Sublime Forum

How to make double click highlight a word?

Hi,

I have been using Sublime Text 3 for few months (build 3126 now), and it has been working fine.

Yesterday I noticed that double clicking a word won’t highlight it. I think the behaviour has changed recently. Since the Sublime build is the same as earlier, the reason must be in somewhere else.

I tried rebooting the PC, and reverting to a freshly installed state (http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html). No luck there. So the reason might not be in any packages I am using, either.

I’m on Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1703, build 15063.540. Windows has pushed some updates recently, so the reason might be there.

I tried also googling around, but nobody else seems to have noticed ths kind of behaviour recently. With sublime.log_commands(True) and sublime.log_input(True), I can see that double click causes this event: command: drag_select {"event": {"button": 1, "x": 498.5, "y": 1264.5}}. Do you think it is the right behaviour there? How can I make the double click to highlight words again?

Update:
Tried the development build 3142, with a fresh install. The problem persists. Other programs on the same Windows machine do not have this problem (Chrome, Notepad, Notepad++, Windows PowerShell, …).

0 Likes

most likely a package is interfering with the default double click behavior - what packages do you have installed? (a fresh install doesn’t affect packages and settings)
you could try a clean state (I’m not at a computer right now to check what command is triggered for me when double clicking):
https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I already tried the revert (rename’ %AppData%\Sublime Text 3’).

I also found the root cause, but I do not know how to fix it. I have recently changed my monitor to a larger Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN (3440 x 1440). To make use the capabilities of this monitor, I use the Easy Setting Box software, which they offer. The main benefit of this software is that it makes “sticking windows” on the monitor easier.

I can reproduce the problem by starting the Easy Setting Box software to the background, and repair the problem by closing the software. A software for monitor felt so unrelated, that I would never even guessed to try that, but luckily the software crashes from time to time, when Windows is locked / PC is sleeping for a while.

Since I love to use both of these programs, could there be anything I can help to make a “bug” fix? The Easy Setting Box does not affect any other programs (Notepad++, Chrome,…), so there must be something special in how Sublime Text 3 handles double click highlighting.

This is the output of with sublime.log_commands(True), when Easy Setting Box is running, and double click highlight is not working:
command: drag_select {"event": {"button": 1, "x": 639.5, "y": 1075.5}}

and here is the output, when Easy Setting Box is not running, and when double click highlight is working:
command: drag_select {"event": {"button": 1, "x": 527.5, "y": 538.5}}
command: drag_select {"by": "words", "event": {"button": 1, "x": 527.5, "y": 538.5}}

In other words, for some reason, the command: drag_select {"by": "words", "event" is gone somewhere, when Easy Setting Box is running.

0 Likes

If the drag_select represents clicks on the same text in the same part of the window, the problem might be that the software is interfering with how Sublime registers where the click it happening or something.

Of course, if that was the case I would expect all mouse clicks to work in weird ways, so that is a long shot at best.

0 Likes

I would expect that, too. I think I’ll quit using the Easy Setting Box since double click highlight is a feature i use a lot. Anyway, it is good that now this is somehow documented, and can be found from the Internet.

0 Likes

Did anyone happen to find a solution for this problem? I’m suffering from the same thing, however in my case disabling the Easy Settings Box is not an option. The weirdest thing is that Sublime is the only software with this problem, all other text editors, browsers, IDE’s etc. work fine.

0 Likes

I have same problem. Double click not highlight a word. Today I update to new version 3184 and problem persists…

0 Likes

it’s likely a plugin interfering…
https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

0 Likes

Not working

0 Likes

Hi all, I have the same issue. I’ve reset Sublime, I’ve disabled the easy setting and the double click still doesn’t highlight the word. I’m using version 3.2

0 Likes

My bad, it is the easy setting causing this…I’ll have to use the ctrl D workaround until its fixed…

0 Likes

I had the same problem in all applications. Ubuntu 18 here.
Turned out I had to change:
Settings>Universal Access>Double-Click delay.
I set it zero.

0 Likes

I can double-click a word to select it without changing anything.
Sublime Text version 3208, Ubuntu 18.04.2.

0 Likes

I made the same experience today:

I also have to use the Samsung Program “Easy Settings Box” for splitting the widescreen into separated window-areas. Program is V1.0.39 (latest available on Samsung Support Homepage).

When I close the support program (Easy Setting Box), double-click for word selection and file opening in new tab work as expected in Sublime - as soon as I reopen the program, it won’t work.

My Sublime Version is: 3.2.2; Build: 3211

I assume that this could be a UIWindowsBoxModelWhatever issue whitin Sublime? Other application as mentioned before (Notepad++, Notepad, Browsers) working as expected on double-click…

Could you please advise how we can handle that (CTRL+D is not a solution).

Please let me know if I could give more information if needed…

0 Likes