Sublime Forum

When will sublime 3 be released?

just like some people whinings…

0 Likes

Hope he is well and the community is waiting for some news :smiley:

0 Likes

Can we please have one week without complaining about updates? One week!

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]Should be lametext.org/ if you ask me.
Anyways their latest blog is from 28 Feb 2014 and judging by the standard for dead projects, this one is long gone…[/quote]

But their latest Github commits are from 5-6 days ago (https://github.com/limetext/lime). I would not be so pessimistic.

0 Likes

[quote=“tacks”]

Stop it with the ads in your forum posts. They all blink and are extremely annoying.[/quote]

Agreed… I had to turn off “Display signatures” in my forum control panel to turn it off. Here’s hoping no one else has anything useful in their signatures that I’d be missing.

0 Likes

Wow, I’m having TextMate flashbacks. Little or vague info from the dev. Forums posts from apologists and those in denial about the project’s status.

TextMate was a paid product too, yet the developer has been dragging out an official 2.0 release for years. Most people have moved on, and for a while that was to SublimeText. However, competitors are on the horizon, some with more resources and a lot more professionalism than Sublime’s developer.

TextMate missed an opportunity to continue to dominate the text editor market, and now it seems that SublimeText is making the same mistakes.

I paid for ST 2, but doubt I would “upgrade” to 3.0, when (if?) ever that is released.

0 Likes

No Multi-Cursor across Multiple Panes?

This is what happens when you have a project where only one person is running everything. Especially if the product is not paying for their living expenses.

I suspect that because Sublime Text will let you use it indefinitely without paying that many people use it without paying. There may be a huge user base but I suspect a large number of them do not pay.

Also figure that Sublime Text works on several platforms that it takes more development and testing efforts so expecting constant updates from the sole developer and tester while desirable isn’t likely.

0 Likes

[quote=“macjohnmcc”]This is what happens when you have a project where only one person is running everything. Especially if the product is not paying for their living expenses.

I suspect that because Sublime Text will let you use it indefinitely without paying that many people use it without paying. There may be a huge user base but I suspect a large number of them do not pay.[/quote]

Both of these assessments strike me as accurate. It’s easy to armchair quarterback this – if Sublime Text was only a $29 editor, but had a true time-limited demo rather than merely a nag screen, would it bring in more money overall? – but there’s no way to prove (or disprove) a hypothetical. And I think it’s certainly true that Jon and Kari could be markedly more communicative; the comparison to TextMate’s defenders during its dark years is apt in at least one respect: it’s profoundly silly to maintain that “develop the software” and “write one or two blog posts a month to let us know you’re still here” are mutually exclusive. (Well, two respects: I’m sure Jon is aware of the frustration this causes, just like Allan was aware of the frustration around TextMate 2, and in both cases the response seems to be to hunker down and maintain radio silence, which I genuinely believe is the wrong approach.)

Having said that, the assertion that the project is dead because it’s been nearly five months since the last build release is also profoundly silly. It was seven months between that release and the previous one. There are applications I use on a regular basis that see months pass between point releases – builds with less changes between them than we usually see between ST3 builds – and some big-name applications are considerably slower.

I understand the frustration, but the panic seems a bit premature.

0 Likes

I just had a dev build update.

0 Likes

Oh, no! So it’s not a dead project!

Bummer for some :ugeek:

0 Likes

Nooo! :neutral_face:

0 Likes

Wow, now I’m really worried :confused:
This changelog look like a 1 week (at most) of works for jps…

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]Wow, now I’m really worried :confused:
This changelog look like a 1 week (at most) of works for jps…[/quote]

Bear in mind that this new sidebar icon feature isn’t just as simple as adding icons…

It needs a new place for icons to be displayed, since it currently only allows for the open/close icon. The theme system may need changing to allow the code icons to display. They’re also animatable icons. Next up you need an API for this to be managed by potentially.

Also, Kari did state that Jon has been working on business things too.

0 Likes

Great news! :smile:

0 Likes

Excellent news, here’s hoping this will develop into an actual sequence of updates.

Without access to and knowledge of the source, any such assessment is arbitrary.

0 Likes

Oh, Thanks God, sulmlime build 3062 was released!

0 Likes

For the lazy. From: sublimetext.com/3dev

• Added sidebar icons

• Added sidebar loading indicators

• Sidebar remembers which folders are expanded

• Fixed a crash in plugin_host

0 Likes

In addition to the observation that it’s often tough to assess that from outside, I was pretty sure it had been mentioned in a post by Kari that Jon had been taking a break.

I think it’d be fantastic if ST was making enough money for him to hire someone else to be working on the codebase, too, but my suspicion is that that’s not the case. (I’m continuing to talk myself into the armchair sales analyst position that ST should probably be a cheaper product with a genuine limited-time beta, but, well.)

0 Likes

I,m glad to see progress.

But the Question posted by toplinuxsir on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:36 am
“When sublime 3 will be released?”

Was en is still legit.

Answers as posted by jbrooksuk on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:10 am
“When it’s ready.”

Are blunt and don’t help to build up good report on the project.
Developers (of any project) need to keep in mind that all their work is in vein when they loose the faith of their community.

As it is now Sublime has made a great start. But it’s time to make some major decisions,
on how to speed up the development process without losing to much control of the project.

For starters I would try to get commitment from a select group great developers,
And setup a good infrastructure that helps and motivates them to cooperate, keep in line and keep on track.

Competition never sits idle… So neither should we!

0 Likes

Jon should just make a Kickstarter project of each major Sublime Version, stating what he intends to develop and how much money he intends to raise to fund that development.
I’m sure that the contributions would pour-in and it would be almost the same as having new paid updates for every major version except that he would already have up-front the money needed to fund the development.

Obviously that would necessarily mean that Jon would have to publish a detailed feature roadmap as he would be basically need to attract “investors”, but I think it beats the current business model for Sublime.

0 Likes