Sublime Forum

Whats for Projects and Workspaces?

(I was adding to the conversation, when I notice it is far too old)

I just moved from ST2 to ST3, and start using ST more powerful, then I come across Projects and Workspaces,

Really?, it seems there is no clear, to me, definition of what a Project is, and what value a Workspace should deliver,
and even more, the implementation seems to go in diferente direction than expected (as read on documentation)

To me, if a project should have multiple workspaces (and that seems great), it should be a way to go from one to another.

I see a Project indeed need a workspace, the default one, and it needs to be called same filename (with diferent extension)

And as a workspace:

• it can not be saved outside of the scope of a project
  • it use the project setting file, only to keep track of the folders added to the project

Personally, I found very useful the workspace thing to keep unsaved data (like to-dos) and separate by different workspaces, different kind os tasks (documentation, development, some_feature, etc…)

SO, I PROPOSE :

A - add a reference into the project settings file to the workspaces it contain

B - add a new section in the side bar, with the workspaces for the project (easy navigation)

C - take away the workspaces from the switch-project view ( CTRL + ALT + P) that is confusing, at least, when the project is not open, or make a dependency

I know this is an old topic, and forum post seems back to years old,
it is maybe because nobody is using the workspaces?
so, why to keep it then ??

is it outside there any plugin / extension for better managing Workspaces within projects ??

3 Likes

Nobody seems to care about these good ideas (at least the B and C).

2 Likes

I have created a second workspace in my project by using the “save workspace as…”
When I later go to load this secondary workspace, I only see it under “Open recent”. If it’s not recent, how do I find the project? It doesn’t seem to have a .sublime-workspace file associated with it.

1 Like