Sublime Forum

[SOLVED] ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

(NOTE: This was solved, see http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14417&start=20#p54868)

So jon told me I was rude and basically implied I was a liar because he had never seen slow speed on win64. Maybe my posts were getting a bit angry, but after weeks with no replies as a paying customer, I am starting to get really frustrated. ST3 solves important problems for me, so it’s a shame it doesn’t actually work on my project…

So I’ll try to explain my setup.

First of all, it’s important to realize I use the EXACT same project on ST2 on the same machine with no problems whatsoever. Moreover, I use the exact same project on ST3 on a Linux machine with no problems whatsoever.

Recent ST3 builds on Windows 8 64 bit, however, is useless for me.

Project: 80,000 files, a few hundred of these are massive sql scripts. The project opens fine, but after a while, ST3 is unresponsive. The weird thing is that indexing/ST processes appear to be sleeping. Some sort of deadlock involved?

If there are some logs or something like that is available, I am happy to post these.

IIRC, the problem was introduced in build 3019 from March, but I’m not 100% sure.

0 Likes

Jesus Arjan, stop being a Diva. Jon said one of your posts was rude (not you) and never said you were a liar, just that he wasn’t able to reproduce your particular problem.

0 Likes

Have you tried setting “index_files” to false?

0 Likes

Do you have any file_exclude_patterns and folder_exclude_patterns setup? If not, are there any files/folders which could be ignored by Sublime?

0 Likes

Arjan, perhaps you can take some steps to try to narrow the cause of the problem. For example, try excluding some folders with particular files, or taking some of your massive sql files temporarily out of the project, run a portable install with no plugins, don’t use a project but just drag the folder branch into an empty project etc. etc…

If you can get some clues as to what might be causing the problem, that will certainly help any debugging effort.

The problem is that few if any others seem to be able to reproduce the problem you’re seeing.

The only performance issue I’ve seen with ST3 - and I’m also working with some projects that have many thousands of files - is with editing particularly large files or files with particularly long lines (500K or longer). However I see almost identical issues with ST2.

0 Likes

Perhaps you could also explain why you need to run these, apparently, critical projects on three different setups?

Why the need to have the EXACT project worked on the SAME machine with 2 different versions of ST? With, I assume, both having purchased licenses.
Surely if you have purchased a license, you have already decided to use this software?
If then you are decided, why edit projects on the SAME machine with DIFFERENT versions?
If you are just testing the differences of the various releases, Linux over Windows or ST2 over ST3, why subject your important project to possible error by using untried software?
Having Linux an one machine and Windows on another makes much more sense, I can see why that might be a case. Stressing it with a LARGE project also makes sense.
However, by using this project to stress the software, it seems like you are deliberately setting out to push something to breaking point in an effort just to provoke a response. I hope that is not the case.

Add this on top of the already mentioned suggestions and re-examine your point of contention.

As to the size of your project. Seriously, 80,000 files?!
Surely that could be broken into more manageable chunks? I cannot imagine ANY project that would NEED access to that many files at the same time.
Your work flow would greatly increase if you could divide and conquer your project.

Putting aside any misgivings I may have over your intentions with these posts.
If you provide more detail about your setup perhaps ANY problems that may exist would have a better chance of being solved.
You mention you run ST2 and ST3 on the same machine.
Are they both on the same operating system, Win 8 64 bit?
If so are there any conflicts with the two versions with regard to the installed plugins?
Are there any conflicts with Windows DLLs and the two versions?
How did you determine there is a “indexing/ST processes” problem? What was it?

The more detail you give the more chance you will be aided. By just crying fowl all the time you are just, as was said before, acting like a diva.

0 Likes

CodeKit FTW!

0 Likes

[quote=“GrantSP”]Perhaps you could also explain why you need to run these, apparently, critical projects on three different setups?
Why the need to have the EXACT project worked on the SAME machine with 2 different versions of ST? With, I assume, both having purchased licenses.
[/quote]

Get a clue. I use ST2 on the same machine because ST3 doesn’t work. (I have ST3 to get the updates until it does work)

Yes.

