Sublime Forum

Comparing two files and targeted merging of specific changes

I was looking for a package that would do side-by-side comparisons of two files and allow me to make targeted changes (merge) of the content of one into another (potentially, two ways). Sublimerge used to support such a functionality, but unfortunately, its development has been discontinued (check here). I am a licensed user and I do have a bundle, i.e., SublimeMerge too, but I use it for git stuff. I would also like to be able to do advanced comparisons and targeted merging of local files.

Can you help, please? Any advice is very welcome. Thanks!

0 Likes

Have you tried gitsavvy?

0 Likes

Since you already use SublimeMerge for git, it might be worth exploring its capabilities for local files too. However, for more advanced comparisons, you might want to check out tools like Beyond Compare or Meld. Both are great for detailed file comparison and merging.

0 Likes

Wrt SublimeMerge, I find the Help and/or Manual a bit basic. Any advice on how to go about more advanced features etc.?

0 Likes

Then why don’t you check some online tutorials on YouTube? I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of info there. If I find something that might suit you, I’ll share it with you.

0 Likes

I found very little I must say. Just a few generic stuff to start with the all. This was the most useful search where I found the Terminal/Console command:
smerge diff FileA FIleB

0 Likes

Look for a channel called One User. There’s a playlist dedicated to different tricks for Sublime.

0 Likes

Yes for Sublime Text but not for Sublime Merge

0 Likes

Well, I found some info about it on GitHub (https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_merge/issues/669). But it’s not a lot. But I’ve noticed users on other forums have the same question. Sadly, it’s not so much info on it on YouTube and other websites.

0 Likes