Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2084

Dev Build 2084 is out now.

The first change you’ll see is a blinking caret. This in configurable via the caret_style setting, which accepts these values:

• smooth: the default, it smoothly blinks in and out
  • blink: a blinking caret
  • wide: the caret from previous versions
  • solid: a 1px wide, non-blinking caret

The blinking speed, for the smooth and blink styles, is picked up from OS settings. I’m not sure what the default style should be, but I’ve got a feeling it should likely be ‘blink’ rather than ‘smooth’, or perhaps just ‘wide’, for no change - feedback is welcome.

The highlight_line setting has also been disabled by default now, but feel free to re-enable it if you prefer.

There’s also a new global setting, binary_file_patterns, used to identify binary files - any files matching this won’t be shown in Goto Anything or Find in Files. This allows files to be shown in open folders on the side bar, but not pollute the Goto Anything list.

There have been a few changes to theming now, too. Buttons with text now make use of the standard label control, and so will pick up any styling on the label_control class. It’s also possible to change the font used for most of the interface, but not everywhere yet (Goto Anything and the auto complete window fonts aren’t yet themeable).

0 Likes

Adjust caret blink speed

Can we have, say, “smooth”, “wide”] for the caret, please? :smile:

0 Likes

There is a hidden setting, “wide_caret”, you can enable to get a wide cursor with blink and smooth

0 Likes

Great! Thanks.
IMO wide blinking should be default.

0 Likes

Is it something related to my query about changing build output panel height (http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2466&start=0) ?
If it’s the case, it’s doesn’t work, the height of the “output.exec” panel is not stored.
But it work for the console panel which is great, Thanks.

My first though was “Oh nice”.
My second was “It’s very narrow”.
I will try with and without the wide_caret setting and see.
I’ve a strange feeling about it… It look “more white than white” :question:
But definitely a keeper by default.

0 Likes

There’s another hidden setting btw: “caret_blink_interval”, which is the time in seconds to complete a blink cycle. A value of 0 (the default) means use the OS settings.

0 Likes

I personally don’t think I will like have blinking carets. With a single caret it would be great, but when there is more than one caret I think it will end up being overkill and distracting/annoying. But I’ll try it anyway.

0 Likes

Something wrong with new version. It’s crashed about 20 times already :frowning:

P.S. MacOSX

0 Likes

[quote=“squ1b3r”]Something wrong with new version. It’s crashed about 20 times already :frowning:

P.S. MacOSX[/quote]

No problems on my end. Been using it since this morning. Mac OS Snow Leopard here.

0 Likes

Can you email me the crash report? What version of OS X?

0 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of crashes as well since upgrading to this version, on Arch Linux 64bit. I’m not sure how to generate a crash report…

0 Likes

I’m on Arch Linux x86_64 and haven’t crashed once yet :s

0 Likes

I can crash this build pretty easily on Linux by using my mouse scrollwheel.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

Can you email me the crash report? What version of OS X?[/quote]

It happens on Snow Leopard and still happens on Lion too.

About crash report. What email I can use for it?

Yeah, for me too.

0 Likes

jps@sublimetext.com

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

jps@sublimetext.com[/quote]

Done.

0 Likes

Thanks! I believe the issue is caused by the blinking cursor, if the caret_style setting is changed to disable blinking, it should go away. Hopefully the next build won’t be too long away.

0 Likes

[quote=“que”]

Great! Thanks.
IMO wide blinking should be default.[/quote]

+1

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]

Great! Thanks.
IMO wide blinking should be default.
+1[/quote]

+1

0 Likes

Unless I’ve just happened to miss this setting for the past few versions (which I hope I haven’t, as I started writing a plugin to do it for me on save, but failed miserably when I didn’t know the ST2 API and the docs are for ST1) we also have another new setting which I’ve been longing for: trim_trailing_white_space_on_save (default false, I’ve overridden to true)

In addition to that, I don’t know how long this bug has been in (as I don’t use overwrite mode) but (and this may be dependent on caret style, I’m on the default of smooth) in overwrite mode, at the end of a line, the overwrite caret is just one pixel wide (trying to be as wide as the character under it which is a newline character and thus hidden. And at the beginning of a tabbed-in line, it assumes a tabwidth of 8 characters (I have 2) so it goes a bit funny.

Screenshots:

http://www.clevercherry.com/media/image/blogs/alex/overwrite-bol.png
http://www.clevercherry.com/media/image/blogs/alex/overwrite-eol.png

Obviously it doesn’t matter to me, as I pretty much don’t use overwrite ever. Just happened to notice it.

0 Likes