Sublime Forum

Why Sublime Can't Auto Restore When Our Computer Crash

Hi I like Sublime Text Very much. The only downside is only 1. It can’t auto backup our current work when our computer suddenly crash. It will not resume our work if the file is gone. (for example when working with Filezilla, it creates a temp file for you to work with in your local computer. When computer crash this file is also gone, because as the name suggest, its temporary file only. When the file is gone our work is gone to, Sublime cant restore it. Sublime can only restore if the file is still there.)

You name it, I have tried every single code editor out there. The only code editor can restore file when computer crash is only Notepad++ (the way it does its job is by auto backup the current file every 7 seconds)

Yes, Sublime has “auto-save-when-out-of-focus”. But it’s totally different level of backup when compared to NotePad++. All code editor can only restore our work when the file is still there.

Lets say If we still in the middle of uploading a file via FileZilla, then the computer crash. Sublime can’t restore it.

That’s why i cant move from Notepad++. No other code editor offer this kind of backup.

Please Sublime add this feature. I like Sublime very much only because of this.

0 Likes

Sublime Text normally saves everything in your [Data Folder]/Session.sublime_session. This will include edits to files that haven’t been saved yet, the state of your window, and more. The only significant think we don’t serialize in the session is your undo buffer.

You may lose a few seconds of work, but I’ve definitely recovered work many times before via this feature.

1 Like

I feel like your workflow is flawed here: working on files within a temp directory is rife with issues. What would you do if Notepad++ crashed & lost your session? One shouldn’t rely on session saving in this way. (maybe you can with a session history manager?) It would be far more ideal to copy the file locally to a location that won’t randomly be deleted.

Alternatives for ST:

1. use the SFTP package: https://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp
  2. mount the network folder locally instead of using FileZilla
  3. copy file locally before editing (as seen above)
1 Like

Hi, when i repeat the process. I can’t find the lost text data. Only bunch of session info.

0 Likes

Hi.

1. “working on files within a temp directory is rife with issues”
    This is the default way filezilla and other ftp clients handle the editing process. as you may know filezilla is the most used ftp client in the world.

2. “What would you do if Notepad++ crashed & lost your session?”
    Unfortunately notepad++ can restore the file every single time I tested it. No other code editor can match it regarding restoring crashed session data. The only problem its not as powerful as other code editors. In my area the electricity can go down suddenly so this feature is the most important to me.

3. “copy file locally before editing”
    This is too much work when you doing bunch of files. So for each file I should do:
    -) copy the file to local folder, open in your code editor
    -) edit the file, click save
    -) find the file, upload the file to the server
    -) repeat the process 100x

what I do with filezilla is just click ‘edit’ in filezilla, it will open automatically in your fav editor then click ‘save’. it will gets updated in the server automatically.

0 Likes

Hi, didn’t you try to clean your PC from all cache files? May be it can give the possibility to your computer to handle with all the difficulties that appear during the PC work. I know from my friend that it helped him a lot when his computer had a very bad performance so I suggest you to try it. By the way, I found a list of such apps on https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-registry-cleaner-tools/ and I think that this information will be useful for you. Good luck!

0 Likes