Sublime Forum

Sublime Text for Raspberry Pi 3 with Rasbian OS

Hello,

Hello, you know how I can install SublimeTest on Raspberry pi 3? And Sublime Text is compatible with the Raspberry pi 3 ?

Thanks,

0 Likes

Debian (Raspbian) Unable to Locate Package

It runs on linux, i would be shocked if you can’t get it working on a pi with possibly a little extra effort (like finding some unmet dependencies)

0 Likes

Raspberry Pi’s (even the 3) run on ARM processors and per this thread (and this response from jps in that thread) , ARM support is not likely.

That said, that was three years ago so maybe opinions changed in the interim.

0 Likes

I hadn’t considered… I stand corrected.
Well now we know, eh Romain?
(“And knowing is half the battle!” “Yo Joe!”)

0 Likes

All right, thank you for your answers, but how concretely I can install Sublime Text on Raspberry? By what way(means)? What process? What file?
I thank you for it.

0 Likes

I really need use ST on Raspberry…
Can you helppppp me ?!

0 Likes

It’s not coming. There is no way to do it yourself.

1 Like

I was looking for a javascript-apt code editor for quick editing of a raspberry powered nodejs thing
Found this guy to have a working instance https://taoofmac.com/space/blog/2015/02/27/2210

Long config though, so I’m still looking

0 Likes

On the Raspberry Pi (Raspbian OS) I have been using the lightweight editor/IDE called “Geany”. It is by no means Sublime Text but fine just the same. You can install it from the standard package sources. Do check it out.

0 Likes

I use geany on the pi 3 as well. It’s no Sublime, but it gets the job done.

0 Likes

You could give VisualStudio code a go. https://code.headmelted.com/

0 Likes

There are couple of other alternaives:

1. Consider Scite - a bit of a fiddle to get fonts and look as you’d like, Syntax highlighting and project management is basic but it’s fast and has a small footprint

2. Export a shared drive using Samba and edit using ST3 from a box with a supported OS. This is the route I adopted eventually and it works very nicely. Edit in Sublime, flip to VNC and refresh.

0 Likes

Why not Vim?

0 Likes

Does Vim support all the syntax highlighting that SublimeText has, and more importantly can it be used by “normal” people?

0 Likes

Sublime Text should work very well on ARM using ExaGear Desktop.

0 Likes

Probably even more.
“normal people”?, no idea… I’m not normal :space_invader

0 Likes

I have a sublime text licence, and would be willing to buy another one for what I expect to become my fleet of makerbots.
When I’ve highlignted sublime text 3 to the new hires at my big data consulting firm, the ability to use ST3 cross platform is a big plus. Did not know there was a raspberry sized hole in my recommendation.

0 Likes

hey guys, I know this messages is now 3 years late, but I’ve found a great “emulator” for Sublim Text.
so, first, you go on a terminal panel and copy/paste this command :slight_smile:
git clone https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps ~/pi-apps/install. Wait until download. After, go in the application (Menu > Tools > Pi Apps) and go in “Editors”.
Sublim Text is the last one. Click, download it and enjoy !

ps:sorry if I did some faults. I’m French, and I’ve got only 12 years old :confused:

0 Likes

For the record, there are currently test versions of ARM64 builds of Sublime for Linux available in the Discord for licensed users of Sublime (see the pinned post in the forum for the link to the Discord).

0 Likes

Just to update the update, Sublime Text 4 has been released, and both the regular version (with a free evaluation before purchase) and dev versions fully support aarch64 (ARM Architecture 64-bit), aka ARM64 aka 64-bit ARM v8, the architecture of the processors used on the Raspberry Pi. The Linux repositories page gives instructions on how to add repos supporting arm64 to the apt (Debian family, including Rasbian, Ubuntu, and derivatives) and pacman (Arch Linux) package managers. Note there are no RPM packages for ARM currently.

Linux ARM64 .deb and .tar.xz files are available for direct download as well. Note that when downloading and installing the .tar.xz archive (/opt/sublime_text is the standard location), you’ll need to manually create a subl symlink to the InstallationDir/sublime_text binary somewhere in your $PATH - typically /usr/local/bin if you have sudo privileges, which you should on a Raspberry Pi.

0 Likes