Sublime Forum

Why the official does not fix the bug that will delete the preferences in the >> settings?

The bug that automatically deletes the comments in the user settings. Why not fix it officially?

Is it official that no feedback has been found for so many years.
Or does the official feel that this is not a problem?
But I think this is a big problem for users

2 Likes

you’re referring to:

it’s not something that bothers me, personally

I believe SublimeHQ have been concentrating on more useful improvements

0 Likes

The problem is indeed a long time.
It really hasn’t been resolved, has the official forgotten it, or didn’t care too much?

0 Likes

Because it’s arguably not a serious problem for many people, and it’s a pain to fix.

0 Likes

I also find this annoying, but there are a couple things I’ve used to work around it:

• I sometimes make a new “setting” key named (e.g.) z_misc as a dict, and throw the settings in it.
  • If I want to remember alternative values for a key, I add another key right underneath, with a suffix that contains a list of the other values I might swap in.
0 Likes

I agree this is a problem. I comment out certain settings when testing, or customizing something, and they get lost frequently (it almost seems “random” at times, just because you don’t really notice that they disappear when pressing Cmd+S).

I, for one, would very much like this to be fixed. It breaks my mental expectations of what an editor should do (and what Sublime actually does with other JSON files, which it lets me edit without destroying content).

0 Likes

We’ve got a fix for this in the pipeline

6 Likes

How did you solve it

0 Likes

By making settings saving update the json on disk rather than overriding it, in a way in which comments are always preserved.

0 Likes

I do n’t fully understand how the specific details are achieved

0 Likes

It’s unclear what you’re asking for. Could you be more specific please.

0 Likes

Do you mean save as another name?
like this?
Preferences.sublime-settings-OK.sublime-settings

0 Likes

No. In a future release of Sublime Text/Merge it will simply update the settings file when a setting is changed programmatically. eg. When you increase the font size it will keep the comments/order of settings entries.

1 Like