Sublime Forum

After recent update I see LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED

Seems to me that you just can’t stand people having different opinions online.

You can insult me all you want. It won’t change the fact that you wanted your old ST3 license remain valid in ST4.

1 Like

No, you’re a troll and you clearly have nothing better to do than harass people here.

3 Likes

No, I’m simply replying back. Just because you don’t like my stance, doesn’t make me troll.

1 Like

I did not want my old license to remain for ST4 I did not want to update to ST4 at all how are you coming up with this? Try reading what people are saying instead of just assuming and you will look like less of an idiot.

2 Likes

Nobody forced you to update. You could simply close the update prompt or disable the updates completely in the settings.

1 Like

This is what makes you a troll. You’re NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Everybody here has said that the prompt gave no warning that it was taking you from ST3 to ST4. It just looked like a standard update.

4 Likes

[Ubuntu] Revert to ST3 and prevent auto upgrading

Then simply redownload and install ST3. No need to complain in a thread about it. The old license still works.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a sock puppet account but I do think it’s a shame that ST (the organization not the tool) has allowed them to become their de facto spokesperson in this matter. ST did issue a statement (both here and via email) but, to my eyes, it is very much a “Sorry, not sorry” statement.

I think ST has decided that this will all burn itself out soon enough and, truth be told, they are probably correct. But at what cost?

2 Likes

That is just you. They already admitted to the small mistake. That should be enough for you. If you want SublimeHQ to beg for forgiveness or offer you a bigger discount in the new license, you have the wrong expectations.

0 Likes

OK. They’re a small team (six people) and they stuffed up. You know it, I know it.

Did they spend hours wailing and gnashing their teeth, begging forgiveness? No. But you know what - they’ve apologised and promised to do better next time. (And after all this ruckus, we can be pretty darn sure they won’t forget.) They did the right thing, and now they’ve gone away to fix up their release procedures, and then keep building software. Which is kinda what we want them to be doing, no?

Yes, I also felt a bit cheated that they quietly updated me to a version I didn’t have a license for with no obvious way to downgrade … but after about three minutes on google, I found this page and got the link telling me I can just delete ST4, reinstall ST3, and turn update_check off. And you know what? It worked. No more upgrade message. My life can move on. The world has enough real problems without getting me knickers in a twist over this.

So @djohnston, thanks for making ST3. I use it and I like it and I’m gunna keep using it. Might even upgrade to 4 one day when I have some spare $$$.

Peace.

6 Likes

new%20ST%20available

I’m guessing this is the upgrade dialog box for ST4. In fairness to the folks that are angry, it doesn’t say anything about ST4.

It’s true, that for some folks I’m sure the “downgrade” process is virtually effortless, but if you read the posts on this forum, for lots of folks, they have unexpectedly lost work.
This “episode” has made me backup the things I didn’t think I needed to backup, so useful to me, thank you!

How much does a dev get paid ? $20-$1000 an hour, if this has cost four hours to sort out, it’s $80-$4000 down the pan. If you were robbed of $80 I’m sure you’d be annoyed!
Of course it’s not exactly the same thing, but there are parrallels.

I can’t understand the folks that can’t understand why folks are angry, I’d be fuming. (Well I’m used to ST, so am used to having do to somework with it, so perhaps I’d be a bit less fuming)

One of the issues with the “Sublime Brand” is there’s no dedicated staff member for customer support/interface, they’re just a little team (I don’t get me wrong, I use ST3, I like what it’s trying to do) but I guess they’re not quite large enough to have a dedicated customer service/marketing person to handle stuff like this. And when folks pay they (rightly or wrongly) expect service !
There have also been a few flamethrowers on this site (which I think is the only customer support folks get here on this forum ?) really making things loads worse, and even the tone of one or two of folks on the team went a bit passive aggressive which doesn’t help.
@SublimeHQ I think you need some-one to help you with marketing and stuff, even if they’re only contracted in for a couple of months around new major release…

Right better go and do some work, thanks for reading…

7 Likes

I was also very surprised, both with the update and with the licensing issue.
I was also surprised by the price of the upgrade and the fact that I don’t see any discount for License Upgrade.
I like Sublime Text, but i don’t use it that often to make the upgrade worthwhile. I will stay probably with ST3 .

3 Likes

There is a 20% discount for upgrading the license. It will cost you the same as your old ST3 license since the price has increased to $99.

0 Likes

80$ is discounted price? You mean upgrade will cost 99$ I have paid less for ST3 without any discount.
Or you mean that it is discounted in relation to new license?

I’m referring to price 70$ which was mentioned above - I don’t see it anywhere.

1 Like

The discount period is already over. It was only till the end of last month.

0 Likes

I wish I knew. This also was not communicated well. But thank you for information.

I wonder if it would not be a good move to extend the discount the current situation.

4 Likes

Hi.
I was rewarded with a “license upgrade required”.

Issue 1: The upgrade is $80 while a totally new license is $99. Not a whole lot cheaper to upgrade.
Issue 2: The corporate version is $69 per user. Are you really selling corporate licenses cheaper???
Issue 3: JetBrains Rider (my own choice of comparable software) is €139 at initial purchase and year 3 it is €83. A complete dev environment compared to an, albeit great, text editor.

The above results in a disappointed and lost customer for you.
Bye. See you in the next life.

6 Likes

Longtime user of Sublime here. Very very disappointed in this. Tried to downgrade to ST3 as suggested by multiple posters above, but unfortunately doing so breaks my whole setup. (I get an “Error loading syntax file” popup, none of my files will load, and I’m not willing to go down whatever rabbit hole would be needed to fix this.)

I’ve been considering switching to VS Code for a while now, so I guess this is the time to pull the trigger. Note to Sublime devs: dark patterns like this are bullshit and will cause some of your customers to simply uninstall and never consider using your software again.

5 Likes

I haven’t been happy with sublime text 3 for a while anyway. Will be moving back over to vscode after this. They support git for free, so that’ll be nice to have. later.

3 Likes

That is peanuts for anyone getting paid as a developer.

No, it’s more expensive since you pay per year with a business account. That said, nothing stops you using your personal license in a company environment.

Jetbrains is an IDE. Not a text editor. It is made and supported by a bigger company that can price more aggressively in the market.

Are you by chance a linux user? Upgrade and downgrade works fine on Windows.

Give Sublime another try. I made a thread about plugins for people like you. There is a free and open-source git extension there.

0 Likes