Sublime Forum

Boxy (DA UI) theme missing

There used to be a good theme called Boxy. It’s repo is now deleted on github. Does anybody know what happened? Is there any active fork of the project?

UPD1: Boxy Theme.sublime-package v5.2.0 https://github.com/bofm/sublime-boxy-theme

2 Likes

Boxy – It Was the Most Hackable Theme for Sublime Text 3
Sublime Text versus Visual Studio Code in 2019
A File Icon – Sublime file-specific icons for improved visual grepping

unix15e8 3 points 15 hours ago

I vaguely remember him saying —on a GitHub comment— that he’ve decided to move on to Visual Studio Code, so he was stopping the development and maintenance of both “Boxy Theme” and “DA UI”. It’s not surprising for me to see him deleting all the other repositories [1] if he’s not using SublimeText anymore. Maybe someone else decided to fork his projects, in which case we will see them resurrected sooner or later.

I personally use “File Icons” [2] and the default SublimeText Theme.

[1] https://packagecontrol.io/browse/authors/ihodev
[2] https://packagecontrol.io/packages/FileIcons

1 Like

Here’s the network on GitHub. Some have commits from midyear.

FWIW, I also used Boxy for a long time before reverting to Adaptive/Mariana with some overrides.

1 Like

Wow he also pulled DA UI and all his other repos…
I really liked his themes. What a sad move to just delete the repos without further notice.

1 Like

BTW: Monokai Pro and Gravity are the best Themes anyways :wink:

0 Likes

Woah, Gravity is pretty nice. Wouldn’t have done the massive status bar myself, but overall it’s really pretty.

1 Like

Don’t have forks but local backups which could be turned into new repos to be published. At least for DA UI and A File Icon

1 Like

Unfortunately not compatible with you FileIcons :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Not out of the box, but it is pretty easy to make it work: https://github.com/braver/FileIcons#enable-file-icons-for-3rd-party-themes

1 Like

I just hope @ihodev is OK. His github has zero repos which means he didn’t just delete repos for Sublime, but for everything.

2 Likes

Will you publish it?

0 Likes

Need to remove some unresolved links from docs first. Some of the screenshots in the docs which were stored on github are lost though.

A File Icon can go on living I think.

Not sure about DA UI in the long term as it is closed source. Hence new features such as the new git badges can’t be integrated, I think.

0 Likes

Do the licenses even allow this?

0 Likes

The licence from my installed copy of Boxy Theme:

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2016: Ihor Oleksandrov

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

1 Like

A File Icon is also MIT or something similar IIRC (couldn’t have published a fork otherwise), but I don’t think you can go a head and publish DA UI (wasn’t that a paid plugin?).

0 Likes

It wasn’t paid, but I believe the plan was for it to be paid. The actual source wasn’t provided, just compiled python scripts.

1 Like

This situation is another lesson to learn that github forks are not true forks.

0 Likes

According to this GitHub page:

Deleting a private repository

When you delete a private repository, all of its private forks are also deleted.

#Deleting a public repository
When you delete a public repository, one of the existing public forks is chosen to be the new parent repository. All other repositories are forked off of this new parent and subsequent pull requests go to this new parent.

If the repositories in question were Public (and I assume they have to be, or they couldn’t appear in Package Control), then if any of them were forked, one of the forks is apparently now the master.

4 Likes

That would make it a bit weird to republish, unless the license explicitly allows it of course. Sounds like he wanted to keep full control over it. Anyway, not like there aren’t any other good themes these days…

0 Likes

DA UI is the most flexible ones without bloating the theme file itself. I don’t know about any theme which can compete with “DA UI Classic” or “DA UI Sodish” in manner of accuracy. Most themes out there are stupid copies and variants of the Materialize theme.

4 Likes