Sublime Forum

ST still alive?

I, too, would like to at least know the ongoing development status of ST3. However, your landmarks are a bit off as I see it.

]the most recent dev release was in December. This makes it more like 2 months of pause, not 12 /]
]support has always been a bit spotty; it’s a one-man-band-side-project. If we want more attention we should get more copies sold, but we’re likely on an asymptote in that regard./]

We’ve had droughts before, so I don’t worry a whole lot. If things really are stoppered, though, a signal would be nice. If jps ever does abandon it, it would be nice to at least have the sources for basic bugfixing.

0 Likes

See Atom.

People are saying (and hoping?) that GitHub has bought Sublime, but I doubt it.

0 Likes

Slow down. I don’t know about you, but I use multi-cursors a lot. I’m not sure how well suited WebKit is to multi cursor editing, if it’s possible at all?

0 Likes

Came here to ask the same question. Jon have not been online since Jan 29.
Some more info about ST future (and Jon) would be great, please.

Although, i’m very happy with ST overall. A happy customer for a long time.
Hope Jon it’s ok. Really.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

Slow down. I don’t know about you, but I use multi-cursors a lot. I’m not sure how well suited WebKit is to multi cursor editing, if it’s possible at all?[/quote]

I’ve been digging through some of the published repos and internal architecture of Atom does look eeirly familiar.

Question about multiselection was the first that I asked. Is it a first class citizen or an afterthought?
This github.com/atom/text-buffer/tree/master/src makes me optimistic.

There seems to be more structure around plugins discovery/registration/dependencies (a good thing IMO) but other than that almost everything I know about ST development translates directly. I have to say I’m sold.

WRT rumors about ST being sold to Github. hmmm, I don’t know but I wonder if github would so openly rip-off a commercial product w/o some kind of deal in place.

0 Likes

[quote=“wuub”]I’ve been digging through some of the published repos and internal architecture of Atom does look eeirly familiar.

Question about multiselection was the first that I asked. Is it a first class citizen or an afterthought?
This github.com/atom/text-buffer/tree/master/src makes me optimistic.

There seems to be more structure around plugins discovery/registration/dependencies (a good thing IMO) but other than that almost everything I know about ST development translates directly. I have to say I’m sold.

WRT rumors about ST being sold to Github. hmmm, I don’t know but I wonder if github would so openly rip-off a commercial product w/o some kind of deal in place.[/quote]

I need to take some time to look at it properly, although it’s somewhat hard to see without the actual Atom editor being visible (it’s hidden).

I think GitHub buying Sublime would be awesome. Jon would take less shit from shitty customers and development would be a lot more transparent. I would still pay GitHub for a license, even if it was open source — although doubtful that they will OSS it if they have indeed purchased.

0 Likes

Give it a go. A lot can be inferred by looking at plugins. Basic stuff (keymaps, menus, commands, selections/ranges, event notifications) seem pretty much the same (in principle, event listeners are more JS-like).
Subclassing and styling views seems insanely powerful (d3 in github.com/atom/editor-stats) - If im not mistaken tooltips and terminal plugin would be almost trivial to do in such environment.

IMO if it happened it was an aquihire or simply a hire :wink:. f GH is intrested in developing a successful text editor (they are), Jon's expierience would be invaluable. Also if ST had any traction at GH, they were probably as worried as we here are about its possible demise. Hiring a single developer does seem like a good investment.

Lets wait and see. I’ll gladly pay GH for added services, use private repos @GH instead of BitBucket if Atom’s integration is awesome, but if the editor itself is closed source… I don’t know…

0 Likes

[quote=“Jackzon”]
Great news, and goodbye to Sublime.[/quote]

Does this mean that you/Arjan/other pseudonym will finally shut up and quit whining on this forum?

0 Likes

Jackzon is Arjan.

I deleted the post last night. It is the same thing he’s posted about 15 times before. Trolls suck. Please don’t feed the trolls.

0 Likes

Just came here to echo this sentiment. I check the forums/blog regularly for news but rarely ever find any. What I do find is a lot of people asking unanswered questions and wondering the same things I am. Sad. :\

0 Likes

It seems to be alive and well, I’ve been producing code with it for well over two years now.

To confirm it’s alive and well I fired it up on my laptop when I got to work today and wow, it started right up! Happy trolling!, I mean coding!

Not even close.

That’s my troll kibble for the month.

0 Likes

wbond: Please close this threat :smile:

0 Likes

@Wbond: i’m pretty sure i’m not arjan nor a troll.

But it’s impossible to have some doubts after months of total silence from sublime HQ, considering that i was a long-term E-text user and ST behaves exactly like E did: total silence, new major version was launched, few updates were launched then… gone. See the pattern?

So every now and then would be nice to see some updates (even if it’s “hey guys, i’m still alive” or “meh, this month i didn’t do anything on ST”).

I’m pretty sure that most of unhappines doesn’t come from the ST per se but for total lack of communication from HQ.

