Sublime Forum

Monokai in sublime merge

I can’t work out how to enable the default monokai theme / colour scheme in sublime merge that I use in sublime text 3, via the instructions in the other posts, can anyone help please? I have both a license for sublime text 3 and sublime merge.

0 Likes

The below is shamelessly ripped from a reddit comment I made a few days ago where someone was asking the same thing.

Although you need to be a licensed user to change the Theme in Merge, you can still change the color scheme if you want to. The downside is that currently you need to create the appropriate settings files yourself, as there are no commands to do it yet. Note however that not all color schemes go with all themes; for example it looks decidedly weird to have a dark color scheme in the diff view if you’re using the Light theme, which will be bright colored everywhere else.

There are three settings files that you need to create inside of your Sublime Merge User package, which you can find by using the Preferences > Browse Packages command; you’ll see User in there directly.

The files you want to create are:

• Commit Message - {THEME}.sublime-settings
  • Diff - {THEME}.sublime-settings
  • File Mode - {THEME}.sublime-settings

Replace {THEME} with the name of theme that you’re using; that is, if you’re an unlicensed user, this has to be Merge, but if you’re a licensed user, it can also be Merge Dark (e.g. Diff - Merge Dark.sublime-settings). You can also have both sets of files configured as well; the default color scheme is Mariana for Merge Dark and Breakers for Merge.

In each of the above files, add:

{
        "color_scheme": "Monokai.sublime-color-scheme"
    }

Something to note is that although both programs use the same color scheme format, Merge requires some extra color scheme keys to provide the colors for the line and character changes in the diff. The last couple of builds of Merge will synthesize these if they’re missing, but that may require some tweaking. As far as I know, the versions of the default color schemes from Sublime have already been modified to include those scopes (though you may still want to tweak things a bit).

2 Likes

Willing to Compensate for a Custom Sublime Merge Dark Theme (more friendly for individuals with poor vision)