No

I used ProcExplorer and noticed the problem already described

0 Likes

Yes, that obviously “fixes” the problems, but I need to have it on.

0 Likes

When ST is opened, the project files are changed by other processes? The problem goes away if you unplug the network?

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

Yes, that obviously “fixes” the problems, but I need to have it on.[/quote]

So then the reason it works in ST2 is because ST2 does not index files.

How much ram do you have on this machine? I wonder if you machine can’t handle keeping the index of all 100,000 files in memory?

Have you tried moving a few folders to see if 80,000 files works ok?

Are some of these 100,000 version control files? If so, have you set them to be ignored?

Have you tried checking out another really large project to see if it happens with that too? Using SVN to checkout something like svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/tags/ should give ST3 plenty to chew on.

0 Likes

[quote]Arjan wrote:
First of all, it’s important to realize I use the EXACT same project on ST2 on the same machine with no problems whatsoever. Moreover, I use the exact same project on ST3 on a Linux machine with no problems whatsoever.[/quote]

[quote]wbond wrote:
So then the reason it works in ST2 is because ST2 does not index files.[/quote]

Clearly then you are not using the EXACT same project.

0 Likes

ST3 indexes files whilst ST2 doesn’t. So yes, he can still be using the EXACT same project and have a different experience.

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

How much ram do you have on this machine? I wonder if you machine can’t handle keeping the index of all 100,000 files in memory?

Have you tried moving a few folders to see if 80,000 files works ok?

Are some of these 100,000 version control files? If so, have you set them to be ignored?

Have you tried checking out another really large project to see if it happens with that too? Using SVN to checkout something like svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/tags/ should give ST3 plenty to chew on.[/quote]

1. 16gb ram

2. I have not tried moving any folders, as i assume reducing the file set will fix the problem

3. It’s under git, nothing is ignored

4. I will try that

0 Likes

Check also that the disk holding your project is in good shape, both at the filesystem level (chkdsk, fragmentation etc) and also at the low level (smart errors, sector/seek errors etc.). For the latter you can check the system event log for errors reported by the “disk” service.

If there are disk problems, especially low level, this will cause things to get very slow indeed as your system gets stuck in endless timeout/retry loops that sublime is unaware of.

You can also check that windows hasn’t fallen back to PIO (vs. UDMA) access mode for the project’s drive as well. This creates CPU load and slow everything down like hell.

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]Check also that the disk holding your project is in good shape, both at the filesystem level (chkdsk, fragmentation etc) and also at the low level (smart errors, sector/seek errors etc.). For the latter you can check the system event log for errors reported by the “disk” service.

If there are disk problems, especially low level, this will cause things to get very slow indeed as your system gets stuck in endless timeout/retry loops that sublime is unaware of.

You can also check that windows hasn’t fallen back to PIO (vs. UDMA) access mode for the project’s drive as well. This creates CPU load and slow everything down like hell.[/quote]

SSD, I have no problem with it whatsoever. I did a benchmark on it just to have done it, and it’s in good shape; no errors in system log.

0 Likes

[quote]jbrooksuk wrote:
ST3 indexes files whilst ST2 doesn’t. So yes, he can still be using the EXACT same project and have a different experience.[/quote]

Yes, that is true. “index_files” is not a setting within the scope of the project settings. However, he is so adamant that the only difference between the two setups is the apparent degradation in speed he is experiencing. This firm conviction forcing him to avoid the obvious error in his belief. Take this comment.

[quote]Arjan wrote:

Again, clearly he does not “need” to have it on, for in his own words the experience with ST2 was without fault. Despite there being no indexing.
Despite all advice to the betterment of the experience, he remains resolute he is right.
I am no ST guru, I readily admit that. I am also not so stubborn as to reject the solution because it does not fit with my idea of what is the problem.
If only Arjan would see that.

0 Likes

Can you expand on what you mean by unresponsive? Also, is it a gradual thing, or does it happen all at once?

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

I used ProcExplorer and noticed the problem already described[/quote]

What did ProcExplorer show you?

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

It’s not at all obvious to me. Just to be sure, can you confirm that you did indeed try this and that the symptoms disappeared after turning it off?

0 Likes