Sublime Forum

Cannot run file from sublime text (cmd+B)

Hi @FichteFoll, thanks for your reply.

The Python3.sublime-build file is:
{
“cmd”: [“python3”, “-u”, “$file”],
}

The Python3.sublime-build file is in my User/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User folder

I don’t see what is wrong. I hope you can help, thank you…

0 Likes

The console is available through the View → Show Console menu item (I hope this is also the case on macOS).

0 Likes

Like this?

0 Likes

On my desktop computer I have created the same .sublime-build file and it is located in the same directory. But on my Macbook Air it does not work…

0 Likes

Have you installed python3 on both of your systems?

0 Likes

Hi @bschaaf thanks for your message. Yes, I have python 3.8 on both systems.

0 Likes

Hey @bschaaf and @FichteFoll: I think now it works again…

I have no clue why it is working now…I created a symlink to my iCloud folder this morning and tried out to run python files from ST and all of a sudden it worked again :slight_smile:

I hope it will continue to work, thanks for your help!!

0 Likes

Hi @DataMower, Im also reading the same book to learn python. Im instaled Python v3.8 and sublime text has the book advise.

the problem that I have is similar to yours and can´t get printed the firs exercise. The error that send me is this:

[WinError 2] El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado
[cmd: [‘python3’, ‘-u’, ‘C:\Users\Ricardo\Dropbox\Mis documentos 2018\python_work\hello_world.py’]]
[dir: C:\Users\Ricardo\Dropbox\Mis documentos 2018\python_work]
[path: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\130\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\150\DTS\Binn;C:\Users\Ricardo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\Scripts;C:\Users\Ricardo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38;C:\Users\Ricardo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Launcher;C:\Users\Ricardo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;]
[Finished]

Please, can you help me to solved?.

Best Regards.

0 Likes

Hey @Rick77, I don‘t know how I managed to resolve the problem, but now everything works fine. Just before I wanted to re-install sublime text…

Have you correctly created the build system? It seems that you work on a windows computer…

You can also try to re-install sublime text, maybe this will work.

0 Likes

Does python3 -u C:\Users\Ricardo\Dropbox\Mis documentos 2018\python_work\hello_world.py work from cmd.exe?

0 Likes

There’s no python3 on Windows, the command is just python. And the default sublime build does invoke python by default.

@Rick77 remove any special configuration you made for the python build, or at least change the executable name to python without the 3.

0 Likes

I have problems again to run files from sublime text. I get the same error as before:

Why does it not work and sometimes it does? @bschaaf @FichteFoll @An_dz can anybody help, please? I have no idea where the bug can be…

Python 3 is installed an starts up when I enter python3…

Thanks.

0 Likes

As shown in your screenshot, I think the base indicates you are under Anaconda’s env.

I do not think ST can reads PATH from Anaconda’s env unless there is some magic things involve in.

I am not using Anaconda so I have no decent suggestion for you personally. Maybe just found out where is the python3 via $ which python3 and add the path to PATH. Another way can be making a soft-link like /usr/local/python3 (I guess /usr/local is likely already in PATH) to it but I am not sure it will work or not.

Since Anaconda is popular, there can be already solutions as well. For example, https://dev.to/abdurrahmaanj/using-anaconda-on-sublime-text-39le .

1 Like

I cant build with python 3

hi @jfcherng, thanks for your post and the link related to anaconda!

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer.

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer.

0 Likes

Thanks!!!
It works!!!
the book was wrong.

Best regards

0 Likes

I think I have found the reason for the error:

The error appears at my system in the following workflow:
open sublime --> write a script --> save it under a name --> then run it directly

Everything works, when I first save AND close the file after writing it. When I reopen it (either through the finder or directly in sublime) and then run the file, then it works!

Is this a normal behaviour with sublime?? In my opinion it is strange that I have to shut down the file first and then reopen it to make it run correctly. What is your opinion?

0 Likes

No. The only requirement should be the file should actually exist.

0 Likes

Builds can have variants in them; an example of that in the Python build is that you can choose to build and run the program, or just compile it without running it (syntax check). The first time you do a build and there’s more than one option, Sublime asks you which you want to use, and then it remembers that going forward.

In your chase, choosing Tools > Build With (or pressing the key bound to it) will get Sublime to prompt you again which one to use.

0 Likes