Sublime Forum

Warning! Codex SFTP not working! No support! Sublime Staff WAKE UP!

Hi,

Despite the Slogan on their Codex website:

Spend less time managing file transfers and more time coding. FTP, FTPS and SFTP support for Sublime Text that is blazing fast, with smart features, flexible workflow options and top-notch support.

There is no support at all and the plugin is lacking functionality to connect with SFTP to name one important issue (with the free FileZilla I connect in a second!).

I paid for all the licenses, but that doesn’t seem to help much!

I hope that Sublime Text staff is aware of the fact that users are going to walk away if nothing get organised in the Sublime Text Packages Eco System. I mean quality control and minimum requirements for paid packages!

David

0 Likes

All 3rd-party plugins are not related to stuff. The most sane way for asking help is asking the plugin author since you paid for it. You may post for help here for sure but remember that no one here is obligated to help you.

0 Likes

@jfcherng Hi,

I wonder if you have read my post! This is posted under “General Discussion”.

I don’t ask for help, but this is a warning for users and a suggestion for Sublime Text Staff to set minimum requirements for plugin developers to maintain quality and functionality of the packages they create.

It’s horrific to see how Codex is giving no support and delivering buggy software.

Are there any other SFTP client alternatives to choose from as a Sublime Text Package? No! There are no alternatives!

So Sublime Text has no reliable SFTP client available at the moment because of third and second party developers? But is charging my company yearly?

A plugin/packages eco system must be also part of responsibility of Sublime Text company. At the moment the eco system for packages is in a terrible state. Most plugins are Sublime 2 & 3 and developers are jumping of Sublime Text ship!

Ever tried to get a IOS application in the App Store? And noticed all the requirements? The same should be done by Sublime Text company.

David

0 Likes

I don’t believe they have such human resource to do this. The current review is afaik done by a community person. So what’s your suggestion for this plugin? Just take it down?

I don’t see the logical relationship between “there is no SFTP client” and “charge your company yearly”.

• ST is free for evaluation. So just try before buy.
  • ST staff maintains ST. Not the plugin you installed.

If you are not asking for help you setup the SFTP plugin here. I am afraid that no one can help.

0 Likes

A plugin/packages eco system must be also part of responsibility of Sublime Text company. So not take it down, but sanction them if they don’t keep up with their promises, because it is also damaging the reputation of Sublime Text.

I think a company is also responsible for maintaining a plugin eco system based on: Choice, reliability, quality and trust. Despite the fact that they say they are not! So when I *pay for a product like Sublime Text.
No integrated SFTP plugin? I think all webdesigners walk away from Sublime and expect when they pay for Sublime at least the choice to use a SFTP plugin.

(*that I did from day one)

After using it for more then 10 years?

That’s exactly the problem!

Like I said before I don’t need help! this is a warning for the users and a message for Sublime Staff!

0 Likes

I can only say that I do consider that ST is too community-driven these days. Though I know there are only few people work for SublimeHQ.

1 Like

At least we agree on 1 thing! That’s exactly what I mean!

0 Likes

So not take it down, but sanction them if they don’t keep up with their promises

How do you suggest to do that?

0 Likes

It is true that my support responsiveness has gone downhill over time. I wrote that verbiage when SFTP was my sole source of incoming while working independently.

I should be having a new version of SFTP out sometime in the next month or so, providing compatibility with the newest version of OpenSSH.

But yea, if you have a critical need for SFTP behavior, I highly recommend running the trial version before buying.

2 Likes

@wbond Hi Will,

I’m surprised at your indifferent and impersonal attitude.

I have been a paying user of SFTP since day one over 10 years ago and also have the last license from a year ago. So watching the demo first doesn’t make any sense!

You only talk about yourself, but you don’t care about what your users experience with your plugin every day. This problem has been going on for much longer. And has cost me excessive time! All this clearly illustrates the corporate culture of Sublime Text and relatives and I predict that in 5 years Sublime Text will no longer exist!

My company is going to stop the subscription for Sublime Text and sadly switch over to VS code that we have installed anyway for in case there was or is a problem with Sublime Text…

I have learned one thing and that is that Sublime Text company and relatives have no clue how to run a business based on: respect, trust, reliability and continuity!

It’s the first time you appear on this forum after one year and did not have the time to post a message (that takes 5 minutes!!) for all the users that contacted your support multiple times for nothing and paid for a license!??

David

0 Likes

Based on your expectations with the ST ecosystem, this is probably not a tool you should be relying on. It’s support infrastructure is based on volunteers. I think you should investigate other tools. Other products with larger support staffs have [forum admins don’t want me specifying a specific product and see that as spam] a very robust and responsive support staff and would probably fit your expectations for quality of plugins and support.

