Sublime Forum

Sublime Text for Raspberry Pi 3 with Rasbian OS

Hello,

Hello, you know how I can install SublimeTest on Raspberry pi 3? And Sublime Text is compatible with the Raspberry pi 3 ?

Thanks,

0 Likes

It runs on linux, i would be shocked if you can’t get it working on a pi with possibly a little extra effort (like finding some unmet dependencies)

0 Likes

Raspberry Pi’s (even the 3) run on ARM processors and per this thread (and this response from jps in that thread) , ARM support is not likely.

That said, that was three years ago so maybe opinions changed in the interim.

0 Likes

I hadn’t considered… I stand corrected.
Well now we know, eh Romain?
(“And knowing is half the battle!” “Yo Joe!”)

0 Likes

All right, thank you for your answers, but how concretely I can install Sublime Text on Raspberry? By what way(means)? What process? What file?
I thank you for it.

0 Likes

I really need use ST on Raspberry…
Can you helppppp me ?!

0 Likes

It’s not coming. There is no way to do it yourself.

1 Like

I was looking for a javascript-apt code editor for quick editing of a raspberry powered nodejs thing
Found this guy to have a working instance https://taoofmac.com/space/blog/2015/02/27/2210

Long config though, so I’m still looking

0 Likes

On the Raspberry Pi (Raspbian OS) I have been using the lightweight editor/IDE called “Geany”. It is by no means Sublime Text but fine just the same. You can install it from the standard package sources. Do check it out.

0 Likes

I use geany on the pi 3 as well. It’s no Sublime, but it gets the job done.

0 Likes

You could give VisualStudio code a go. https://code.headmelted.com/

0 Likes

There are couple of other alternaives:

1. Consider Scite - a bit of a fiddle to get fonts and look as you’d like, Syntax highlighting and project management is basic but it’s fast and has a small footprint

2. Export a shared drive using Samba and edit using ST3 from a box with a supported OS. This is the route I adopted eventually and it works very nicely. Edit in Sublime, flip to VNC and refresh.

0 Likes

Why not Vim?

0 Likes

Does Vim support all the syntax highlighting that SublimeText has, and more importantly can it be used by “normal” people?

0 Likes

Sublime Text should work very well on ARM using ExaGear Desktop.

0 Likes

Probably even more.
“normal people”?, no idea… I’m not normal :space_invader

0 Likes

I have a sublime text licence, and would be willing to buy another one for what I expect to become my fleet of makerbots.
When I’ve highlignted sublime text 3 to the new hires at my big data consulting firm, the ability to use ST3 cross platform is a big plus. Did not know there was a raspberry sized hole in my recommendation.

0 Likes