Sublime Forum

Window border lights up on Apple M2 Pro

Hi Sublime forums,

I noticed strange behavior on my Apple M2 Pro with macOS 13.4.1 and Sublime Text build 4143. The window border sort of lights up when I hover on and off my Sublime window—see 2023 Sublime Text window border issue.MOV screenshare. I can’t reproduce this on an Apple M1 Pro with macOS 13.4.1. If you think it will help, then I’ll fire up some older macbooks or a Linux workstation and run experiments; but then I need to go trolling around my garage—yak shaving.

This is what I tried:

1. Restart Sublime and restart laptop—didn’t work.
  2. Reinstall Sublime—didn’t work.
  3. Searched settings for anything that matched border; but I didn’t find anything besides draw_minimap_border setting—seems unrelated.
  4. Searched around forums and found Crash or Memory Leak on macOS Mojave 10.14.4? post. Then I tried setting "gpu_window_buffer": false; and restart; but that didn’t change anything—again, see 2023 Sublime Text window border issue.MOV screenshare.

This is a minor issue that causes some annoyance; but isn’t critical. Please advise about a solution or some other experiments I should run. Thank you!

0 Likes

Does it still happen if you disable hardware acceleration: "hardware_acceleration": "none"?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue on my M2 Max, and disabling hardware acceleration does solve the issue. (Although at a performance cost)

0 Likes

Thank you for considering this issue and see the following details:

1. I disabled hardware acceleration with the "hardware_acceleration": "none" setting and that worked—that window border light up behavior stopped—good! Also see the following related details:

1. Note: That "hardware_acceleration": "none" really is the intended setting; not false, not None. It really is the string "none"—see GPU Rendering page—and that worked around my issue.
    2. Gotcha: After you change that hardware_acceleration setting, then you should restart Sublime for your change to take affect.
    3. Note: From a performance perspective, I don’t notice a difference.
  2. Also, from reading GPU Rendering page, I noticed that if you set "hardware_acceleration": "opengl", then you get OpenGL context in your console and mine looks like the following.

OpenGL Context Information:
      GL API Version: 4.1 Metal - 83.1
      GLSL Version: 4.10
      Vendor: Apple
      Renderer: Apple M2 Pro

Finally, please let me know if I should mark this resolved or leave open since this strikes me as a workaround rather than a fix.

0 Likes

This is most likely a bug inside Apple’s driver or UI library. There’s little we can really do aside from not using OpenGL.

0 Likes

Probably just an interesting sidenote, but ST3 with “gpu_window_buffer” = true does not experience this issue.

0 Likes