Sublime Forum

Windows 7 multiple desktops, cannot open more than 1 Sublime

I’m using Sublime Text 2.02 and Windows 7. I’m trying a few different “multiple desktop” softwares, which gives you up to four virtual desktops in Windows so you can switch between them and have programs running on both. If I have Sublime running in desktop 1, I cannot start another instance of it in desktop 2. I am able to do this with other programs (Notepad++, Git Bash, Chrome, etc), but Sublime looks like it is going to load, but then nothing happens.

I tried this using Desktops v2.0 (from Microsoft) and VirtualWin, and both have the same result.

Is there a way to get this to work? Would Sublime Text 3 work? Thank you,

Alan

0 Likes

Just tried and it does not work in the beta release of Sublime 3, either

0 Likes

New window when in different desktop (Windows 10 Task View)

The text editor “Brackets” works on multiple desktops, too. Seems Sublime is the only one that doesn’t.

Also tried another virtual desktop software called mDesktop with the same result.

0 Likes

I also work multiscreen and the OP is right, but there are a few ways around this.

1. Open a new window with Ctrl+N (File…New Window) and slide it over. This gets you practically to the same place as running separate instances. The benefit is that you can drag tabs around between Sublime windows and panels; in a separate instance, this would not be so without some extra work from Jon.

2. Run a separate, portable install. Obvious disadvantages but can be useful.

3. From the command line, use the ‘-n’ or ‘–new-window’ option which will open a new window a la (1) and open your file in it.

It’s also worth exploring workspaces too. Sublime 3 has some additional flexibility there.

:smile:

0 Likes

As you mentioned in point 3, changing the shortcut on my desktop to include the “-n” flag is a great solution and works perfectly. Thanks for the tip, qgates!

0 Likes