Sublime Forum

Windows key mappings

Hi, I’m using 4169 Sublime Text. Under File, it says that there’s a keyboard shortcut for new file (ctrl N). However, ctrl N is not opening a new file for me but rather it’s finding the next instance of a word. That’s just one example of keyboard shortcuts not being labelled correctly in my version of Sublime. (ctrl S) is supposed to save but it’s not. I’m using Sublime on Windows 10. Any ideas what I can do? (I do have some vim plugins installed)

0 Likes

Are you using a non-english keyboard layout? Does pressing the equivalent keys to an english layout do the right thing?

0 Likes

I’m using an English keyboard.

0 Likes

Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. It doesn’t happen in Safe Mode. Everything works fine in safe mode, but in Safe Mode my ActualVim plugin’s not working.
Do you think I should go back to an earlier version of Sublime? I think I remember it working several years ago (but I’ve been away from coding for a while)

0 Likes

Not really sure if this helps, but you could consider switching from the outdated ActualVim to NeoVintageous (https://packagecontrol.io/packages/NeoVintageous)

Also, did you update ST from a very (very) old version to 4169 ?

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. You might have found part of the problem but I still need help to solve it. I started with ActualVim, couldn’t get it working, then installed NeoVintageous wihtout uninstalling ActualVim. Now, after reading your post, I tried to disable ActualVim. I opened command Palatte and typed DisablePackage but it’s not allowing me to disable anything. From what I read on the internet, a list of installed packages is supposed to show once I do DisablePackage.

As to your other point, I had an older version of Sublime (either 2 or 3). I’m not sure if I deleted it before installing 4169 or if the latter just replaced the former on install.

0 Likes

Regarding “Disable Package”: Check your preferences if “Package Control” is listed in "ignored_packages": (this might be the case due to an update problem of the PC package itself lately). If so, remove it from that list and restart ST afterwards. This should allow you to disable ActualVim the way you wrote.

0 Likes

I was able to remove ActualVim but it doesn’t solve the keymapping issue. I started another question after trying Safe Mode. I can’t open any folders in Sublime Text (only files) unless I’m in Safe Mode now…

0 Likes

To be honest, I have no idea what’s happening. You could consider reverting your profile as explained here: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/revert.html Maybe you should backup it just in case. I actually have no better ideas currently - perhaps someone else.

1 Like

I suggest opening the console (View > Show Console) and entering sublime.log_commands(True); sublime.log_input(True). When pressing ctrl+n it should log both the keys Sublime Text thinks you’re pressing and what command gets run when doing so.

0 Likes