Sublime Forum

Vscode is the elephant in the room

I’ve been a faithful user of ST for years. But I’ve recently switched to Visual Studio Code. I don’t see any compelling argument for a new user making a choice for ST over vscode.

Something has to change. This can’t survive for more than another couple of years as a 2-man non-open project.

5 Likes

Sublime Text versus Visual Studio Code in 2019

So, why bother if You found VS Code?
So tired of all this …

1 Like

I think the performance and simplicity of ST is a big win over VS Code. I think that ST is very compelling compared to VS code or Atom.

0 Likes

Now get ready to get lambasted :slight_smile: for suggesting something which is out of the norm in ST world.

0 Likes

Perhaps the intention of raising this was to let Mr Bond and Mr Skinner know that ST is falling behind. These kind of requests are not meant to bring pain to the community, but rather should be taken as a wake-up call.

No business should ever take its users for granted. Look at IE6 for example.

3 Likes

@Timmothy, you didn’t mention any reason why you switched away from Sublime Text, or why you switched to VS Code.

VS Code certainly has a few nice features that are better than Sublime, especially for new developers. The Git integration is really useful, and the ability to search for and install plugins without any changes out of the box is really nice. In my opinion, it’s the best free editor I’ve found.

Sublime Text, however, is really built for speed, has a huge number of plugins that work very well (assuming you’re aware of packagecontrol.io, anyway), and has zero trouble managing projects, large amounts of folders and files, tying in with build processes, etc.

The last time I tried VS Code, there was this incredibly annoying flash when opening files where the syntax coloring was still being applied, and you couldn’t choose more than one folder to open as a project. I might be wrong, but I don’t see how VS Code will ever possibly come close to the performance that Sublime has, though it may end up with more features built-in.

1 Like

vscode, its a browser, I don’t like the idea to program in webkit shell. For many reasons like the speed, and the productivity.

2 Likes

I keep an eye on other editors and download and try them out once a year or so.

I just updated my VSCode install and while I liked some things - my seat of the pants impression was that it was very slow.

Without some sort of meaningful stats - it’s difficult to know who is using what. GitLab has their developer survey open with an IDE/Editor section on it - will be interesting to see those results. I voted for Sublime :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s like telling Apple that Android is the elephant in the room.

Not really new or interesting information.

1 Like

ST is an amazing text editor but i think that some features must be added/improved:

• git sidebar folder/files coloring(like on ATOM)
  • integrated terminal(like on VSCode and IntelliJ IDE)
  • improve autocomplete(there is already a plugin named SublimeCodeIntel)
1 Like

I think every editor has its strengths and all those that you listed are the best parts of those other editors. I would be super excited if all that happened but I would still never want to trade the speed and fuzzy search that you get in sublime text. I have jumped around a ton of editors and just did vscode last week. Until I can quickly fuzzy search into node_modules in one of those editors and easily pick a file I am not going anywhere

0 Likes

Not sure what you mean by fuzzy search…

Goto Anything… and Goto Symbol… features of ST are both available in vscode.
On my (middle-end) PC, vscode is maybe a little slower to show the results but only by a negligible margin (and I use it on a really large project).

0 Likes

In sublime you can really mess up the search path for a file and it will still find it (fuzzy search)

node_modules/mutada/lib/workflow -> no/mu/wo
I have yet to see a text editor that can do that lookup as fast as sublime text can.
vscode can handle the first chunk being fuzzy but subsequent chunks throw it off

0 Likes

And I will also say I am not a vscode hater I used it for a while. I just learned that the biggest gains for me where how quickly I could jump around the filesystem and a file. The more I use lazy fuzzy search features the faster I got and the more important it was to me

1 Like

In my work I use ST3 (registered) for web development and VSCode for react-native/JS stuff.
I still prefer the speed and simplicity of ST but I think it need some of the features of the new editors.

• We need a better system to build interfaces to better integrate stuff like a debugger.
    VSCode debugger is beautiful and a real boost for productivity.
  • The integration of modern JS tools is lacking, probably because the integration in the ST’s interface is lacking
  • The plugin ecosystem is slowing down. Same reason?

I hope the author will speed up the development of these needed features because i really prefer write code in a real text editor.

Frank

1 Like

@fr4nk if you want, you could try my new plugin JavaScript Enhancements! Maybe it could fit well for your react-native/JS stuff! In this way you can use the same editor everywhere! :thumbsup:
It is a plugin that turns Sublime Text 3 into a JavaScript IDE like! :smile:

1 Like

@pichillilorenzo

Thank you Lorenzo, I will try it.
But I think the problems are structural. We need more tools to develop a great experience around this wonderful editor

1 Like

If you care about security, using an electron based application is no option.

See

and many, many more.

0 Likes

ok so the first article is more than 2 years old and there have been many patches and even a new Electron 4 release. Even in the article they say that those vulnerabilities were already being addresses back then in 2016.

The second article you provided is more recent, but also very represents a very fixable (and easy) issue as Microsoft already was saying.

As for your third one, it is again a matter of how that app is written and again presents a very fixable bug/security issue.

I’m not denying the fact that Electron has it’s disadvantages, but you also cannot deny the fact that is saves a shit ton of development time and money to make apps with it. The community around web technologies is so big that theses kind of issues quickly emerge and people become aware of them so they can fix them. And on the same point, the very large community also means tons of libraries and modules as well as constant updates.

As a conclusion, I think the advantages with web technologies outweigh the disadvantages for most* of the apps out there. (*I’m not talking about national security things here).

0 Likes

For integrated terminals, there are two ST plugins, TerminalView and Terminus. Terminus is what’s hot.

0 Likes