Sublime Forum

Sublime Text wins the Net Awards 2014 — App of the year

Congrats for your awesome success Jon. :smiley:

0 Likes

Congratulations - well deserved! Don’t listen to the trolls!

0 Likes

[quote=“Vaffe”]

Ok, here we go…

1. Sublime Text, which had not been updated for a few months stood the test of time, because of how solid it is. It was voted (by the public) to be one of the App of the Year shortlisters.
  2. Jon and co. didn’t do anything for this, I represented them on their behalf. There was little contact between us, other than just “yeah, you can represent us.”

So, what’s the problem again?

But the above two points above is the problem. Are you dense?

1. It’s not updated, and you falsely claims it’s so solid. There’s a huge amount of bugs (sift through the thousands of unanswered forum posts). All the wonderful anectodes about how nice ST is doesn’t matter, since there’s a lot of people struggling who doesn’t get answers on the forum and doesn’t get support mail replies (I can attest to that fact - I paid up, yet I get zero feedback from support@sublimetext.com). Don’t come dragging with the eula - a company has a moral obligation to help out paying customers. Otherwise it’s just a crappy company.

2. The fact that HQ doesn’t even care to show up on an award ceremony shows they don’t care anymore.

This is a dead product. One with an award.[/quote]

Here is my 2 cents:
Shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.

1. It is being updated, there was an update not too long ago.
  2. Everybody needs a break, it happens the guy needed one.
    ST3 is not a dead product, if you don’t know what you are talking about, shut up.
    If anything, the award is justified, sublime text is still one of the best editors out there, and much much better than atom, which had years and year and years of development.
0 Likes

Ha! I love this guy. ST3 FANBOI! DEAD PRODUCT OMG!

Classic.

0 Likes

@Vanishing: dude, check your language & tone. You are just feeding the trolls with this kind of attitude…

0 Likes

Just got too fed up with people spewing out false information.
Since he started name calling, I thought he deserves one too.

0 Likes

Jps is in Australia, the awards were in London - that’s hell of a long way to travel for a few hours.

0 Likes

[quote=“Vaffe”]
But the above two points above is the problem. Are you dense?

1. It’s not updated, and you falsely claims it’s so solid. There’s a huge amount of bugs (sift through the thousands of unanswered forum posts). All the wonderful anectodes about how nice ST is doesn’t matter, since there’s a lot of people struggling who doesn’t get answers on the forum and doesn’t get support mail replies (I can attest to that fact - I paid up, yet I get zero feedback from support@sublimetext.com). Don’t come dragging with the eula - a company has a moral obligation to help out paying customers. Otherwise it’s just a crappy company.

2. The fact that HQ doesn’t even care to show up on an award ceremony shows they don’t care anymore.

This is a dead product. One with an award.[/quote]

So what are you trying to say here, that ST3 is a bad product and we should try something else?
Even if it was a dead product, I don’t care, I like it, it runs stable on my system,
It’s so tweakable with so many plugins that there’s allways a solution.
I don’t see the problems you have and i sure don’t think there is a “moral obligation to help out paying customers”.
Basically you have 2 options: 1) use it as it is and be happy or 2) move to something else and claim a refund.
If you don’t do either you’re just a troll.

0 Likes

Well, I think you are wrong here, i give one example: sublime text is announced as “a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.”

I use sublime only for writing prose and bought license for Sublime2. Soon i noticed that there is a line break bug in ST2 … (discussed in the forum). Well - for prose writing this is a very annoying bug, this is clearly a no go and should be fixed as one may of course expect the basic functions of a text editor to work properly. But it never happened so i have been forced to use ST1.4 for a long time instead of ST2 … now, in sublime 3 this bug is gone, but i have to buy a new license someday for ST3 … so, is this fair? I dont think so, i could well use sublime2 for writing prose if there wasnt that bug.

Sorry … i believe there IS clearly a moral obligation to help out paying customers, especially if some things have been promised before.

Well, i make no big thing out of it, i will pay license for st3 because i love sublime in general and i want to support it, its my favourite software.

But again: some things should be fixed.

0 Likes

Because ST3 is not released yet, the license you can buy nowadays is basically for ST2 but it will work with ST3.
This has been so for quite some time now, so chances are your license will work with ST3 as well.

0 Likes

which line break bug?

0 Likes

0 Likes

@tito: i think it’s related to word wrapping; there are some situations where things aren’t necessary in a really good shape. Take a look a the semicolon or the double dashes:

(and this is just a quick find, i’m sure that dudes that use to do heavy writing can come up with better examples)

0 Likes

Thanks for the pointers, …This looks fixed in ST3 (I just basic-tested)… and well, I agree if a function was working in ST1, it should be working in ST2… but well… joining Jon side… is hard engineering an editor.!.. that’s why I request more APIs and less features(!) :smiley:

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]

Because ST3 is not released yet, the license you can buy nowadays is basically for ST2 but it will work with ST3.
This has been so for quite some time now, so chances are your license will work with ST3 as well.[/quote]

Hi henkbb,
no, I’m afraid my license will not work for 3.0, as I bought mine some years ago, it was when 2.0 was released. But … its no big problem for me, I’ve been writing with 1.4 and now ST3 beta (but my key wont work when ST3 passes beta stadium as i understood it). I think i have to buy a new license for 3.0 someday … well okay, i’ll get over it. Just wanted to point out that there are things (basic functions of an editor) that should have been fixed in my opinion. As a prose writer I could very well get along with ST2 … there would be no need for update if there wasnt that bug.

But: no problem - my love for sublime will last 4ever ! :smiley:

Gratulation to jon for the award. I also think sublime is the best (except sublime 2 :mrgreen: because of line break fail)

0 Likes

Although most of these have been fixed in ST3, there are still some oddities:

This is just a 
test].

Alex

0 Likes