Sublime Forum

ST3 Update now is ST4

I guess there are many users here that where keen to auto-update to Sublime Text 4. At least I was looking forward to ST4. But I can see your point and a warning should be shown if you switch to a new major release. Beside licensing issues there could be other complications as well.

1 Like

This is a joke, right? When I purchased a v3 license, there was no expiration date. An update to v3 should not force a v4 upgrade on me with new licensing requirements. This is very shady, and may cause me to abandon this project if they don’t sort it out real quick-like.

9 Likes

So, where does one download ST3 again? I can’t find a link anywhere to be able to go BACK to the license and version I was using.

1 Like

st3 is here https://code.visualstudio.com/download

4 Likes

HAH, I already have that version. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

https://www.sublimetext.com/3

there are also st2 and even st1 downloadable btw.

5 Likes

[Ubuntu] Revert to ST3 and prevent auto upgrading

When I bought my license in 2016 it said in the sales FAQ:

Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.

I also find it weird that the auto updater would suggest the v4 upgrade to me, when it was clear already then that v4 was paid upgrade (and now worse, a change in licensing terms that I’m not even licensed for anymore).

4 Likes

I created an account just to echo what’s being said here. Completely frustrating to click a generic “update to the latest” button and suddenly need to buy a new license. I’m about to go ahead and pay because the really annoying thing is I love ST and have been looking forward to ST4 (and knew I would need to pay), but being tricked into it while trying to work on something was a very, very bad experience. Definitely damaged the reputation of the company for me.

6 Likes

Popup upgrade to nullify license. This is a horrible practice.

6 Likes

0 Likes

I completely agree with this post, and I only joined this forum after 8 years owning the license for ST3 to complain about this update. I immediately installed ST3 back, should I also stash the downloads just in case?

2 Likes

it is also worth mentioning that "update_check": false only works with Sublime Text. I am using a package manager (apt) from which i receive updates. So, as an additional step you should remove it from your package manager if you haven’t already.

0 Likes

Worst part: It doesn’t seem to be a bug but more an intended feature. Very bad practice…

0 Likes

Indeed a very bad and DARK practice! Happened to me today morning and I actually went ahead and paid for an upgrade since I’d been happy with ST since inception. However, that might change with this update. I stored all of my project files inside the root installation folder and this update DELETED them all! Also, after the upgrade ST4 still seems to reside inside C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\ folder. Not to mention, TAB to indent takes 500-850ms with ST4. Overall, a big disappointment and a bad start to an already shitty day!

2 Likes

Every great product starts its downfall at some point. I hope we’re not bearing witness to that right now. They really need to not only fix this, but make up the trust they’ve lost with this dark pattern, and the latter is the hardest part.

2 Likes

To me it smells of the current webdev culture of everything’s disposable and nothing lasts. Was perfectly happy with ST3 being my main editor for 8 years, with barely any modifications, and could have lived without any updates all that time. Then this happens. Turned off update checking and not updating again.

5 Likes

Have fun in your new journey. You won’t be missed.

1 Like

I agree that the upgrade notice should have been clear that it required a new paid license so that people could choose to upgrade or not without having to downgrade after the fact.

However, I purchased the upgraded license with no hesitation. Think about it: $70 for a three-year license is only $23 per year. If you use Sublime Text on a regular basis, as I do, that is peanuts! Just as you probably like to be paid for your work, so do the developers of Sublime Text who have every right to be paid for their work.

I tried VSCode twice, and hate how bloated, confusing and messy the interface is. ST is much more elegant and easier to use, IMO. So I’m happy to continue supporting it if they keep improving and updating it.

2 Likes

Just want to chime in saying I’m in the same boat. I bought a license over 3 years ago with the assumption that I could continue to use it for the life of ST3, and then a totally innocuous update later I’m suddenly having the program ask for a license key.

The fact this is an upgrade to a new major version with different license terms really needs to be made clear. This is very disappointing.

1 Like

The new licensing terms are clear. It’s not SublimeHQ’s fault you didn’t bother to read.

0 Likes