Sublime Forum

After recent update I see LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED

I like to pay other developers. The issue is not that ST4 costs something, it is that you were forced to update to ST4 without even knowing beforehand. Surely you can redownload ST3.

But it would be great if there are some open communication by the developers. It is even unsure right now if this is a bug or intended.

9 Likes

Joined forum express to express my dissatisfaction with this. I am totally okay with the new pricing model for Sublime 4. I am okay with the price point and the fact that my current 3 license doesn’t upgrade it. I am entirely not okay with the fact that my current copy of 3 showed exactly the same upgrade alert it has shown for every other upgrade in the history of the software then performed an in-place upgrade to a version I do not have a license for.

I downloaded and installed ST4 individually and was pleased to see that it installed side-by-side with my ST3 installation. When ST3 then prompted for an upgraded, I expected it to be a minor release, presumably to facilitate some upgrade path to 4 - maybe even with no functionality, but a new upgrade mechanism to upsell to 4. I would be have been fine with that as well. ST3 upgrading in-place to 4 with no warning, and no notification I find entirely unacceptable.

I was about to purchase a personal license for 4, as well as new licenses for my team members who use ST. I will not be, and will be directing them to cancel the upgrade and stay on 3, until this is addressed in some way. It is likely already too late to do the right thing for people who did upgrade to 4 but I expect some sort of communication and apology. This was not the correct way to handle the new version.

11 Likes

here’s the scammy part
3.2.2 (Build 3211) 1 October 2019

subl put off upgrades and merge all updates from 1oct2019 UNTIL a few days ago to release an ad to ST4. it is a dis-service to ST3 users, like a middle finger to ST3 license owner. at least this is what i feel, I believe we’re all here because we did pay for ST3.

9 Likes

And what about this?

0 Likes

What about it?

You do realize that Sublime Text 3 was around for years in beta before it was officially released, allowing people that had ST2 licenses to use it for a long period before it was actually out and having to upgrade their license, right?

And that ST4 has been available to anyone that had a license since November of 2019 to use as much as they wish before the official release required people with older licenses to upgrade if they wanted to keep using it?

If the developers wanted to run a scam they would have deleted all of the downloads for ST3 from the server so that everyone that didn’t already have an backup would be forced to keep using it.

In fact that’s not the case and you could even roll all the way back toSublime Text 1 if it suits your fancy would seem to indicate the contrary.

The less time people spend complaining about the “shady” business practices of a company that sells software the more time they will have to roll back or move on to some other tool that’s slower but fits their ideals better.

1 Like

I’m not really upset about the need to purchase a license. I’ve used ST since ST2 and pretty sure I remember having to purchase ST3. Here’s what I don’t like. ST3 doesn’t tell you it’s upgrading to ST4. Seems a bit back-channel to me… So now I have to go back, uninstall and re-install. That’s an annoyance.

Additionally, I checked and there is an upgrade option which is cool, it knocks $10 off the upgrade to ST4. But it looks like the upgrade price is a limited time only so I have to choose quickly. FWIW, if I had to choose now, I’d say “no”. IMO $80 is just too much for a text editor… But that’s just me. It looks like you can bundle ST and SM in the upgrade, but as of me writing this it actually costs $2 more to do that…

5 Likes

Telling the user there’s an upgrade available, and then going from v3 to v4 and demanding $80, is beyond shady. This is after buying multiple ST3 licenses across multiple jobs and evangelizing the product. I actually signed up for a forum account just to post this! I never do this.

So then I tried to short-term downgrade to ST3 but it’s not working out - things aren’t rendering correctly and I refuse to spend any more effort on this dead end. It’s time to suck it up and switch to VSCode, which is a big bummer, but this is just an abysmal product experience and I guess all good things come to an end.

7 Likes

Hi all, just sharing what I posted on the other thread:

Thanks for sharing this feedback - we hear your concerns and appreciate the feedback!

We are very excited to share the major improvements in Sublime Text 4, but in our excitement we didn’t anticipate the update path to interfere.

There’s six of us here at Sublime HQ (including me), so we fully appreciate the support and feedback of our community. We will be looking to improve the upgrade path for the future, but we’d also like to ensure you enjoy Sublime Text 4 straight away.

If you found that the upgrade path for the first version of Sublime Text 4 was not ideal, just continue to use this version - we want you to try it! There are no nag screens, just an initial reminder about the license.

For those that do want to install a previous version, you can do so with the below instructions:

1. Download and install a previous version
  2. (Optional): disable update checks by navigating to Preferences Settings and adding "update_check": false

Thanks again for supporting us, and we’ll be working to improve the upgrade process in future versions to supply clear information about the upgrade.

