Sublime Forum

What's the difference between Find and Find in Files?

I notice in the View > Find menu there’s “Find” (Command+F) and “Find in Files” (Shift+Command+F), which is only clickable when I have a file open, but Command+F (Ctrl+F on Windows) shows a search box that will search either the open file or a folder of files, but I find it a pain to keep having to switch contexts…

Is there an easier way? Every other editor I use understands the difference and has their own find context box.

I’m on Coda 1 by the way.

0 Likes

I don’t know what Coda 1 is and your question is a little unclear regarding:

I find it a pain to keep having to switch contexts

in that I I don’t know what you mean by “switching contexts” here.

In any case, Find > Find... or ⌘+F is for searching inside of the current file; when you hit that key combination a panel like the following should open, allowing you to search within the current file:

In contrast, Find > Find in Files... or ⌘+Shift+F is for searching within all of the files currently open, all of the files in all of the folders currently open, all of the files in some arbitrary location, or anything in between; when you hit that key combintation a panel like the following should open instead:

Note that both options should be available whether or not you have a file open, and they’re in the Find menu and not in the View menu as you mentioned in your question.

Based on the behaviour that you’re seeing it sounds like perhaps you have installed a package that has fiddled with the default menu in an unfortunate way or is otherwise doing you favors.

1 Like

Are you talking about Coda 2 or SublimeText? I posted in this forum because it showed up as a top Google result when searching for my question with Coda (and I’m using version 1):

I thought it was a Coda 2 section on the SublimeText forum because people were saying SublimeText is much like Coda but I later realized it was just a thread, sorry.

I’m looking for help with Coda 1 functionality. Coda is an editor made by Panic. I just haven’t been able to find a good forum for Coda usage.

0 Likes

This is the Sublime forum so I’m referring to Sublime Text above. Possibly some other Sublime user may also have experience with Coda and be able to help, but that’s not really the focus here.

Based on the page linked this page (or the support email/twitter mentioned there) may be of assistance.

0 Likes

Yes, I know it’s the SublimeText forum, again I just thought the Coda 2 post was a post inside of a Coda thread section but I later realized it was just a thread in the General section.

I’m only looking for a Coda forum and am having trouble finding an active one. I’ve been to the Coda link and it’s not helping with what I’m looking for right now.

At least some users here were excited to post about Coda, and it’s similar to SublimeText, so I’m hoping someone who’s used both here can advise on where the best place to post about it is.

0 Likes