Sublime Forum

[SOLVED] ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

[quote=“jps”]

Yes, that obviously “fixes” the problems, but I need to have it on.

It’s not at all obvious to me. Just to be sure, can you confirm that you did indeed try this and that the symptoms disappeared after turning it off?[/quote]

Yes, index_files=false completely solves the problem.

I have found that removing the most insanely large files makes the slowdown much less likely (there’s a couple of generated >1gb text files with bulk sql commands)

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]
Yes, index_files=false completely solves the problem.

I have found that removing the most insanely large files makes the slowdown much less likely (there’s a couple of generated >1gb text files with bulk sql commands)[/quote]

u don’t say?

0 Likes

Files over 4 MB aren’t indexed btw.

In case you missed them, could you also provide the information requested in the above few posts?

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

Files over 4 MB aren’t indexed btw.

In case you missed them, could you also provide the information requested in the above few posts?[/quote]

I answered them already.

If >4MB files aren’t indexed, I am really puzzled about what is going on.

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]…
I answered them already.
…[/quote]

jps is referring to posts on the previous page:

If he’s trying to figure out what is going on for you, you’ll need to provide as much info as you can since clearly he’s unable to reproduce your problem.

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]

[quote=“Arjan”]…
I answered them already.
…[/quote]

jps is referring to posts on the previous page:

If he’s trying to figure out what is going on for you, you’ll need to provide as much info as you can since clearly he’s unable to reproduce your problem.[/quote]

1. Not gradual, happens when project is opened.

2. ProcExplorer show 4 Sublime processes, each using ~28MB ram, and I just noticed that the processes oscillates between 0% and 100%.

0 Likes

FINALLY, PROBLEM “SOLVED!”

It was an interaction with McAfee (!) Turn off mcafee, no slowdown in st3.

Since mcafee plays well with st2, I assume there’s something tripping up st3 indexing when mcafee is running.

Amusingly, mcafee’s process is idling when I open the project, while st3 processes are going haywire for some reason. I suppose there might be some mcafee service processes churning along, but I’m to tired of this to even look further…

Admittedly, I had issue with mcafee and a diffing tool before, so I’m inclined to just uninstall the crap and declare st3 healthy.

Sorry about the noise.

0 Likes

I’m glad to see you got your problem solved, however you should really apologise to Jon for flaming him.

0 Likes

I think he should apologize for not replying to paying customers until they are pushed to flaming.

0 Likes

Arjan, feeling pushed to flaming sounds like a very subjective predicament.

As far as I can tell, all your posts have implied since the very beginning that ST was at fault, and in a pretty uncompromising tone too.

Even when you got the developer’s attention you were not as cooperative as you could have been at first.

You have every right to demand better service, but a more constructive attitude would perhaps have made things easier.

0 Likes

[quote=“guillermooo”]Arjan, feeling pushed to flaming sounds like a very subjective predicament.

As far as I can tell, all your posts have implied since the very beginning that ST was at fault, and in a pretty uncompromising tone too.

Even when you got the developer’s attention you were not as cooperative as you could have been at first.

You have every right to demand better service, but a more constructive attitude would perhaps have made things easier.[/quote]

Wow all my posts? You must have a lot of time on your hands. All my posts and emails were initially nice, then the utter silence got to me. I am not the only one complaining about the horrible support situation.

0 Likes

Good to hear your problem is solved. It’s hardly surprising actually, AV software tends to get upset when other programs are scanning/reading large amounts of files as their approach is to intercept every file read as part of the AV process.

I binned all AV software for that reason and, under Windows, am simply a little more “cautious”. I do have a copy of Clamwin installed, but that has no real time component but is useful for manual checking of USB sticks etc…

To the subject of flaming etc… let’s all tone it down and remain civil people. I understand the OP’s frustration, but I also understand the perspective of the developer as well. I have some issues with ST, mainly in the amount of niggles that exist together with the relatively slow pace of improvements, but that takes little away from what is still a great product. Given the nature of the unlimited trial etc., people have plenty of time to figure out whether the tool is right for them or not; same with the support situation etc… Any major issues that have arisen in the past have been addressed fairly quickly by Jon.

It’s less than ideal, but we also don’t know about the Jon’s real life and there could be a bunch of reasons. As to the subject of “consumer rights” well - try it as long as you like, buy it if you want, 30 day refund policy - that seems pretty fair to me. Getting frustrated and shouting won’t change anything. Being nice more likely will.

So stay nice people. There’s way too much hurt and aggravation in the world already.

0 Likes

My problems occured to late for that policy to mean anything.

And what the heck does Jon’s real life have to do with anything? He set up a company with all the legal and moral implications that comes with that. He receives payments. He has a customer base. Driving a company professionally is different from driving an open source project where anything goes.

He is a good programmer I’m sure, but his company has some way to go…

[quote=“qgates”]
Getting frustrated and shouting won’t change anything. Being nice more likely will.[/quote]

You clearly haven’t followed Linux development where frustration and flamewars is the daily modus. And you know what? It does get people to get their act together. The Sublime Text community is nice - so nice, in fact, that everyone puts up with hundreds of unanswered issues.

I really loved ST2, but the slow progress means that the next editor to add multiple cursors and regexp search is going to kill off ST in a week (vs.net 13’s editor is surprisingly close and supports multiple cursors through a plugin…)

0 Likes

If anybody feels the need to continue this discussion, please do so in a separate thread. The conversation has wandered off completely from the original question.

Cheers

0 Likes

[quote=“guillermooo”]If anybody feels the need to continue this discussion, please do so in a separate thread. The conversation has wandered off completely from the original question.

Cheers[/quote]

You started wandering off topic just above and now you want ANOTHER thread on it? Clown.

0 Likes

[quote=“somedude”]

You started wandering off topic just above and now you want ANOTHER thread on it? Clown.
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif[/quote]

That’s Jon Jackson breaking out the popcorn! I KNEW IT! He’s on the movies instead of fixing bugs :smiley:

0 Likes

God dam i love you. I have been trying to fix that problem for a month now. Sublime is awesome once more!

0 Likes