Sublime Forum

How to set color scheme for print function?

I very rarely print text files to paper, but sometimes I must. I have ST4, and have not knowingly installed any print plugin. The descriptions I’m finding of the Print-To-Html plugin for ST3 sound like what I’m seeing when I click File -> Print… Maybe it is installed by default now?

My problem is that the image sent to my browser is so pale I can barely distinguish text on the preview screen, and when printed to a physical printer it is totally invisible. Even finding the html tmp file and printing that via various pdf tools barely puts any ink on the paper.

I gather one could change the color scheme for the old plugin, but my ST doesn’t show any plugins, and there are no mentions of printing among the various color scheme settings. Can anyone suggest how to change the appearance of that print file?

It certainly doesn’t use my screen settings, which are a maximum contrast pure white text on pure black background. (But maybe that somehow confuses the print function?)

0 Likes

Sublime Text 4 has printing (using your browser) built in. It uses the color scheme you have active.

0 Likes

That’s what I’d expect, except for “dark mode” text should somehow print in light mode. Which maybe it is trying to do…

Here’s my mods to settings:
{
“theme”: “Default Dark.sublime-theme”,
“font_size”: 12,

“color_scheme”: “Mariana.sublime-color-scheme”,
}

Just noticed the comma after the last line, but removing it made no difference.

Here’s the browser dialog - Chromium/Vivaldi:

It shows my dark text on top, but the preview is pale.

0 Likes

Here’s the resulting pdf, with the text color shown as 171,171,171:

Somehow when that physically prints on my ancient HP inkjet, hardly any ink is applied and it is practically unreadable.

Maybe I’ve used some unrealistic combination of settings, but I have no clue what might be causing this.

0 Likes

The preview being different to the webpage is your browser’s doing, not ours. Firefox has a “print background” option for instance.

0 Likes

Okay, thanks for making me dig deeper… Vivaldi has a More Settings -> (scroll way down) -> Background graphics option, that prints the dark mode view pretty much like the Sublime screen - black background covering most of the page with expensive ink.

That’s not something I’ll ever use. So I guess I have to make a printing color scheme and do Preferences -> Select Color Scheme… to select it whenever I want to print. The existing schemes don’t make the plain text actually black - closest gets it to 50,50,50. At least with a light mode scheme the Background graphics option is not necessary.

(Yes I have lousy vision.)

0 Likes

Just received this via eMail:

alexjohn
December 10

can you tell me which software are using because in the function of printer there are many option it depends on the brands:cold_sweat:

Visit Topic to respond.

Doesn’t seem to show here…

I have Sublime stable 4143, if that was your question. The printer is an ancient HP DeskJet 895c, which connects to the wired part of my network via a parallel port bridge. Windows includes an HP driver, seems HP doesn’t support mine any more.

Does that answer your question?

0 Likes

It doesn’t show because it’s spam.

0 Likes