Sublime Forum

Zen Tabs

[size=120]I build Zen Tabs(https://sublime.wbond.net/packages/Zen%20Tabs) plugin because I tired of mess in my tab bar. Zen Tabs automatically closes older tab when you open a new one, so you don’t overreach a configurable limit. Its target is focus and peace of mind - Zen.[/size] :wink:

[size=150]Spoiler[/size]
How often do you see something like this? It is useless pice of sh… Isn’t it?

Now it stops!
Now you can be in Zen when you are working with Sublime Text.
Your tab bar can always have a look like this:

Or even like this:

You have to do nothing for this. You just need to install this package, set opened tabs limit(default 10) and enjoy.
When you will open 11th tab the oldest one will be closed. And don’t worry it will never close any tab with unsaved work. If you have nothing but tabs with unsaved work, it will just ignore the limit and create a new tab anyway.

Recently I’ve added one more feature - Tab Browser. It is “quick panel” with opened tabs in it. To open Tab Browser just press [size=110]alt+tab[/size] :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22258694/ZenTabs/ZenTabs-QuickPanel.jpg

] you can proceed to push alt+tab and move through tabs/]
] you can use arrow keys to move through tabs/]
] you can start typing name of tab to filter items in panel/]

[size=130]I’ve already had a plan of possible improvements(https://github.com/travmik/ZenTabs/blob/master/TODO.todo) - but if you are interesting in or have some ideas how to improve it - I always welcome it.[/size]

0 Likes

It seems not to be working on ST3 . . . ?

0 Likes

Uh oh. :open_mouth:
I will check tomorrow!

0 Likes

Seems like I fixed issue with ST3.

@quodlibet thank you for your report :sunglasses:

0 Likes

Yup. Thank you! The plugin looks great. It may be useful to “pin” tabs which contain files you may be constantly referring to, such as TODOs, outlines, etc. so that Zen Tabs will never close them automatically. But that might be too much of a hassle.

0 Likes

Thank you.

I’ve already had such functionality in TODO - https://github.com/travmik/ZenTabs/blob/master/TODO.todo. I also would like to have something like favourites tabs.
So to add tabs to some unclosable list is not a problem but I still don’t know how to visually mark such tabs. Without marking tabs this feature will be unusable. :frowning:

[size=110]If somebody has idea how to solve it I will be very appreciate.[/size]

0 Likes

I tried your plugin on ST3 , but after install, I couldn’t change package settings or key bingding. :frowning:

0 Likes

will check it!

thank you

0 Likes

Fixed. Soon in your editors :sunglasses:

UPDATE: already has released v1.1.6 - enjoy! :wink:

0 Likes

Am I doing something stupid?

I just installed Zen Tabs 1.1.6 on ST2, but it doesn’t seem to be working. When I restart Sublime, I see this in the console:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./sublime_plugin.py”, line 62, in reload_plugin
File “./ZenTabs.py”, line 19, in
sublime.active_window().run_command(‘zen_tabs_reload’)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘run_command’

Any pointers?

0 Likes

Looks like it my fault. :unamused:

Thank you for that. I am very rarely restarting Sublime. :laughing:
Now I developed in ST2, then checked it in ST3 and now I will restart both apps.

After one hour it will be available for update.

UPDATE: BTW I am working now on Favorite tabs feature. Looks like I came up with problem of visual marking tabs. So version 1.2.0 will be soon. Stay tuned. :wink:

0 Likes

Trying ZenTabs (latest from PackageControl, i.e. 1.1.7) on ST3 (3047)…
ZenTabs doesn’t seem to work at all. Looking at the console, I see the following after trying either zen_tabs_reload or switch_tabs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py”, line 549, in run_
return self.run(edit)
File “ZenTabs in /home/jiml/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Zen Tabs.sublime-package”, line 170, in run
File “ZenTabs in /home/jiml/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Zen Tabs.sublime-package”, line 182, in prepare_lists
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘file_name’

0 Likes

Seems like this is bug. Will fix it with new release.

Try to restart ST. Should help.

0 Likes