Sublime Forum

ST multiple installs on Mac?

Sublime Forum Summary pointed me to “How to install another instance… on Linux”. OdatNurd mentioned something about MacOS too. But that talk of Data folders has me more confused than ever. If Data folders are not needed, please avoid in this thread.

Can I install 2 unique versions of ST that won’t get tangled up in each other?

0 Likes

A Data folder is used to store the session, settings, & caches for each install of Sublime Text. A standard install uses ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text on macOS, but if you create the aforementioned Data folder, ST will use that folder to store that data instead. Note that on macOS, the binary is a few folders within the application bundle & you’ll need to create the Data directory there: Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/Data.

The only way to install ST twice is to create the Data folder for at least one of the installs.

0 Likes

HOW? Data folder is created by Sublime Text installer. How does one create a Data folder, if one does not program operating systems?

And another critical point if one right clicks Sublime Text.app and selects Show Package Contents, and then in path /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS creates new folder Data, at least two new questions arise.

1. Existing system default /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3, delete or move to new? E.g., Does one create Data and add subs Data/Application Support/Sublime Text 3?
  2. What if macOS insists on some things staying in Application Support?
  3. Can Sublime Text be ported in this way as a var folder hidden admin app (stick or axe)?
  4. If one did var one’s editing, can copies of one’s var Sublime be slapped around to different vars and regular users on the same system? (honestly liked some of my teachers back when, though ever confused)

DISCLAIMER: hey folks, just curious as to what some other nurds might be up to :relieved:

0 Likes

How does one create a Data folder, if one does not program operating systems?

Your next sentence correctly answers this question.

Existing system default /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3, delete or move to new? E.g., Does one create Data and add subs Data/Application Support/Sublime Text 3?

No, just the Data folder is needed, ST will handle everything else itself. If you wanted to copy your existing settings, you can copy the contents of /Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3 into the Data folder.

What if macOS insists on some things staying in Application Support?

Operating systems cannot require things like that or where preferences go, they provide best practice/convention and APIs to support them. It is up to application developers to handle it correctly.

Can Sublime Text be ported in this way as a var folder hidden admin app (stick or axe)?

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking here, but I would assume yes.

If one did var one’s editing, can copies of one’s var Sublime be slapped around to different vars and regular users on the same system? (honestly liked some of my teachers back when, though ever confused)

I don’t know what the term ‘var’ means in this question (or the previous), but what I think you’re asking is if you can use this “install” of ST with different users or machines. And yes you can, it is a truly portable (granted macOS only) installation, with the only limitation (that I know of) of opened files/projects/etc will only be viewable if they are available.

0 Likes

AIYA! Your Nov 7 post just appeared !! …hmm
Good information. To confirm, went one step further than you advised and deleted Library/Application Support

Run Sublime Text Build 3176.dmg
copy
/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3
to
/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Sublime Text 3
and rename to
/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Data
delete
/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3

All my settings and packages in place, but Open Recent lost. We may also be forgoing certain features of the SIP construction. Since, we lost Recents - confirms insecure data somewhere. Additionally, Settings can no longer be saved, which is okay is you can live with default settings. Also, after Sleep, on wake all installed packages are lost. Its a pure default application.

Var refers to Users & Groups preferences. Unlock the panel, right click Admin user, LOOK AT BUT DO NOT CHANGE User ID: 501. ‘501’ is a public var. Would you like instruction on creating a hidden user? Hidden User works best with defaults like Application Support/Sublime Text 3.

Now, I suppose you could install Sublime Text is a single file app. But that’s not how its intended to be used. What were you trying to say?

0 Likes

I bet this is because you put the application in a directory your user does not have write access to. You should move it to ~/Applications for best results. And if needed, use chown to fix the file & folder permissions.

You’re on your own for whatever you’re doing here.

0 Likes