Sublime Forum

Conflict resolution merge identifies entire file as diff instead of individual lines or hunks

When resolving conflicts, I expect Sublime Merge to identify each line or hunk that changed on both sides and allow me to pick left or right. Instead, SM identified the whole file (< 400 LOC) as one conflict and only allowed me left or right choice on the entire file content. Is that normal?

0 Likes

Sublime merge can't recognize the conflict correctly

If the entire file is identified as a single hunk, then there have been changes on every line - typically this is the result of either a line ending change, or less often, a tabs<->spaces conversion or file encoding change.

1 Like

This can also happen if the file was created in each respective branch.

0 Likes

I do systematcially see a diff on the entire file just because of whitespace (mostly line-endings), “hide whitespace changes” helps but sometimes hides useful white space changes (indentation in python code). While merging this is very unpractical and requires me to open a third-party app to do the merging…

0 Likes

hi, I am experiencing the same issue at the moment. I was wondering if you found a solution? What startles me is the fact that sublime merge rightly identifies the conflicting lines before I click on resolve.

0 Likes

No solution yet on my end

0 Likes

I see the same behavior: multiple conflicts are identified/marked correctly before selecting “resolve”, but conflict resolution view shows one big conflict as in the picture above.

0 Likes

Have the same thing:
In changes

<<<<<<< HEAD
cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6)
=======
cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6) 
>>>>>>> integration/master

project(blabla)

break

<another code diff>

But clicking ‘resolve’ shows CONFLICT for the whole file.

0 Likes

This same thing happened to me.

0 Likes

+1, still seeing this in May of '20. The summary page correctly shows the hunks in question, but when clicking ‘resolve’ it will show the entire file as a diff

0 Likes

Hi all,

Just a quick update on our end - We’ve been able to reproduce this bug, and we are investigating a fix for this issue. I’ll keep you updated as we progress.

Thank you for your patience as this gets resolved.

- Dylan

4 Likes

Hi all,

Another quick update - this will be fixed in the next build.

Thanks to everyone for reporting this.

Kind regards,
- Dylan

4 Likes