0 Likes

Sublime Text is fully functional in its current state. Sure it has some warts, but it is, even with its warts, my favorite editor. Sometimes this happens with projects. I waited years just to see a public beta of Beyond Compare on OSX. Talk about slow development, but it was worth it for an affordable cross platform diff solution opposed to the $80 products being sold on OSX (I didn’t need $80 dollars worth of features for a diff program that only ran on one platform).

I paid for ST3 about 3 years ago, and have gotten my money out of it. I don’t see a problem. If a better editor comes out, I will go there. That hasn’t happened yet. Even if ST died tomorrow. ST current state is very usable for at least a couple years. It is hard for anyone to pick an editor they will use for the rest of there lives. I’m just going to ride this wave for as long as it makes sense.

0 Likes

[quote=“yesman”]You are sorely missing the point. A lot of NEW users are worrying that Sublime Text might not be a long term solution.

Why worry? Because they don’t want to invest the time and effort involved in learning all the ins and outs of an editor that’s on the decline.

A simple “yes, we’re going to work on ST for the foreseable future and make sure it works in Windows 9 and Mac OS 11” is all they need.[/quote]

That is why I would say, if you like it at face value now, and are willing to use it at the near current state it is in, do it. I have no problem admitting that Jon is not a good spokesman for his product. He really needs to hire a face/voice for Sublime Text. I wish Jon was more vocal like everyone else, he just isn’t.

If there is nothing better, then it is a good choice. If there is something lesser but that has better support and seems like it will be there for years or seems like it has the potential to surpass ST, and that makes it better for you, use that.

My point is, I don’t think Jon is going to change. He isn’t very vocal, and I don’t think he going to be a lot more vocal in the future. Even when he is on a spurt of posting in the forums, he ignores certain kinds of questions. It is what it is. Threads like this get opened from time to time, but Jon has never revealed long term goals or plans because of these threads. People need to evaluate ST for what it is. A good editor with mainly only community support. And no one knows what the future for it holds. I know that isn’t what people want to hear, but that is just the way Jon seems to work. Even well supported products get sold off to other companies and then go to crap. Jon could be hit by a bus (hopefully not). I’m just saying, even if he said “yes”, it doesn’t guarantee anything. I would say if the product itself isn’t good enough to ease your worryings about the long term, maybe ST isn’t for you.

0 Likes

@yesman No I get what you are saying. I’m just trying to inject the reality of Sublime Text here. Jon isn’t someone who pops in every month to comfort people’s fears. I agree it would be nice, but historically, I don’t think its going to happen. I’m just saying this so people understand what they are getting into with this editor.

I suspect ST3 will be released just fine. People freak out when a couple of months go by with no releases. I think this is because Jon, at times, has released dev builds frequently. But sometimes he doesn’t. Even when Jon was updating regularly people open threads with “OMG why is this not open source, what if Jon dies?!”. There is always uncertainty.

I get how important an editor is. One of the big reasons for picking ST, was to be able to use the same editor on all platforms: OSX, Windows, Linux. That way I wouldn’t have to keep re-adapting. But I do look at other editors now and then. Just because I get used to a tool, I still wonder if there is one that will work even better for me. No sense sticking to something just because I know it. If something else would work better for me, then I think I should at least explore it. And I understand switching can be time consuming, I don’t take switching an editor lightly. Which is why I stress that this is the way Sublime is. If it bothers you, maybe it isn’t right for you. I don’t mean that in a mean way, just honestly.

I think there was a post long ago where Jon mentioned that he wouldn’t let ST die. Now that doesn’t mean he will personally develop it forever, but the impression was that he wasn’t just going let it waste away.

I think it is important for people to realize, if they purchase ST, they will probably only get support via the community in the forum. There is no warranty for ST. No guarantee that ST will work on Windows X in the future (though windows is usually pretty good with backwards compatibility). No guarantee that Jon will respond to you.

I agree with everything you say, I am just trying to be honest here. I am sure Jon has seen these threads. He just doesn’t respond to them.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

Slow down. I don’t know about you, but I use multi-cursors a lot. I’m not sure how well suited WebKit is to multi cursor editing, if it’s possible at all?[/quote]

Yeah, Atom/Webkit supports it just fine. The below image is from Atom with the Monokai theme. (That’s not an advert to say Atom is a replacement or anything, I just got an invite to try it out). I still prefer sublime so far, I don’t need some of the “new” features of Atom and I like that the same text editor works on all my platforms.

0 Likes

Honestly, i want my editor / ide running local on my computer, offline! How about my software that i develop? So i must store it in a cloud? For version control like bitbucket or github it is ok, but for pure development for me not the way i want to develop.

0 Likes

@xcalibur: i briefly tested atom today. It’s an offline tool :smile:

0 Likes

ST status started to act like a religion: have faith, believe, etc. And this is somehow silly because soon it may start to require some human sacrifices or something :imp:

I still have faith though.

0 Likes