zip (9.28 KB)

Iā€™d like to have a couple more as generic as possible just to visually distinguish some of the various code file types I use. But Iā€™m not much of a designer and the icons Iā€™ve tried making donā€™t stand out like they should when they are small.

Edit: Sorry I hope my message doesnā€™t detract from the logo discussion, but I think this itā€™s relevant enough for the designers here to take a look at.
Thanks In advance :smile:

0 Likes

Though I DO believe the current icon is sufficient, it IS rather annoying to have a linux terminal open on the task bar along with an instance of Sublimeā€¦ When Iā€™m in ā€œmouse modeā€, I will 9 times out of 10 accidentally click the wrong app a few times. The icons just look too similar.

No biggie, I can change the Icon to something elseā€¦

0 Likes

Ok, do whatever you want dreaming about new icon and creating it, but keep in mind that Sublime Text 2 have an OS X version too and OS X applications have a perfect icons. So, the Sublime Text 2 icon must be also perfect. Look at Coda, Espresso and etc. first.
No offense, but it is true. Itā€™ll be painful to have such a great app with ugly or unsuitable icon and I suppose everybody share my feelings about that.
Try best.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œatomiā€]Are there plans to add file type icons?
Embedding just a few in the main exe might be worth the small effort.

I use the portable version of ST2 and a script that associates all the sublime preferences/settings files with ST2.
And I made this quick icon just to help me distinguish between these files and others.

Iā€™d like to have a couple more as generic as possible just to visually distinguish some of the various code file types I use. But Iā€™m not much of a designer and the icons Iā€™ve tried making donā€™t stand out like they should when they are small.

Edit: Sorry I hope my message doesnā€™t detract from the logo discussion, but I think this itā€™s relevant enough for the designers here to take a look at.
Thanks In advance :smile:[/quote]

This is really nice, thank you!

I can take a shot at making the filetype icons a little more visually appealing if you donā€™t mind sharing the source file :smile:

0 Likes

Here is the PSD I used schmrom.deviantart.com/art/Filet ā€¦ D-88637169
Thanks to the designer, it was very little work to get the sublime document icon done using that source.
I darkened up the edges a little and just dropped in the current Sublime Text logo.
That was about it on my part. But yeah, have fun with it :smile:

Edit: There is also this source available at deviantart jasonh1234.deviantart.com/art/Le ā€¦ -106107697
Not really designed to work as a tiny icon, it would need some extra work to get it there as well.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œricfurnessā€]I fell in love with Sublime Text 2 recently, but the icon did seem to taint my dock a little.

I decided to create my own - nothing overly fancy, but something to ā€˜keep me goingā€™ until it has an official refresh.[/quote]

I really liked the direction here, but since there was no icon file, I created one myself.

Hereā€™s the icon files:
cl.ly/0Q3e3a1r0N151P0A3d1v

How to create the icon file:
tuaw.com/2007/02/26/how-to-make-mac-icons/

How to install the icon file:
gim.ie/amZq

Tools Used:
Photoshop
Illustrator
Icon Composer | en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Deve ā€¦ n_Composer

0 Likes

HI all,
I actually quite like default icon in principle, its simple and easily distinguished.
I use a mac though so simple flat icons tend to stick out like a sore thumb on the dock.

I created the below for my own use but thought I would share it here.

download icons for windows/linux/osx : http://bit.ly/popqhz

0 Likes

Love it. Reminds me of the obelisk in 2001.

0 Likes

Thought I would toss my hat into the ring. Our team has been using this icon for a while and have enjoyed it. Thanks!

0 Likes

This oneā€™s awesome! Iā€™m using it now too. :smile:

0 Likes

Nice work :smile: Iā€™m using this one now too.

0 Likes

ICO?

0 Likes

Looks great, just switched to that :smile:

0 Likes

Based on a logo I saw here, I quickly sketched this one out. I think the Sublime Text logo should be sublime, simple, and peaceful. What do you think, does anyone like it?

0 Likes

Hey Guys!

I am new convert to Sublime Textā€¦ but Iā€™m lovinā€™ it and will definitely be spreading the word!

However, upon first launching the app, I honestly thought the present logo was actually some strange graphic glitch or failure with the icon file somehow. It looks like some kind of tiny .gif which has been maginified to undignified proportions. It is almost ā€œanti-logoā€. Has now beaten the ā€œTerminalā€ icon for the title of ā€œWorst Icon on Krisā€™ Dockā€ (not affiliated in any way with the restaurant chain of the same name).

So I have decided it is my duty to try my hand on this. For the past 10 minutes I have focused copious amounts of my brainpower to problem of your graphical representation. And this is the result. I hope it gives you an erection, as it did me. And I donā€™t mean that in a weird way.

Basicallyā€¦ I just tried to think of what people associate the word ā€œsublimeā€ with. Other than a big letter ā€œsā€, of course. I could only think of one thing.

0 Likes

The problem is that logo reminds me os Adobe Illustrator (way back when) which was something very similar but Boticelliā€™s Venus instead of Da Vinciā€™s Gioconda.

0 Likes

I updated my icon to be a little cleaner, a bit fatter of a border, and use a more updated version of a code sample:

Still a little rough as I donā€™t have too much time to fuss with it, just a little distraction from coding. OS X .icns file if anyone wants the updated version:

Sublime Text 2.zip (230 KB)

Hereā€™s some shots of it in context, to see how it stands out in the dock when smaller, and among other apps when task-switching:

0 Likes