Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

My attempt.

sublimetext2.psd.zip (232 KB)

0 Likes

@kirk1h +1

0 Likes

@Anthony, awesome! Can you please cut that middle one for us and post it? :smile:

0 Likes

Another option.

0 Likes

Hi, my name is david aka switcherdav, Iā€™m a french web programmer and sometimes designer ā€¦

Here is my proposition

Thanks to the creator of Sublime Text !

0 Likes

Please donā€™t do thisā€¦

I love the current logo & default color scheme. So clean, easy on the eyes, and aesthetically pleasing. If thereā€™s nothing wrong with it, donā€™t fix it.

That logo looks horridā€¦ reminds me of Notepad++ logo. (Not trying to put shame to anybodyā€™s design skills, the actual design is cool, just not my cup of tea for something that goes in my Windows 7 hotkey bar - the logo needs to be clean, sleek, and professional which it currently is).

0 Likes

@MMackus, thatā€™s my thought too. Have you checked my own logo here in the thread? (itā€™s only a more polished version of the current logo)

0 Likes

Your right, itā€™s not very important to change the default logo because itā€™s very easy to change it.

note : I think the design of the logo is more important for mac users ; )

0 Likes

Probably because windows/linux users are just focused onā€¦ you knowā€¦ coding? :mrgreen:

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œiamntzā€]

Probably because windows/linux users are just focused onā€¦ you knowā€¦ coding? :mrgreen:[/quote]

Orā€¦ Because the icon is always visible for the a Mac user, unless they hide the dock.

0 Likes

Without trying to start a flame or something, windows 7 is also display only the icon in taskbar. Something like 32x32px (give or take).
So unless you are hiding taskbar (the dock equivalent), you also see the icon always.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œnatebeatyā€]I canā€™t stop fussing with this thing. Hereā€™s another pass, this time larger:

ā€¦odd having to pick the code to show in the icon. Iā€™m assuming CSS isnā€™t the most common use of ST2, and there could probably be a more elegant snippet of something on there. But you get the idea.[/quote]

This is the best one yet. It has my vote. This should be the new default icon.

0 Likes

Aesthetics aside, I find the default icon too similar to the terminal icon on Ubuntu, which is a nuisance when alt-tabbing because I often land on one when really want the other. As for aesthetics, I like the ā€œSā€ icon.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œiamntzā€]

Probably because windows/linux users are just focused onā€¦ you knowā€¦ coding? :mrgreen:[/quote]

Linux user hereā€¦
In my Iā€™m more focused on finding the editor. The icon looks an awful lot like my terminal icon making it annoying when I keep bringing up another terminal when I fully intend to switch back to the editor.

I personally donā€™t care too much what a new icon would look like so long as itā€™s unique and doesnā€™t look so much like other common icons.

0 Likes

Does anyone know how to install Nate Beatyā€™s .icns for Windows? I can change specific icons by converting his image to .ico > clicking properties > change icon, but canā€™t change all the icons throughout ST2.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œsam1amā€]

[quote=ā€œnatebeatyā€]I canā€™t stop fussing with this thing. Hereā€™s another pass, this time larger:

http://i.imgur.com/JjlFk.png[/quote]

ā€¦odd having to pick the code to show in the icon. Iā€™m assuming CSS isnā€™t the most common use of ST2, and there could probably be a more elegant snippet of something on there. But you get the idea.

This is the best one yet. It has my vote. This should be the new default icon.[/quote]

+1 to that!

0 Likes

Maybe you could use an online converter like convertico.com/ ? That big image above is just a png, right click and copy the image URL, then paste it in. Or try the file attached to this post, which I made with that service.

After using the icon for a few months, I think the white border needs to be fatter. Otherwise it holds up alright. Thanks for the positive feedback.
sublime-text-2.ico.zip (62.5 KB)

0 Likes

Taking some inspiration from a variety of the icons already posted, here is a first attempt at another variation (although Iā€™m no icon maker, so I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing). Please feel free to run with it.

Text in the background is part the svg file itself and sublime_plugin.py for the right hand side, using solarized dark theme.

All done with Inkscape.

Sublime-Text-icons-source.zip (233 KB)

0 Likes

Nicely done. I like how you retained more of the original palette.

0 Likes

I like that one too.

Thanks for the effort Nate, but I guess what I was asking earlier was how do I change the icon in ST2 itself? I can change the icons on my desktop all willy-nilly, but when I open a program, it usually opens with itā€™s original one.

After some Googling I realized this is a problem specifically for .exe and such and you need to download something else to change it. Ah well, Iā€™ll just wait until a new one is standard. Hopefully soon as the current one looks pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rikcvDU-6U)

0 Likes