Sublime Forum

What keyboard do you use?

KUL-ES 87. I wholeheartedly recommend it!! I’m an OSX user and there is a dip switch that basically remaps the Windows/CMD and ALT/OPT keys for you. No need for any other software. This keyboard is really well built. I have the Cherry-MX Brown switches.

The keycaps though was a bit too hard for me, so I swapped them, first with the GMK Skeletor and now with SA Dancer set. Still got mad love for the GMK Skeletor set, just wish there was an OS Mod set for them. My other keyboard, the Varmillo VB87MR is rocking those.

Can’t recommend the KUL-ES 87 enough. Will definitely buy another just in case anything goes wrong with this one (which hasn’t… knock on wood).

2 Likes

I had a KUL ES87, but it got kinda unreliable in the end, it wouldn’t wake up along with my Macbook. Not sure why, perhaps just bad luck, although I see some other people are having that problem too. Right now it seems you can’t really get one in Europe anymore, so the Cooler Master MasterKeys PBT seems like a very similar option (but better keycaps and cheaper).

0 Likes

Sorry that you had bad experiences with your KUL man. So far, for me, this thing has been rock solid.
I was really debating between this keyboard and the Cooler Master MasterKeys PBT. I still may get it to try it out. If it’s solid, it may serve as a backup. The Varmillo I have doesn’t work well … at all for the mac so for my Linux machine that’s what I use.

0 Likes

I find that in practice it’s basically the same (although I do like the pbt keycaps, but you’ve got sweet custom ones anyway). I do believe the KUL has some layout options via the dip switches that the MasterKeys doesn’t offer, but I never used that, and everything else can be set using it’s key combo method of doing settings. Dip switches are better, but most of it is set-and-forget anyway.

0 Likes

Of course. Just want to add that I’m in no way saying that there is a right way or that there is a right keyboard. Just right for the person doing the typing.

At the end of the day, it’s just a keyboard. Going to pull the trigger on the Cooler Master here just to get it in there and try it out. But in the end, it doesn’t matter IMO.

0 Likes

I can’t stop checking, i’m soooo weak :sob:

0 Likes

Topre Realforce 87USW (silent version with variable weighting)

1 Like

Until my employers start providing quality mech boards (which is never) I will bring my own from home. Some people don’t have a preference but I do. I spend hours upon hours piloting a keyboard, having one that I enjoy is important to me.

I have used a bunch of boards. A few of the most recent are the CODE with MX clear switches. From there I built an infinity ErgoDox keyboard with Zealios switches. Fantastic keyboard but was too hard to transport back and forth to the office. Next up, built a WhiteFox with Zelios switches as well, absolutely love this keyboard. Great size and feel. I actually have two of these. Had to have one for the office and one for at home. :wink:

As I type this I am waiting for my K-Type keyboard with TRUE switches to be delivered. Very excited about this one, I have had two other input club boards and they are exceptional.

FWIW, I used all of these on the Mac and had zero issues with any of them. I love the feel of a good mech keyboard and I think the ones above represent the best of the best.

1 Like

How are the Clears? Never tried them. I’ve always been keen. I’ve been using the Browns since forever it seems lol. Can’t get enough of them.

0 Likes

Clears are my favorite Cherry switch but they can get a little heavy after a while, which is why I switched to Zealios with my current boards. I am anxious to get the K-Type which has the Halo True switches, these (at least on paper) seem to be the ideal switch (at least for me). :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’m considering buying an Ergodox, anyone has any experience?

Spend so much time typing a proper keyboard is definitely worth it.

1 Like

:sob: <-- tears of joy

It’s so beautiful to type on, it’s like it fell from heaven.

pics coming tomorrow when I have better lighting.

Edit:

I need a better camera

3 Likes

I choose logitech silent mouse and a cheap advent wireless keyboard. They are both reasonably quiet and you can also save money. Admittedly some of the advent keyboards have no ‘insert’ (or numpad) but it has been suggested that ‘shift+enter’ may be used in place of the insert key, which I find satisfactory.

I personally am of the opinion that there is a demand for silent keyboards as well as silent mice and if one became available I would certainly consider making a purchase. Perhaps something which is silent but also lights up in many colors like the mechanical gaming keyboards.

Indeed, most products are not silent enough for my taste and this includes drumpads which are not sensitive enough and must be tapped harder than one would have thought is necessary to trigger during night-time practise sessions in which one hopes one can trigger a drum sample with only the slightest touch, preserving a peaceful living space without tapping noise.

0 Likes

unfortunately i did not use any external keyboard but now i wanna start playing game so i decide to purchase best gaming keyboard for playing game smoothly

0 Likes

I’m typing on my laptop’s keyboard, which isn’t great, but is adequate. It lacks a numeric keypad, which I need for some of the editors I need to use for work, so I have a separate USB-attached one, made by “Magicforce”. I took many typing test at wpmtest.org with my keyboard.

In the office, I have a Unicomp. That’s IBM’s former keyboard factory, now an independent company.

0 Likes

Filco Majestouch TKL / Corsair K63. I’m not a touch / fast typist, but I will spend to avoid irritation from cheap hardware as it interrupts my concentration. I could work on being less easily annoyed by things, but where’s the fun in that?

0 Likes

Currently using a Keychron K2. Not bad.

0 Likes