Sublime Forum

Stutter, delay with “alt-tab”, windows switching

I submitted a tech support item last year but have never resolved the issue. I thought I’d try one last time before giving up on Sublime.

The issue is in MacOS 10.14: switching between Sublime and any other app using “alttab” (MacOS app) is inconsistent: sometime it works, sometimes I have to repeat the command. This behavior never happens with VSCode or any other text editor I’ve tried.

I tried launching Sublime in “safe mode” and that didn’t resolve the issue – have attempted this multiple times to test and its never worked properly. It may be more responsive in safe mode: seems faster, but hasn’t resolved the issue.

The only time this works correctly is when switching between separate text windows within Sublime itself – the delay never occurs then.

Running build 4152 on macOS 10.14, 2021 M1Max hardware

0 Likes

I’ve been using alttab since trying to reproduce that issue and in the last year have been unable to do so.

0 Likes

Hello,

I’ve been looking for this issue and found your post. I have exactly the same behavior as the one you describe.

Fresh install (MacBook is new and Sublime Text has just been installed) with no package added.

My “reproduction steps”:

1. Open a full folder containing my project,
  2. Modify some files, save, modify, etc.
  3. Press CMD+TAB to switch either to Firefox or Terminal to run a command

Notice that “most of the time” their is a slight delay before the small UI with all opened apps.

Few others points:

• Sublime Text project is opened in full screen (not windowed)
  • The slight lag tends to appear when switching app after a few seconds/minutes of editing within Sublime Text (spamming CMD+TAB to try and reproduce doesn’t work)
  • No other lag / delay / slowdown noticeable system wide (either in Sublime Text or any other app)
  • The Mac is a brand new one (3 days old)
  • I’ve been looking in the settings if there was anything related to auto-save (because it feels like Sublime Text is trying to “do something” just before losing the focus).

Build 4152, macOS Ventura 13.5 (22G2074), M3 chip.

Happy to provide more information if it can help.

Thanks !

0 Likes

I’m also running into this issue (a Google search brought me to this post). I’m running Build 4169 on Sonoma 14.3.1 on an M1 Pro.

Similar to ludovic’s observations, this issue only happens in full screen mode immediately after typing.

I tried logging commands to see if there’s something that runs in the background that causes the lag.

0 Likes