Sublime Forum

ST4 run from command line: -b doesn't seem to work any more

I depend on this option:

-b or --background: Don't activate the application

to debug Python programs with pdb or ipdb.

While I step throw the sources with pdb, Sublime text “follows” thanks to this plugin:

Under the hood, this is the issued command:

'subl -b "%s:%d"' % (filename, lineno)

However, ST4 grabs the focus despite the “-b” option.

Very annoying … I had to downgrade to ST3.
Any suggestion in welcome.

Thank you for a great editor

1 Like

ST4 issues I found, but have no time to write proper bug reports (yet)

I can’t replicate that here; -b works as it always has. What OS are you running on?

1 Like

I’m using macOS Big Sur

While I step with pdb in the terminal, the cursor moves in ST, and I can follow the source code in the editor.
Since the focus remains on the terminal, I can keep stepping and/or inspecting variables; this is how it works with ST3, and is very effective.
With ST4, after cursor update the focus is stolen by ST

0 Likes

I’m not sure if it will help, but something to double check would be that subl is symlinked to the version that ships with Sublime Text 4. I don’t remember offhand if the folder’s app name changed between the two versions or not.

0 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it asap and post a feedback here

0 Likes

I checked it: subl is a symlink to “/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/subl” for both ST3 and ST4.
I replaced ST3 with ST4 to avoid any possible conflict.
So, this doesn’t seem to be the problem :sleepy:

0 Likes

I tested it above on Linux and it worked as I would expect there, so it’s possible it might be a MacOS related issue of some sort.

Help > Report a Bug will take you to the issue tracker where you can make a report of this regression on MacOS so that the devs can look into it.

0 Likes

I’m also dealing with this behavior after upgrading to ST4 - I, however, am still on Catalina. Let me know if you need any additional information from me.

0 Likes

I confirm this happens for me on Catalina too. I guess it’s not related to the O.S. in any way

0 Likes

Has anybody found a solution here? This one has really put a pinch in my workflow.

0 Likes

I have exactly the same issue. I’m in MacOS and the ‘-b-’ doesn’t work. Any news?

0 Likes

Fixed in build 4122. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Great news! Gonna try now.

0 Likes