Sublime Forum

Wishlist: a Sublime package directory on Mac without spaces in the path?

One very simple, but very annoying thing I’ve had to deal with when building Sublime Plugins is the fact that there are spaces in the Packages path in Mac installations:

“/Users/breck/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/TreeNotation/”

Obviously it’s ultimately Apple’s fault (why oh why couldn’t they do “ApplicationSupport”), but it really makes a number of simple things much hard than they should be, because I’m constantly having to escape the file path, unlike with other projects where it’s camelCase paths all the way.

Does anyone else feel this way?

How do the Sublime developers feel about it?

Am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

0 Likes

Could you give an example of a problem you’ve encountered?

0 Likes

I often right click in Sublime, click “Copy File Path”, then in terminal CD to the file path. But because I need to add the delimiters, it breaks until I do that.

0 Likes

You can create a new context menu service with Automator to open a terminal at a directory. This would avoid the space difficulty and even save you a step.

0 Likes

You may also be interested in https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Terminal.

0 Likes

I think my issue is that this is a minor annoyance in a dozen places, because of the spaces in the filename, and was wondering if others also found it annoying. Do people generally put spaces in their file paths? I think this should be avoided, whenever possible. When I was a kid, you weren’t allowed to have spaces in your filepaths (and we had to walk 20 miles to school uphill both ways, and we didn’t have a backspace key so if you made a mistake you had to redo the punchcards from the beginning).

1 Like

It’s very common on the Mac OS (case in point: the Application Support directory). It rarely bothers me because a) if you’re taking a path as input, you can’t safely assume that it doesn’t have a space in it anyway, and b) automation and autocomplete mean that I rarely type full paths.

2 Likes