Sublime Forum

After recent update I see LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED

I think it’s worth being honest that this upgrade experience was pretty bad but that it clearly was not the result of maliciousness on the developers’ part. I feel this could be avoided by simply showing the changelog screen – and everything that would change, licensing, broken plugins, etc. – BEFORE the upgrade.

1Password does a really good job with this. I understand this is a “for-devs, by-devs” app but a little more UX around the upgrade process would go a long way.

Look to other indie devs like Panic for great experiences here. Lots of warning time, lots of support people available to talk to confused users, and blog posts that highlight the changes coming up.

0 Likes

Exactly, “making things better” happened because of the posts. And I don’t want anything more from the devs, just needed to get a confirmation that I can continue using ST3 as before, and I got that.

0 Likes

This is highly disappointing the way this update was rolled out without any notification. Please try to do better next time, first, you barely provided any features in 3 years, then there are free IDE and VSCODE and you rolled out a feature for mangaing GIT and want to charge $70 to use the IDE. Please, there are better ways to make money then rolling shady updates. I was a big fan until now after reading this nonsense about the sales FAQ and 3 years and also the pricing, better asks for crowdfunding next time and your users will support but this needs to stop and this issue needs to be resolved.

2 Likes

Yes, the only thing worse than the utter deluge of complaints is the occasional interjection from some smug ST apologist, acting as if on the behalf of ST, but really only creating a negative air of insensitivity in the face of an overwhelmingly unified sentiment of frustration and disappointment in the process. Hopefully the “shock” at least means you’ve registered how out of touch you are with the majority of users. Thanks for your contributions to this community! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

ST is text editor, SM is git client, none is IDE. I think that the devs are pretty aware of current topic, and they are working hard to resolve similar future situations. I think also that it’s very rude to talk like that.

No one pulled a gun on you and told you “you must purchase sublime products”… you are free to work with whatever suits you…

0 Likes

I feel the same that when you roll out product for your paying customers there needs to be similar respect shown to your customers from a business standpoint. And you’re right no ones pointing anything to my head it’s my choice and I can express my frustration caused by this release, it’s not a breaking change but when you put trust in something and pay for it you expect transparency, not refer to purchase FAQ’s in response. There’s been no updates from your product in 3 years.
Last update on release 3.2.2 (BUILD 3211) 1 October 2019, that’s almost 3 years ago. So I paid 3 years ago and received no features, no updates. You see my point here.

1 Like

i totally understand your ‘frustration part’, but no one is going to benefit from constant all-around rant, if we can agree.
No bad intentions from my side neither, i just wanted to point out that rant isn’t going to bring us any good (i suppose)

1 Like

I’m also really disappointed in this upgrade path. I bought Sublime Text in 2012, gladly upgraded to 3.0 for $30 in May 2018, and now would have to pay almost full price because my licence is 3 years and 3 weeks old.

3 Likes

This is forum for discussion. If you have a real issue, report it on github. Don’t come here to complain about non-issues.

1 Like

This is an extremely user hostile choice, I bought a LIFETIME ST3 license - thats the way it was marketed when I bought it. By forcing a ST4 update (without warning) you have violated the terms of the license.

2 Likes

f you purchased Sublime Text 3 license years ago then by all means you are covered by those old terms. You basically have access to a perpetual license for that version. But Sublime Text 4 or now simply called Sublime Text has new terms now. Now instead of having a perpetual license for that specific version, you are paying for 3 years of support.

solution A: pay for the new version or keep using it unlicensed.
solution B: downgrade to ST3 and keep using it happily with your perpetual license for that version.

1 Like

Re-downloading ST3 results in an automatic FORCED upgrade back to ST4.

1 Like

I suggest you read this. It will solve your problem.

0 Likes

Great! That would of been helpful BEFORE being forced to upgrade to ST4.

Where exactly is that FAQ link located on the official ST3 documentation? https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/index.html

It appears this is a major issue so perhaps a call to action with a notice would be helpful instead of making people complain in support to find the link.

2 Likes

Perhaps a link that says “keep using ST3” on the buy a license page ~ or perhaps not force the upgrade for lifetime license holders. That would be helpful.

0 Likes

The duality of man. First they complain about Sublime Text not having updates. After an update finally appears, they complain about it.

6 Likes

I was also surprised by this but am planning on moving forward with ST4. I am a long time user, and purchased licenses in 2012 and 2017. I definitely don’t mind paying for my software, particularly for a reliable tool that I use daily.

However, I think a lot of this discontentment could be solved by revising your pricing model. In my opinion, $70/80 bucks for an upgrade is a bit high considering the current landscape out there. I’ve always appreciated the quality of ST and have been a happy user for almost 10 years, but another $80 on top of what I have already paid is a bit too much for me.

2 Likes

Please keep in mind that it might not be the same users. And it’s normal for different users to have conflicting requirements, that’s what makes development fun.

0 Likes

I too bought a license specifically in order to pay developers for their work, and I would have been happy to pay a reasonable amount to upgrade. However, the way that this upgrade looked like a normal bugfix meant that it was not transparent that I was upgrading to version 4 and that there would be a cost, which I am not happy about. I am sure that the developers know their terms and conditions inside out but they are not my favourite bedtime reading and I should have been advised that a version upgrade and cost would be involved. I have rolled back to version 3 and added "update_check": false to my preferences. I will evaluate whether I want to upgrade to version 4 and pay the upgrade fee in my own time, but this sort of high handed behaviour undermines trust.

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing this feedback. From our end, this was a genuine oversight as we got a bit to excited to share Sublime Text 4 with the community.

We still want you to enjoy Sublime Text 4, and as such we don’t put any restrictions on Sublime Text 4 even if your license is lapsed - there’s just a small “Upgrade Required” title which can be ignored if you’re still evaluating.

We appreciate this may have interrupted your workflow, and will be working to improve the update dialog in the meantime to provide more information and improve clarity.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

2 Likes