Sublime Forum

Windows SSH: PuTTY/plink/pageant

Hi! It seems like PuTTY is a quite common way to achieve ssh on windows. It does work with SourceTree and many others. So I was curious how to use similar setup with Sublime Merge?

PS. I do have plink set in GIT_SSH env var.

1 Like

I’ve been using plink during development, by setting the GIT_SSH env var. is that not working for you?

0 Likes

Hm, just checked on a work computer - it does work. But it wasn’t working on my home computer. And setup on both are almost identical.

This is how it looks on my home computer:

0 Likes

Ok, found why: my work computer have the most up-to-date plink/putty/pageant. While my home computer had ~2 years old version. After updating to new version it just works.

1 Like

Thanks for following up! That explanation makes sense, since the error was complaining about the key exchange algorithm.

1 Like

After setting GIT_SSH as recommmended, I’m not able to interact with Plink when it asks me a question. This is what I’m seeing:

This was not the case with Cygwin SSH, but it also didn’t share my SSH keys…

Sublime Merge build 1097, Windows 7.

Any ideas (aside from running Plink in a console window)?

0 Likes

Putty validates the host before connecting. The message you see, is what putty would print to console if run via command line. It just does not yet know whether the connection to the host is trustworthy. You’d need to run a putty/plink/pscp command via command line and answer the question with yes (if you really trust the connection) or use a *.ppk file which contains all required information to validate the host.

0 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. I understand why this message appears, but my concern is that Sublime Merge does not allow me to interact with it, as it does with equivalent messages from the default SSH.

0 Likes