Sublime Forum

Why did you chnage the icon

I am just curious to learn why did you change the icon. Is there a way I can replace the new icon with the older one ?

0 Likes

Everything has been freshened up for v3 which represents a new era for Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Same here… I was used to the previous icon.

It is quite peculiar to take the decision to change the application icon whereas the users are used to it.

I was liking the ‘keyboard key’ style of the previous one.
It was saying a lot about the app and what it does!

In my dock now, I have two flat icons among the others: sublimetext and slack…
And you can hardly tell what does what…

This is sad… I’m on my way putting back the previous one!
(and I even think this could be on option in the settings).

1 Like

We on the dev channel have been using the new icon for quite a while. At first, I was a bit sceptical because I thought the old icon was fine, but eventually the new grew onto me and I now vastly prefer it over the old one.

Just give it a bit of time.

6 Likes

Yeah, that new icon is hideous. Same mistake as Patreon. You have a recognizable brand, and then decide to flush it down the drain.

Which line in the settings document do I change to make it show the original icon?

1 Like

Haha, wow, some of you are really attached to that old Sublime Text icon.

I like the new icon/logo much better. It looks like an open and closed bracket < > overlapping each other, which is completely appropriate for a software used to write code.

I know change can be hard, but you’ll eventually get used to it and grow fond of the new logo just like you did the old logo, which was really boring, btw.

0 Likes

Looks like the famous mp3 player: Winamp

0 Likes

I think it looks great. It also looks like NameCheap’s logo but oriented differently,

0 Likes

Get used to, I suppose. Grow fond of, hardly. The old logo may not have been especially advanced, but it was friendly and recognizable. And years established. The new logo is sharp, offensively asymmetric, and completely flat. And that’s not even mentioning that it looks like the SS emblem cut in half.

0 Likes

Everyone knows the original icon is the best. Even the file icons still have it.

0 Likes

Still no response on what part of the settings file to change to get the real icon back.
So, failing that, anyone got an installer for the old version? I’d like to roll back.

0 Likes

Oh, and of course, preferably a version of the roll-back that won’t ask me to update every time I open it.

0 Likes

Installer for the old version without checking for updates would be really counter-productive.

You can download ST2 and ‘steal’ its icon by using the free tool ResourceHacker.
Just open sublime_text.exe in RH (assuming youre on Windows) and right click either icon or icon group and select Replace icon… , then open ST2 exe and steal its icon. After that save ST3.exe and enjoy.
On windows it takes a while for explorer etc to update. maybe even restart your computer.

keep in mind that every time ST gets an update you have to repeat that process. But youll have the latest version ST with a costum icon. You can also grab cool icons from dribbble.com for ST.

1 Like