Sublime Forum

ST3 Screen flicker in linux

I’m experiencing screen flicker in linux using ST3.

I recorded a short video:

It does not happen on screen recording using software.

I have deleted ~/.config/sublime-text-3 to test this so it’s in a clean state.

My environment:

Archlinux 64 bit

CPU: i7-6700HQ
Using integrated intel GPU

DPI scale: 1.473
startup, version: 3126 linux x64 channel: stable

I do not see similar problems in other applications (chrome, firefox, terminal ,etc.)

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thanks!

0 Likes

I do have the same problem. It’s really annoying because it can take up to 3-5 seconds to show the text clearly after scrolling. It affect also the other UI elements, such as the tabs or sidebar.

Using Archlinux 64 bit

CPU: i3-4005U
Using integrated intel gpu

I don’t have trouble with any other app and OpenGL rendering seems fine (tested using glxgears).

0 Likes

This makes me think it is somehow connected to your video card driver.

Sublime Text does not use OpenGL on Linux. OpenGL is only utilized on OS X.

0 Likes

Update:

When my laptop is connected to an external monitor (via HDMI, but still using integrated intel GPU), the flickering disappears on BOTH external monitor and builtin monitor. Then if I move sublime window back to the builtin monitor and disconnect the external monitor, the flickering comes back.

It seems like it’s related to video card driver indeed.

I am using the kernel builtin intel graphic driver according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics
My kernel version is 4.11.3

I can switch back to an older kernel or try the xf86-video-intel driver to see if it makes any difference. I would keep you updated.

0 Likes

Update 2:

I just switched to xf86-video-intel driver and it seems great. I haven’t noticed any flickering yet. I would give it some time to see if there’s any other issues.

0 Likes

Okay, that’s interesting. I have to test it too.

Update: yes, the problem is gone after installing the Intel driver.

0 Likes

Grrr. So I just noticed this after not using sublime for a while. It’s great to find that others have it, but not great to find out that a possible solution might be xf86-video-intel. I had a problem with sublime and a bunch of other applications about a year ago that was fixed by removing xf86-video-intel. There was a much bigger thread that also suggested removing this driver in favor of the modesetting driver.

I’d prefer not to go back to the intel driver if I can avoid it! Any other thoughts on settings or root cause?

I’m also on arch linux, though I use bumblebee (nvidia discrete, intel integrated). Oddly, I get the artifacts when I do optirun subl3, which should be using the nvidia card, not intel).

0 Likes

Mods: please assist with hidden posts

I tried optirun subl3 also, but it seems that it would not use the nvidia card (check os.environ['DISPLAY'] in sublime console), I haven’t found the reason yet

0 Likes

I get :0 with that command (had to import os first). My cards:

$ lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA

Not sure if :0 means intel or Nvidia…

0 Likes

Run ps aux | grep Xorg in terminal, e.g. this is my output

root       568  0.5  0.8 710612 136068 tty7    Ssl+ Jun05  34:18 /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
root     23417 28.0  0.2 262776 48408 ?        Ssl  09:59   0:00 /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg :8 -config /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia -configdir /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d -sharevts -nolisten tcp -noreset -verbose 3 -isolateDevice PCI:01:00:0 -modulepath /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules

which shows that the Xorg using Intel card is on DISPLAY :0, and the Xorg using Nvidia card is on DISPLAY :8

1 Like

Thanks, I get the same (so it’s just using intel).

I’m having all sorts of issues now… what started as a simple attempt to try this with nvidia revealed that optirun glxgears -info is super glitchy/jittery. Then I tried with primus instead, it worked once, then refused the second time. dmesg said to run nvidia-bug-report.sh which froze my whole system. I get issues about my GPU “having fallen off the bus” and other ick in dmesg too. Really odd.

0 Likes

This thread brings back memories of the pain and suffering that was dealing with nvidia optimus graphics. I can’t even remember how many days I spent over the few years of having a Lenovo that I spent trying to get graphics to work properly and efficiently. Hot plugging was a no-go for a while, and when using the nvidia card, where was no throttling, so the battery lasted about 1-1.5 hours.

0 Likes