Cheers,
- Dylan

5 Likes

This was very poorly done. There needed to be some indication that the upgrade we were prompted for would require the purchase of a new license. I don’t actively follow ST development so this is quite a surprise. I’m definitely not excited about purchasing additional licenses with the way this was introduced.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this feedback - we definitely hear you and we are sorry that the upgrade process was not up to scratch. We are working to provide more information in the update dialog for future builds.

For now, feel free to continue to use the initial Sublime Text 4 build - there are no nag screens and only an initial reminder about the license which can be dismissed if you’re not ready to upgrade.

As we’re a team of six people (including me), we want you to continue enjoying Sublime Text and will do what we can to improve the experience for future builds.

Thanks for your patience, understanding, and feedback!

- Dylan

1 Like

I appreciate the responsiveness. Thanks.

0 Likes

So you’re justifying the following scenario: I buy the license for ST3, use it for years, don’t care about upgrades along the way but accept them to stop nagging (update_check option is not documented), then one day I’m forced to uninstall ST4 that I didn’t ask for, didn’t agree to, was not warned about in the update dialog, reinstall ST3, and deal with eventual fallout problems.
You’re saying this is a normal thing to happen with software that you bought?
I agree, we should save time, but I would like to save it on fiddling with the tool I’m using to do actual work because it suddenly decides to pull the rug under my feet.

5 Likes

I’ve had PaintShopPro for about four years now. Every so often it tells me that there’s a new version that I can get for £XX. And I politely decline. I’m happy with the version I have.

Never has it offered me what looks like a bug fix, moved me to the latest version, and then told me my license isn’t valid.

My office is trying to get us all using a different IDE in the interests of standardisation. My team have resisted because ST3 is light and friendly and does what we want. And we have licenses. I think I’ve just lost all arguments about why we should hold out. If only ST4 had provided a compelling reason to upgrade, we would have.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m just very disappointed. ST is literally the only piece of software I ever bought (other than Windows on some machines I bought), and this is literally the only forum I ever signed into, just because of this problem.
I would expect something like this from other software, but not from an editor that NEVER crashed or slowed down or started acting weirdly for me.
@djohnston: I don’t need new and exciting features quickly. I need a completely transparent tool that I settle into like a comfortable pair of shoes and do my work.

2 Likes

Hi @bcace, completely understand where you’re coming from and we’re going to do our best to improve the messaging of the update dialog. We we’re just so excited to release Sublime Text 4 that we missed improving the clarity of our auto update system.

We’re working on improving this, and we hope you continue to enjoy using Sublime Text. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

1 Like

No, OdatNurd - we’re saying that we had ST3 licenses that didn’t expire but that we’ve been shifted on to ST4 without our consent and we’re now being asked to pay for a choice we didn’t make.

3 Likes

The developers have accepted that the upgrade process wasn’t as smooth as they had expected and that a lot of people aren’t happy with the sudden upgrade to a major version without explaining anything in the auto update message.

Your license isn’t expired. You can still use ST3 with your license as mentioned in the above FAQ.

Related: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/previous_versions.html

0 Likes

Funny enough, despite the shock of an undocumented paid upgrade (have bought/upgraded from 2 to 3), I was even prepared to spend the $152 US to do so and also buy the merge product. After all, I use it daily.

Then, when I go and try and purchase, BOTH of my (recently used) VISA cards were declined. Am Canadian.

Whoever approved that upgrade text for release made a HUGE mistake. That VISA process was no thrill either.

This is actually a good opportunity to give NP++ another try and to continue to use VS Code / Platform IO as I wasn’t really using the advanced features of my registered version of Sublime 2 and later 3 these many years.

I may come back and look for support (if this forum is the proper support mechanism), and I may not.

Edit: Now that I’m retired on fixed income and just working on open source projects, not sure if that expenditure was in my best interest anyways.

4 Likes

I’m pretty shocked at the amount of whiny, entitled sounding people on here.

Yes, the upgrade notice/process was a mess and confusing — but the devs have held up their hands and vowed to make this better. Jeez, has no-one here ever miscommunicated? What more do you actually want or expect at this point?

Look once you calm down you will realise: No one has taken anything away from you!

Sublime Text 4 is an excellent piece of software. You don’t want to pay? Don’t pay.

Think VSCode is better? Go and use it (and enjoy giving away your data).

If you are having problems with your licence, contact sales and they will sort it!

All the ridiculous threats that you will effectively ‘take your ball back home’ if people don’t jump through hoops is pathetic!

5 Likes

Yeah, I agree. But I think those posts needed to exist. It just was unclear if the developers were audacious and evil or just didn’t think about the whole update/upgrade process. The latter is just human error and no evilness :slight_smile:

4 Likes