You mentioned you’ve been using ST for over 10 years yet you haven’t contributed to the community only complained. Perhaps other tools are a better fit for you. Good luck.

0 Likes

@mvilain Hi Michel,

Don’t understand what you are talking about, but Sublime Text and the SFTP plugin are two commercial products that you pay for and have nothing to do with any community.

So or come with some intelligent useful tips or stay away from this forum pissing people off!

When developers ask users to pay for a licence those users can expect support and maintenance of the products they pay for.

You good luck!

David

0 Likes

You expect ST to support the SFTP plugin they didn’t write. You expect ST to support their product with non-volunteer help which they currently don’t have the manpower to do. I suspect other products are a better fit for your expectations rather than the 10 years you’ve been using ST and been unhappy with it. Maybe it’s time to look elsewhere for a product supported the way you expect. But first, open your wallet.

0 Likes

You don’t have to tell me what I have to do! Who do you think you are? “The Forum Police”?

When you really read my post you can see that I talked about the Packages Eco System and the quality of the Packages concerning Sublime Text. That by the way I always paid for and donated.

I paid for everything (Sublime Text company license yearly payment + license SFTP) so I don’t understand that I have to open my wallet!?

Please piss somebody else off!

0 Likes

Hi Will. Thanks for replying! It’s nice to know your still around :slight_smile:

(Eagerly awaiting a new version.)

0 Likes

As primarily a web app developer who actually just recently switched away from VS Code to Sublime, I don’t think that’s fair. :slight_smile:

In all sincerity, I’ve only been browsing this forum for a week or so and am disheartened by some of the rage-y posts like this about seemingly small bugaboos.

I know it’s frustrating that the external plugins may not be what you expect; but I’d argue that you shouldn’t blame Sublime for that. If anything, I’m grateful that Sublime, unlike VS Code, doesn’t rely on plugins in order to make it remotely functional (if you haven’t tried looking under the hood at all of the builtin extensions that allow VS Code to do literally anything, try turning them off and see if it’s still as useful as Sublime out of the box.)

And speaking of VS Code plugins, it can be awfully hard to find reliable ones amid the plethora of poorly maintained, duplicate, or just plain sketchy plugins that make up the vast majority of their ecosystem. Honestly, if you’re looking for anything that isn’t maintained by Microsoft or GitHub directly, I don’t think it’s any better or worse than the selections I’ve seen in Package Control. :man_shrugging:

Anywho, I’m not trying to dump all over you or VS Code. I mostly just want to say that it’s ok if a tool isn’t meeting your needs – that’s why there are IDEs in the world. But please don’t assume that all of us other web devs aren’t happy with Sublime.

I don’t know about y’all, but the reason I bought a license is because the editor is great to use for writing code (I’m pretty smitten with Sublime Merge too, but that’s off topic.). Plugins are just a bonus in my book.

(Oh and while I’m here, seriously, just a huge thanks to the Sublime devs – I don’t know how you all stay motivated reading some of these posts, so I wanted to send some kudos your way.)

4 Likes

@t-bowersox Hi,

So you find it normal that I purchase a license for the Sublime Text SFTP package (created by Will Bond one of the main developers who created/contributed to Sublime 3 & 4!) you understand the connection between Sublime text and Codex the company of Will Bond now!? with his motto:

Spend less time managing file transfers and more time coding. FTP, FTPS and SFTP support for Sublime Text that is blazing fast, with smart features, flexible workflow options and top-notch support

And for months no replies to any support requests, no email warning no post on this forum nothing. And a important part to connect with SFTP has to be updated by him so it is not working for now.

We are not talking about Open Source here, but a commercial product that we all paid for the license from day one!

A text/code editor is only as good as it’s plugin/packages eco system and packages are no extra bonus as you were saying, but a essential part of everybody’s workflow!

David

1 Like

So you find it normal that I purchase a license for the Sublime Text SFTP package (created by Will Bond one of the main developers who created/contributed to Sublime 3 & 4!) you understand the connection between Sublime text and Codex the company of Will Bond now!?

While Will Bond did used to work for Sublime HQ there is no business relation between us and Codex. To my knowledge Codex also predates Will’s employment.

0 Likes

@bschaaf
Hi Benjamin,

That’s not the point!

Sublime Staff should keep an eye on their packages-ecosystem and when packages are put on the market commercially with a license and set minimum requirements for the developers.
I think at least there is the connection that they know each other very well and know of the status of each other companies.

David

Read these topics this problem is here for more then a year!

0 Likes

Right, that is a thing we already do. I read that forum post when it was first posted.

It’s a closed source plugin made by a 3rd party in their spare time. It comes back to my question earlier:

0 Likes