Sublime Forum

ST3 crashes constantly with OSX 11.1 beta (20C5048k)

ST3 crashes constantly with OSX 11.1 beta (20C5048k), you need to Force quit to get out…

0 Likes

Have you tried reverting to a freshly installed state?

0 Likes

It seems to be more a ST-Rosetta issue:

2571 Thread_51023: com.apple.rosetta.exceptionserver
+ 2571 ??? (in runtime) load address 0x7ffdffeb3000 + 0xd914 [0x7ffdffec0914]
+ 2571 ??? (in runtime) load address 0x7ffdffeb3000 + 0xbf18 [0x7ffdffebef18]
+ 2571 ??? (in runtime) load address 0x7ffdffeb3000 + 0x2b18 [0x7ffdffeb5b18]
2571 Thread_51034
+ 2571 thread_start (in libsystem_pthread.dylib) + 15 [0x7fff204a747b]
+ 2571 _pthread_start (in libsystem_pthread.dylib) + 224 [0x7fff204ab950]
+ 2571 google_breakpad::ExceptionHandler::WaitForMessage(void*) (in Sublime Text) + 390 [0x1042bdeac]
+ 2571 mach_msg_trap (in libsystem_kernel.dylib) + 10 [0x7fff20476e6e]
+ 2571 ??? (in ) [0x7ffe965169ec]

0 Likes

I’ve installed around 50 packages, and more than 10 years of everyday use of ST, and you are asking me to start again, from scratch, when ST is clearly failing with ARM architecture, is it?

0 Likes

No one’s asking you to throw anything away, you can easily move the data folder and move it back after testing. Reverting to a freshly installed state lets you narrow down whether the problem is in your specific setup or with ST in general.

0 Likes

With each “Force restart” I do (⌥-click on ST dock icon), the system leaves a daemon “plugin_host” eating permanently 2.5% of CPU… Eventually you need to restart.

If you

killall plugin_host

you get this alert on ST:

**plugin_host has exited unexpectedly, plugin functionality won't be available until Sublime Text has been restarted**

So I think I could do it better, after each ST crash, I could killall plugin_host

In fact, you can free ST from a colour beach ball frozen state, going to Terminall and killing plugin_host!

0 Likes

By design the plugin host can and will block the main application, so it sounds like a plugin is getting stuck. Is this happening with a fresh environment?

0 Likes

I’ve emptied the Library/Sublime Text 3 folder, and then copied into it the User Package and installed the Package Manager in the fresh and bare running ST3. It has automatically installed all my previous packages (55)… First crash after using cpp and linting and ⌘-B executing it…

0 Likes

I’m having the same issue in 11.0.1. There’s no rhyme or reason to the crashes. Just randomly and increasingly more frequently.

I’m also using a new MBP with the M1 chip, if that helps any.

0 Likes

Fair is to say ST3 is, not being Universal, fast as a bolt of lightning :upside_down_face:

0 Likes

I’ve emptied the Library/Sublime Text 3 folder, and then copied into it the User Package and installed the Package Manager in the fresh and bare running ST3. It has automatically installed all my previous packages (55)… First crash after using cpp and linting and ⌘-B executing it…

Do crashes still happen when you don’t install any packages?

0 Likes

Can you try reverting to a freshly installed state?

0 Likes

The problem with that “experiment” is you have to test it without using it… it is quite annoying using it without indispensable packages. I’ll try… perhaps a script to rename the Library/Sublime Text 3 folder before swapping to the very crashy one with the packages.

But if we find out that without packages or the Package Manager installed it works… Is it a solution for anything? And, on the other case, if it fails still without packages, is anyone reviewing this version?

0 Likes

But if we find out that without packages or the Package Manager installed it works… Is it a solution for anything? And, on the other case, if it fails still without packages, is anyone reviewing this version?

You can’t solve a problem without finding out the cause. If it doesn’t crash without the plugins then you can be sure it’s a plugin causing the crashes, and you can then systematically ignore packages to find out which one is causing the crashes and then uninstall or fix that one plugin.

0 Likes

Alphabetical order? Should I install each of them in alphabetical order, or is there any suggestion for the safest first?

0 Likes

I suggest listing the installed packages and then putting that list into your ignored packages setting. You can then comment them out in groups to narrow down the culprit.

1 Like

I’ll try it, thank you

0 Likes

I’ve rejected these ones… at least I can work with linters (thank god!) and will watch and cross-fingered for more time to add less important packages

"ignored_packages":
[
	"AlignTab",
	"All Autocomplete",
	"AppleScript Extensions",
	"BracketHighlighter",
	"Chain of Command",
	"ChucK Syntax",
	"ColorSchemeEditor",
	"dired",
	"DocBlockr",
	"File History",
	"File Rename",
	"FileDiffs",
	"Filter Lines",
	"FilterPipes",
	"Focus File on Sidebar",
	"FullScreenStatus",
	"Gnuplot",
	"Highlight Dodgy Chars",
	"HTML Extended",
	"HTML5",
	"Indent XML",
	"Inline Python",
	"Insert Nums",
	"IPython Notebook",
	"LaTeX Word Count",
	"Markdown",
	"MarkdownEditing",
	"Marked App Menu",
	"Modula-2 Language Syntax",
	"MoveText",
	"Origami",
	"PackageResourceViewer",
	"Pandoc",
	"PyYapf Python Formatter",
	"RemoteEdit",
	"rsub",
	"SideBarTools",
	"sublime-github",
	"Swift",
	"SyncedSideBar",
	"View In Browser",
	"Vintage",
	"Wrap Plus"
],
0 Likes

You know - if you want to come here and complain - be my guest but do not expect that your problem will be solved if you are unable or unwilling to help developers work out the problem.

Can you please do as @bschaaf requests of you: install a fresh ST3 and see if the problem persists? That’s a fairly simple requests.

0 Likes

I’m doing it, but in a more sensible way. If I use Sublime Text every day for hours is because its packages, like the linter… and so… I couldn’t test it without packages… what use could I give to it without them?

I suspect it is not One package but Many what crash it, but I have reduced my usual packages to the next ones. I’ve found too that when I save a fresh new file, it seems to last shorter than if not… but that is something difficult to ensure… as the crashes are pretty random

backrefs
C++
CiteBibtex
Color Scheme - Default
HTML-CSS-JS Prettify
jsonschema
Language - English
Language – Spanish
LaTeXTools
markupsafe
mdpopups
MyCustomFilterPipes
pygments
pymdownx
python-jinja2
python-markdown
pyyaml
SFTP
SublimeAStyleFormatter
SublimeHighlight
Sublimerge 3
Theme - Aqua
Theme - Default
Theme - Soda

After some time using the previous ones, and being progressively more and more optimistic, this morning I got a new crash.

So well, I suppose I have to narrow more the list…

0 Likes