Sublime Forum

How to install another instance of sublimetext on linux?

I recently installed a couple of ST plugins now I cannot recover. Each line is highlighted:

I already disabled a bunch of plugins without success so now I want to create a 2nd clean install of ST and sequentially add my plugins there until the problem arises.

The way I’d normally do this is using the portable version on windows, how do I do this in Ubuntu?

0 Likes

ST multiple installs on Mac?

problem solved: I had to restart ST for the disabled package taking effect. The culprit was anaconda.

0 Likes

It’s not officially documented anywhere, but the magic of portable installs on Windows also works on Linux and MacOS; you just need to create a Data folder alongside the binary, and Sublime will use it instead of the normal location in your user folder.

So in you case you want to either create a Data folder in the location where Sublime is installed or download the tarball version of Sublime, extract it somewhere, and then inside of the extraction folder create a Data directory and launch Sublime using the executable inside of that directory. I recommend the tarball variant personally.

Note however that Sublime can’t be running when you do it; a running copy of Sublime advertises itself on dbus, and when the executable is launched it checks dbus and communicates with the running instance instead of starting a new one. So if you already have your “normal” version running, launching the tarball version will just focus the running window instead.

1 Like

Sublime Slow When Doing File Operations
ST3: Is there any way to have two separate configurations on the same user?

@OdatNurd, that’s a handy hint!

I just tried the 1st variant, without success:

user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ ./sublime_text --version
    Sublime Text Build 3176
    user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ mkdir STportable/
    user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ ls
    changelog.txt   Icon      plugin_host    STportable         sublime.py
    crash_reporter  Packages  python3.3.zip  sublime_plugin.py  sublime_text
    user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ ./sublime_text 

I made sure there is no sublimetext running in the background. All the plugins where still active whenn running ST.

I’ll try the tarball next…

0 Likes

To be clear, when I said that you need to create a Data directory, I meant that literally; the folder you create has to be named Data.

1 Like

haha, ok. It works well, thank you!

user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ mkdir Data
user@machine:/opt/sublime_text$ ./sublime_text
0 Likes