Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 4 Does not start

That’s just a hint for the devs, I guess. But actually it indicates some OS level API functions possibly being blocked by insufficient credentials or other security functions (e.g. antivirus), which is probably not expected by some of ST’s core functionality and thus breaks it.

0 Likes

EXCEPTION_DEBUG_INFO:
dwFirstChance: 1
ExceptionCode: C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
ExceptionAddress: ntdll.00007FFC83003ACA
NumberParameters: 2
ExceptionInformation[00]: 0000000000000001
(x64dbg://localhost/address64#0000000000000001) Write
ExceptionInformation[01]: 0000000000000024
(x64dbg://localhost/address64#0000000000000024) Inaccessible Address
First chance exception on 00007FFC83003ACA
(x64dbg://localhost/address64#00007FFC83003ACA) (C0000005, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)!

Some info with x64dbg, which is an interesting issue to say the least

Between versions 4152 to 4153 something changes that cause this to happen on my side.

0 Likes

Which I am now wondering if it is dealing with Macro Recording, since that can invite loads of HIP-related issues.

0 Likes

Downgrading to 4152 also fixed for me (4166 still crashes)

0 Likes

+1 on this. Funny thing tho, got new work laptop, ran 4169 no issues for a month, then it would start with plugin host 3.3 and 3.8 errors with all plugins not working, and then it wouldnt start at all. Downgrade to 4152 + redownloading package control and lsp solved the issue. Unfortunately not sure which one of these specifically, but reinstalling 4169 would not make it start, 4152 would.

0 Likes

I am getting this error when I start sublime on Windows 10

Nome dell’applicazione che ha generato l’errore: sublime_text.exe, versione: 4.1.6.9, timestamp: 0x655fb2ce
Nome del modulo che ha generato l’errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 10.0.19041.3636, timestamp: 0x9b64aa6f
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005
Offset errore 0x00000000000634f6
ID processo che ha generato l’errore: 0x7134
Ora di avvio dell’applicazione che ha generato l’errore: 0x01da5f5c9b1297ff
Percorso dell’applicazione che ha generato l’errore: C:\Program Files\Sublime Text\sublime_text.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l’errore: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID segnalazione: db82e655-1be7-463a-bf77-0bae31539049
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l’errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l’errore:

0 Likes

Using the Sublime Text 4.1.6.9 portable version on Windows 10, I noticed the compatibility troubleshooter must be executed on the sublime_text.exe file. The troubleshooter reconfigures the executable to use Windows 8 compatibility mode, even though it may already be set.

Anyone else have this issue?

0 Likes

You might try opening a cmd window, change directory to the directory where Sublime Text’s version of VCRUNTIME140.dll resides and re-register the dll with the following commands.
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll
regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dll

0 Likes

You might try opening a cmd window, change directory to the directory where Sublime Text’s version of VCRUNTIME140.dll resides and re-register the dll with the following commands.
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll
regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dll

This did not work. Running the command in the install directory gave me this error message:

@EvanG 's suggestion of troubleshooting compatibility did not work either.

0 Likes

I would have been surprised if that would have worked because vcruntime is NOT a COM library and therefore does not expose anything for regsvr32 to use.

Whatever you do, Windows uses this application-local file only as a very last fallback in case no other file is present in a more trustworthy location.

According to various feedback discussions this issue is most likely caused by Anti-Virus programs. It’s not ST’s fault. It just suffers from API calls being blocked or something along those lines.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. The more I think about this given everything in this tread,I believe it is possible the answer is in the source code of Sublime Text. As users we have no control and the solution is not in our hands.
My unproven theory:
Within Visual Studio the source code has many references to dlls that are resolved by building a distribution setup application. Some of the dlls are part of the windows system and some are “homemade” for a lack of a better term. Each of the dlls have 1 or more dependencies on other dlls. It might be possible that one of these “homemade” dlls is calling a function in a system dll such as VCRUNTIME140.dll that no longer exists or the prototype for that function has changed. Sublime Text has been around since 2008, I believe so there could be an outdated version of one of these "homemede’ dlls that worked its way back into the build?
I have in the past (XP era) very painstakingly tracked down such a problem using a DLL Viewer that showed the function name and parameters inside the dll, it was called Dependency Walker. Such a view does not exist in current times that I know of. I eventually found that a certain function call to a windows dll had changed the number of parameters that function was expecting. Supplying the function with the missing parameter solved the problem.

Quote:
The latest Microsoft redistributable version 14.38.33135.0. Microsoft has this to say:

• Visual Studio versions since Visual Studio 2015 share the same Redistributable files. For example, any apps built by the Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, or 2022 toolsets can use the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. However, the version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on the machine must be the same or higher than the version of the Visual C++ toolset used to create your application. For more information about which version of the Redistributable to install, see Determining which DLLs to redistribute. For more information about binary compatibility, see C++ binary compatibility between Visual Studio versions.
    End Quote

Any function calls in C++ must have matching prototypes to system dlls between VS2015 and VS2022. Sublime text has been around since 2008 so it might be possible 1 or more function prototypes have changed since the original 2008 redistributable.

I may be off base here, but in any case I believe as a user, there is no solution.

0 Likes

If it was an issue with vcruntime140’s backwards compatibility then ST would not be able to run on any modern Windows install, but it works just fine on a clean install of both Windows 10 and Windows 11. I’ve had some reports of ST working after disabling anti-virus and zero about it not working after doing so. This is in all likely-hood anti-virus related.

FWIW we don’t use Visual Studio except for building python and the vcruntime140.dll we ship is from 2015 (VS 14).

0 Likes

I’m experiencing the same thing as other users:

• 4169 does not start
  • Tried both portable as well as install versions
  • Corporate AV software that I can’t disable.
  • Reverted back to 4152, works fine

I have limited admin privileges and was still not able to start 4169.

I found a workaround, I launched ST 4169 (portable version) from MobaXterm (Cygwin) and it seems to run fine. Have not tried adding any packages currently residing in my AppData folder (for the 4152 install version.) I will try the Cygwin approach with the install version next.
Note: I normally run MobaXterm as an admin for various reasons, but I tried launching ST 4169 from Cygwin in non-admin mode and it still worked.

As always, your mileage may vary with this workaround.

0 Likes

Another corporate user here. Same problem: v4169 does not launch 70% of the time. Reverted to 4152 and it seems to work fine.

The answer I’m replying to might have some key info. When v4169 did launch, I was also getting pop ups about errors with the plugin host.

I do not have any plugins installed though. I just use Sublime Text as a text editor with syntax highlighting… pretty frustrating that a mandatory corporate antivirus means I can’t do something as simple as that! No shade on the devs of course, thanks for all your work :slight_smile:

0 Likes