Sublime Forum

[ST4] Crash on system dialog

I’m using build on a new HPC and it crashes whenever I do anything that would bring up the system file dialog (like “Open File”). I looked for other threads on this topic, and the only similar one I found is this one. I checked the solution listed in the last post there, but the gschemas.compiled file is present with the correct permissions. This is an HPC running SUSE LES 15 SP3 where I do not have admin privileges.

Nothing shows in the logfile if I use SublimeLog.

Adding files to an existing sublime window using sublime -o on the command line works fine.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

0 Likes

No desktop environment (ssh terminal only).

GTK_USE_PORTAL is unset. If I set it to 0, I get the same behavior (immediate close). If I set it to 1, instead of exiting nothing happens (still no dialog).

0 Likes

How are you running ST without a desktop environment?

0 Likes

I run the command in an ssh terminal and it pops up in an X-Window. Unless you’re talking about the local machine, which is using Ubuntu-default Gnome.

0 Likes

So you’re using X-forwarding. Do other programs like nautilus, gedit or zenity (zenity --file-selection) work?

0 Likes

None of those are available on this machine. I just tried gvim and it has the same problem, but provides maybe a more helpful error messages:
On load:

Gtk-Message: 01:10:57.860: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 01:10:58.022: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

On exit after trying to open a file:

(gvim:215657): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 01:11:13.033: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' does not contain a key named 'show-type-column'

So it looks like something is wrong with the GTK configuration. Is there a stopgap I can use to make this work until I can get an admin to fix it?

0 Likes

You could provide that module from your user; technically there’s no need to install gtk as root at all. Or you can just not use the dialogs.

0 Likes

Okay, I was able to get this to work by compiling the schema myself using glib-compile-schemas then setting GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR to that location.

0 Likes