Sublime Forum

Files with long paths won't open

Hi everybody,

This is sort of an issue.

Files with path around 300 will not open in sublime. This was reported back in 2013 : Cannot open file correctly when the path is too long for ST3 Build 3047

Now it is 2017 and it is still there in Build 3126.

I read that the 260 path length windows limitation was removed a while ago. I do not see why this issue was not fixed (even notepad++ can open long paths :unamused:). It is a shame a free tool can do more than a tool I paid for.

Regards,
Gilberto

0 Likes

Try using Long Path Tool program that fixes issues of long path files with simplicity.

0 Likes

See this: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

That’s not ST issue, that’s Windows limitation and it was removed only with the Anniversary Update of Windows 10.

1 Like

Cannot open file correctly when the path is too long

Indeed
After adding the registry, ST3 was able to files with long paths.
Though, I wonder how the other tools were able to open them before I did the change…
Anyway, thanks @ihodev

0 Likes

I think that some other apps have hack for that, because I also had problems with long paths in the cmd.

0 Likes

To resolve these issues for currently Windows versions or windows servers is a software named “LONG PATH TOOL”, I suggest everyone a software “Long Path Tool“ which can solve all the long path problems.

0 Likes

try Long Path Tool program, highly recommended in such cases

0 Likes

I also use sublime text editor for my web projects. I must say its a great text editor. I love it. But the problem here is that it does not open long path name files. Actually no opeartions can be performed on such a file, and it becomes a mess after sometime when you can do anything about it. Just like a trojan or virus sitting on your system. To solve this I used GS Richcopy 360 which solved my problem. Till now In never encountered that problem again. Nice software to rely on.

0 Likes

I highly recommend using the latest version of Long Path Tool

0 Likes